Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Two articles of note

The first form the Tennessean is that Phil Ryan with MDHA is resigning.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130211/NEWS01/302110057/MDHA-Director-Phil-Ryan-offers-resignation?odyssey=mod{sodEmoji.|}breaking{sodEmoji.|}text{sodEmoji.|}FRONTPAGE

The next is from the Post about 2013 being an off year in the Nashville office market. The reason...... lack of inventory!

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2013/2/11/cbre_2013_will_be_off_year_for_nashville_office_market

http://www.foodnetwork.com/maneet-chauhan/bio/index.html

This is a tiny thing, and I could find next to no information on it, but I was looking up the biography of celebrity chef Maneet Chauhan (has appeared on Top Chef, Chopped, Iron Chef as a judge) for my mother, and came across a tidbit at the bottom that she was in the process of developing a restaurant in Nashville with the M Street restaurant group (Virago, Whiskey Kitchen etc.).  Nothing major, but interesting for sure!  Nashville is quickly becoming quite a dining destination, and this restaurant will surely be yet another feather in Nashville's culinary cap. 

http://www.foodnetwork.com/maneet-chauhan/bio/index.html

This is a tiny thing, and I could find next to no information on it, but I was looking up the biography of celebrity chef Maneet Chauhan (has appeared on Top Chef, Chopped, Iron Chef as a judge) for my mother, and came across a tidbit at the bottom that she was in the process of developing a restaurant in Nashville with the M Street restaurant group (Virago, Whiskey Kitchen etc.).  Nothing major, but interesting for sure!  Nashville is quickly becoming quite a dining destination, and this restaurant will surely be yet another feather in Nashville's culinary cap. 

Maybe not big news, but always welcome news. We're starting to get some really good press for our restaurant scene, but I think the public reputation still has a ways to go. These little things can go a long ways towards changing perceptions...especially if it is a known chef (well...known to foodies, that is).

Pretty interesting. Well-attended. Lots of people sharing their thoughts and input. A pretty diverse crowd.

I enjoyed the main speaker, Parris Glendening. A lot of interesting points.

There wasn't really anything there that I had not seen before or knew something about...but it was a nice overall presentation.

I did not see you Kevin, however I did see Duane, Bret and Shelby and i knwo there were a couple of others there too from what I heard. I was impressed with the size of the crowd along with the diversity as well.  I was actually able to talk to Mike Wolfe from American Pickers as well. He is very interested in the preservation aspect from what I have heard. Very nice chap.

Got a tidbit about another apartment development but I will let Shelby share if he wants to, but I hope we can hold off till WW gets the post in the Post.

I have confirmed a little about another project I have heard about and do not want to get hopes up, so no info yet. :ph34r:

I did not see you Kevin, however I did see Duane, Bret and Shelby and i knwo there were a couple of others there too from what I heard. I was impressed with the size of the crowd along with the diversity as well.  I was actually able to talk to Mike Wolfe from American Pickers as well. He is very interested in the preservation aspect from what I have heard. Very nice chap.

Got a tidbit about another apartment development but I will let Shelby share if he wants to, but I hope we can hold off till WW gets the post in the Post.

I have confirmed a little about another project I have heard about and do not want to get hopes up, so no info yet. :ph34r:

Jeez, Ron...kind of hard to miss me...haha

I saw Bret and Shelby. Did not see you.

Did any of you add anything to the "suggestion map"?

I did, and that was not to tear down the Cordell Hull building and add commuter rail from all directions ASAP.

I also added to the postys that we need a major airline hub here.

Cool. Didn't think about the Hull building. I'm glad you put that.

I added improvement of street infrastructure (add turn lanes and/or bike lanes and sidewalks -- improve safety) in Southeast Davidson.

I also mentioned that I would like to see the North/West fringes of the county (the hills and hollers country) remain rural, as sort of a land preserve. While most of it is not fit for development anyways, I don't want to see it ruined by small sprawly pockets popping up around it. I added that we should concentrate on open or under-developed areas already within our built environment.

Airport area hotels are undergoing renovations:  Here is an article on the airport Marriott hotel renovationhttp://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2013/2/15/a_hotel_renovation_outside_the_citys_core_no_less.  I can tell you that many of the airport-area hotels are being refreshed (and raising rates!) in anticipation of additional business coming to the city right now.  This goes to show that the economic activity from the MCC et al is not limited to downtown. 

• Like 1

Similarly, my cousins came in to Nashville Saturday night for someone's birthday (from Huntsville, AL).  They couldn't find anything reasonable or many places were already booked.  They ended up getting a room at the Holiday Inn Express in Goodletsville!  Not sure how well they checked places, but the HIE was also at capacity that night.  Of course, they only looked for a room Sat. morning, but they said many places did not have dates available until a month out!  Is this common (P2, do you know?) or just a once in awhile thing?  If rooms are booked out a month ahead, that's crazy and means Nashville really is doing well and on fire.

On a side note, I ended up meeting them and drove them from Goodletsville to DT and back.  It would have been nice to have high profile transit lines to take!!!

Another side note, the apartments on Demonbreun and Divison near the roundabout have a good size hole there now.  (We went to Tin Roof, woohoo).

I looked at booking a hotel for me and my wife here in town just for a weekend and the rates were incredibly high. The Hutton started I the $350 range on their website, as did The Hermitage. The other nice hotels all approached $200/night (Marriott, Hilton, rennaissance, etc).

By contrast, we are going to downtown St. Louis this weekend and I can get the Downtown Hyatt with breakfast included for $94, the Hilton Downtown for $115, and the Ritz Carlton for $214. There were numerous other hotels downtown in the $100 range, and the a suburban Marriott (not a Fairfield or Courtyard, or another one of their smaller brands) for $84.

Looking at those rates, I would think Nashville has a long, long way to go before we're saturated.

Does anyone know what is being built in Hermitage on Lebanon Road near the Old Hickory BLVD intersection? I am sure it is nothing exciting, but they built a large parking lot recently, and as of a few days ago it looks like they were prepping for a building to go up. Retail I am guessing?

For what its worth, from the 'Tennessean';

Nashville contacted about 2024 Summer Olympics bid

The New York Times first reported Wednesday that the committee sent letters to mayors of cities as small as Rochester N.Y. and as large as New York City in its quest to select a U.S. city to make a bid. Also named on the list – which includes the nation’s 25 largest markets – is Nashville.

“We got the letter, along with 34 other cities, and it’s nice they thought of us and asked,” the mayor’s press secretary Bonna Johnson said. “Hosting the Olympics is a massive undertaking and would be extremely expensive.”

Nashville is one of 35 cities to get the letter along with Memphis.

For what its worth, from the 'Tennessean';

Nashville is one of 35 cities to get the letter along with Memphis.

I don't know why they bothered to send it to 35 cities since only about 12-14 of them could conceivably support the event (and we're not one of them).

I'm guessing they want to see how desperate these cities/states would be to help bankroll this.

Oh, and the IOC is a corrupt garbage organization. You basically have to bribe them to get the games.

So what have we learned in the last 24 hours.....?

• A rendering for the Marketplace Apartments across from Farmers Market has been released indicating this project is moving forward.
  • The 10 story luxury apartment building proposed for Belle Meade, The Manning, is still on the back burner and has a heartbeat. 
  • The Southern Lands, 300 unit, 13+ story apartment at 17th and Broadway has moved beyond the rumour stage to an announced construction date of late 2013. 

Three new projects to track in one day. These are crazy times in Nashville.