The SoBro | 32 stories 345 ft | 3rd & Demonbreun

smeagolsfree

OMG!! What a complete "eff" up on the part of Steve Smith!  Granted, I only know what Getahn Ward wrote, but the guy wants a 12' sidewalk (variance) because he demolished the existing building (which he was supposed to keep 50% or more standing), which would have allowed him to have the 9' sidewalk that exists there now.  Because the building is essentially gone now, he must conform to the new regulations for sidewalk width of 15'-20'.   Doh!!!!!  Or as Adam Sandler might say.... "something that could have been brought to my attention MONTHS AGO!!!"  

I don't have a problem with a diner concept...but I can't say I was that impressed with the design of this one. 

Now that the building is pretty well useless from an architectural point of view, I think I'd rather see the lot absorbed into the SoBro project -- what little is left after the sidewalk setback -- and converted into more retail space. I think it COULD have been a neat little project, but it was fumbled from the beginning with a rather uninspiring design (Honkytonk Central Lite) and the simple inability to follow a building permit. 

There are plenty of other places in the city where I would be more concerned about old funk being washed away for shiny and new...namely Midtown, where we already lost buildings for the Virgin Hotel, and now potentially "Skyhouse" is going to flatten a cool little commercial block to put up a 25 story Xerox. They could at least save the 3 corner buildings (SubStop et al) and utilize that as their retail component...

• Like 2

Last year there was an article about City Cafe diner, a 24hr diner (there are two in chattanooga) opening in downtown on Broadway.

I wonder if the owners cancelled those plans or if they are still in the works.

Also, did Tin Roof ever open up there 2nd downtown location. I know the one on Demonbreun is still open.

http://archive.tennessean.com/article/20130730/BUSINESS01/307300027/Lower-Broadway-set-new-dining-options-Tin-Roof-City-Caf-Diner

Last year there was an article about City Cafe diner, a 24hr diner (there are two in chattanooga) opening in downtown on Broadway.

I wonder if the owners cancelled those plans or if they are still in the works.

Also, did Tin Roof ever open up there 2nd downtown location. I know the one on Demonbreun is still open.

http://archive.tennessean.com/article/20130730/BUSINESS01/307300027/Lower-Broadway-set-new-dining-options-Tin-Roof-City-Caf-Diner

The Tin Roof signage is up, so I guess they are open. I try not to walk on lower Broadway because the tourist walk too slow and I get upset and call them names.

Can someone post a link to the best way to post photos on here? I have a great view from my building of the SoBro and can post progress often.

In the "More Reply Options" dialog, you have a place to "Attach Files" below the post editor window. Once you select an attachment and upload it, you can then "add to post".

Or use photobucket, imageshack, or any of the slew of free image hosts:console:

Can someone post a link to the best way to post photos on here? I have a great view from my building of the SoBro and can post progress often.

I like Photobucket. Get an account there then upload you pictures to your account. When you do that it will give you a way to imbed the image code into your post. The picture will never actually be on UPs servers, it will simply pull the picture from your photobucket.

The 24 hour diner has a replacement. I heard about this yesterday and this has just gone from bad to really bad.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2014/08/fire-up-the-food-trucks-tootsies-owner-eyes.html

Still, there may be some trouble.  I believe that food trucks have to be a certain amount of feet away from existing restaurants, and The Southern is just across the street.  Perhaps they can apply for a variance  :rofl:

Still, there may be some trouble.  I believe that food trucks have to be a certain amount of feet away from existing restaurants, and The Southern is just across the street.  Perhaps they can apply for a variance  :rofl:

I would expect that this guy hasn't checked out the local restrictions on that either.