The SoBro | 32 stories 345 ft | 3rd & Demonbreun

smeagolsfree

2 tower cranes minimum are on deck for this development. One for the main tower and one for the parking deck.

Walked by the site on Sunday and I was trying to figure out where the crane pads were going to be. I think I know, but cannot quite tell yet. I think in the southeast and southwest corners of the lot.

Not sure if sarcasm???

Seriously things are happening. The ATT land lines got cut earlier last week while they were digging, and Encore had no land lines for a day or so! Other than that, they keep boring holes for caissons. Lots of heavy equipment on site.

Site prep and foundations are well on their way.

• Like 1

Seriously things are happening. The ATT land lines got cut earlier last week while they were digging, and Encore had no land lines for a day or so! Other than that, they keep boring holes for caissons. Lots of heavy equipment on site.

Site prep and foundations are well on their way.

That's great ,!! Im really looking forward to seeing this rise.

And To Tony G , thanks again for believing in Nashville from the beginning, You were one of the the only developer that believed in our city when downtown was dead,

I know you helped jump start a lot of growth in downtown because you weren't afraid to take risks!

You are the leader of the residential development in the core of the city ,

Thanks for your vision!!!!

• Like 4

Stop work order issued for east side of site next to diner site. Hopefully, only temporary. Work continues on remainder of SoBro site.

Noticed a really nice pretty sign of a six-story diner at the corner of 3rd and Demonbreun

Here is the Tennessean article

Avenue Diner, Giarratana remain at odds over projects

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2014/09/29/potential-buyer-big-plans-trail-west-site/16462333/

I wonder how this affects the timeline of The Sobro...hopefully they can come to a conclusion soon that both parties can agree on.

ughhhhhhhh that is so frustrating. Just agree that it cannot have live music and be done with it. 

This has to do with property line encroachment. Steve Smith said part of his foundation was damaged by Tony's excavation. The lines are so close, only some gravel separates the two, so until the engineers can sort this out, Sobro construction will continue on the rest of the site.

This has to do with property line encroachment. Steve Smith said part of his foundation was damaged by Tony's excavation. The lines are so close, only some gravel separates the two, so until the engineers can sort this out, Sobro construction will continue on the rest of the site.

Glad they're going to be hospitable neighbors to one another.  :console:

• Like 1

How can Mr. Smith prove that? I thought he had (all but) demolished the building that stood on his property.  Was anything actually still standing when Mr. Giarratana started excavation?

He didn't demolish it, he just stopped in his tracks with his foundation poured and two block walls starting to rise. He left the walls and scaffolding where they stood when his stop work order was issued.

I guess I'm not quite understanding the fuss about the foundation. Smith's plan to build 6 stories with the upper floors cantilevered out over the sidewalk (assuming that's still his plan) can't be built on his existing block walls and will require a restart to incorporate steel frame.

Edit:   I just read WW's article in the Post and so it does appear that Smith intends to move forward with the overhanging upper floors.   I just find it a bizarre design.    I'm trying to think of another example that I've seen, anywhere, of a masonry structure designed this way (with upper floors extending out from the ground floor and no columns, posts or visible means of support).    It's probably been done by someone somewhere, but I'd be curious to see the outcome.  

Edited by CenterHill
  • Like 1

I drove by the site yesterday and can definitely see that there has been work done on the diner. Granted, it's been a couple weeks since I had been out there, but from what I can tell they seem to still be going vertical with the diner. I was also impressed at how deep the excavation had gone with the SoBro site. What a difference a couple weeks makes!

I was also impressed with the framing for the stage going up at the Riverfront Park site. It looks bigger than I thought it would, and will definitely look pretty imposing going up 1st ave. 

Edited by NikOnder

^I'm not sure, but I think the progress on the diner was what they accomplished before they got hit with the stop work-order. Not sure much has been done since then. As for the SoBro site, checked it out Saturday and had a completely different impression of the site. It didn't seem but maybe 7-8ft deep on the tower portion side (if that), and the parking garage portion of the site didn't really seem all that much deeper. I was surprised by how deep they didn't go actually. Good news none the less though as that means this will start going vertical sooner than expected. 

^ Well, "deep" may have been an inaccurate choice of words on my part. I guess seeing the excavated area all level and everything was what impressed me. I mean, it's deep compared to what it had looked like last time I saw it, but it's all nice and smooth now. What a few months ago was still an uncertainty now looks like a plot that's ready to have a tower built on it, and that is what really gave me butterflies when i saw the site yesterday.  

This gives you a perspective on why the building is 336 feet, or 345 with cap. The garage is basically detached, and there is no excavation to speak of, so on a lot this low on the horizon, from some perspectives, the building will not look very tall. From the sidewalk it will, but looking from the north or west, the building will not appear very tall.  From the south and east, it will have some height.

It's odd in the first pic, they kept some of the old cubes of brick. They may use those for something like the foundation for the construction trailer.

One thing that I noticed while peeking in, and it's hard to judge by the pictures, but the tower portion site does not seem very big at all. In fact, it was pretty small. Looking at the site in person really left the impression on me that this would be a pretty small tower. In between the listening room and the diner it seemed really tight. At least it appeared that way to me anyways. 

Edited by mirydi

I think it will appear as pretty tall because of how slender it is. It's not really a widebody like many of our other new residential buildings.

From the renderings (granted, one can usually take renderings with a grain of salt) it does appear to be quite slim:  http://giarratana.com/live-at-sobro#1

I can't imagine it wouldn't be a double-loaded corridor tower, so assuming it is, the northern (Demonbreun) facing apartments would appear to be very narrow from the rendering.  You occasionally see residential buildings on narrow lots with double-loaded corridors that have the apartments on the "narrow" side oriented horizontally, i.e. with longer dimensions of rooms along the window line than along interior column lines.  Perhaps that's the case here?  The balconies shown on the renderings are longer on the northern side which would give some credence to this theory.  

If we knew the lot dimensions, tower setback requirements, and FAR we could probably figure out the tower floor plate width (I assume the length of the tower to be essentially the length of the lot, based on the renderings).  I am not familiar enough with the downtown zoning code to provide this information.  Any other posters have more info?

From the renderings (granted, one can usually take renderings with a grain of salt) it does appear to be quite slim:  http://giarratana.com/live-at-sobro#1

I can't imagine it wouldn't be a double-loaded corridor tower, so assuming it is, the northern (Demonbreun) facing apartments would appear to be very narrow from the rendering.  You occasionally see residential buildings on narrow lots with double-loaded corridors that have the apartments on the "narrow" side oriented horizontally, i.e. with longer dimensions of rooms along the window line than along interior column lines.  Perhaps that's the case here?  The balconies shown on the renderings are longer on the northern side which would give some credence to this theory.  

If we knew the lot dimensions, tower setback requirements, and FAR we could probably figure out the tower floor plate width (I assume the length of the tower to be essentially the length of the lot, based on the renderings).  I am not familiar enough with the downtown zoning code to provide this information.  Any other posters have more info?

The render on Tony G's website is an old one. He has not updated the site.

This is the new rendering

https://www.nashvillepost.com/category/compaines/magellan_development_group

SoBro2.jpg

Edited by nashmoney