Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

4 hours ago, titanhog said:

Oh yes...that would be awesome!  I seriously thought that you were making fun of me and my Paris-style cafe idea.  All I could see in my mind was a 2-mile stretch of nothing but cafes along the river. :tw_grin:

Just as long as we have a 2-mile stretch of nouveau Second Empire buildings housing said cafés. :D

• Like 3

Actually, I think I may have been teased a little a for saying the same thing before in the East Nashville thread, page 63, a little less than half way down. It turned out that the riverfront park plans aren't too far off from that (just not 2 miles)

59 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

While we're at it we might as well at The Louvre and Arc du Triomphe too, because ya know, why the hell not :)

Better than Stix.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, titanhog said:

And I realize I've brought up the "Paris-style cafes along 1st Ave" several times.  I just think that's one area that is totally unused and could really provide a new "entertainment" area for all of those tourists / locals downtown.  Plus...anything to embrace the river in our backyard in more ways is a plus to me.

This. Could not agree more. Who do we need to pitch this to??

• Like 2

We need one of our resident Photoshop experts to take a photo of 1st Ave and add some cafes to show what it would look like.  (*hint *hint)  Then we sneakily spread it around.  Maybe an owner of one of these buildings will take note.  One way or another...1st Ave can't stay the way it is now for long because that is a major untapped resource.

• Like 3

It would be great to have activation along that stretch. The first thing that would have to be done is find a new way of disposing of all the trash from the businesses that have their dumpsters there.

There could be a lot of activity along the Greenway running from Germantown to Broadway, if we had a visionary with a plan.

The workings of Metro Gov. sometimes is appalling. All we need to do is look at the most recent boondoggle with the trees at Fort Negley. Unfortunately we still have not had a mayor with a vison for the city since Breese. Dean did OK, but many things were done underhanded and Berry had to clean up some of those issues.

However, I digress and think that the vision is a sound one.

• Like 1

Where there's a will, there's a way.  I'm sure someone can figure out a way to have the cafes...still have loading (probably needs to be at a specific time of day)...figure out how to dispose of trash...and also have a street there.  It's not an easy task...but if the building owners feel it's another great revenue-maker for them, I bet they can think of a way to make it happen.  I bet more than half of those buildings aren't even being properly used (or used at all) along that backside.

• Like 2

"Exclusive: New Nashville restaurant partnership plans top-secret project"

Two of the area's most renowned chefs, Austin Ray (ML Rose, The Sutler, Melrose Billiards) and Jason Brumm (Watercolors, 30A, Radius 10, Strategic Hospitality), are teaming up for something "huge."

According to the article, we'll "have to wait until later in the month for details."

http://www.tennessean.com/story/life/food/2016/12/07/exclusive-new-nashville-restaurant-partnership-plans-top-secret-project/95081674/

Edited by Canuck87
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, titanhog said:

^^Ok...now WHY can't we get THAT pedestrian bridge over the gulch?  It's a straight shot (like they want)...but it also has that "sail" element that the old render had.  Something like that would be a good compromise.

You'll get your early '70s ghetto interstate crossing footbridge and you'll like it ! :blink:

• Like 1

I shared this at the meet after my trip to Birmingham. The eye opener was that what development they have going on in B'ham is on the Southside, that almost all of it was going to have or already has first floor retail. I do not know if this is a requirement there, but I sure wish that requirement were part of the picture here. I realize that some of the projects we have would not be suited for retail just because of location, but others, such as the projects that were build along 28th needed retail. There are a lot of people living in that area and the demand for retail services has to be high.

My thoughts are that a square footage % ratio of retail/commercial space based on the number of units, street frontage, height, etc.

Open for discussion.... Thoughts?

• Like 2