Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

2 hours ago, codypet said:

Ok class, Center Lake owns these properties which includes the mobile home park.  What can they do with this massing?  I can only imagine, they buy up the crossfit/Cecil's/Rockpit/and Cast Iron and make apartments out of it.

We can hope!

2 hours ago, HankStrong said:

That trailer park tends to leak out into the area.  Lots of meth activity.  Lots of sob-story scamming in the area, too.

As a fresh-out-of-college person, I got scammed in that Target parking lot. Was so frustrated after the fact, but it's rampant over there. 

14 hours ago, bqknight said:

As a fresh-out-of-college person, I got scammed in that Target parking lot. Was so frustrated after the fact, but it's rampant over there. 

I used to get my hair cut over there and once a month or so I'd see the same meth girl giving her story to people at WaWa.  "My husband and I are being split up at the homeless shelter, we need $29.26 for a motel room just for one night so we can be a family."  "I broke down up the road near the hospital and I need $17.43 to buy a gas can and a couple of gallons of gas to get home from seeing my 87 year old grandmother at the hospital."

It's always some very specific amount of money for some random, but very specific thing.

1 hour ago, HankStrong said:

I used to get my hair cut over there and once a month or so I'd see the same meth girl giving her story to people at WaWa.  "My husband and I are being split up at the homeless shelter, we need $29.26 for a motel room just for one night so we can be a family."  "I broke down up the road near the hospital and I need $17.43 to buy a gas can and a couple of gallons of gas to get home from seeing my 87 year old grandmother at the hospital."

It's always some very specific amount of money for some random, but very specific thing.

The girl who got me claimed she locked herself out of her car and she needed $35 for a pop-a-lock and that she worked over at Applebees and I could call to confirm. Should have realized the glazed over eyes and bandage around her elbow area...sigh. Live and learn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HankStrong said:

27 minutes ago, bqknight said:

The girl who got me claimed she locked herself out of her car and she needed $35 for a pop-a-lock and that she worked over at Applebees and I could call to confirm. Should have realized the glazed over eyes and bandage around her elbow area...sigh. Live and learn.

When that kind of thing happens to me I just start making up sob stories of my own. I'm unemployed, I'm on disability, my horse broke it's leg and I had to shoot him, all my money goes to saving up for grandma's goiter removal surgery, etc, etc. They don't have much patience for hearing about other people's problems, so after a very short time, they're outta there.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, HankStrong said:

Yes, that Wawa parking lot has hardened my heart to not even make eye contact with the scammers. That being said my husband and I were in the publix lot and a kid started in with the I really hate to ask but....and on went the spiel and as usual I kept walking until he got to the part where "I was in band with your son" :tw_fearful: so we gave him some $

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, angela1117 said:

Yes, that Wawa parking lot has hardened my heart to not even make eye contact with the scammers. That being said my husband and I were in the publix lot and a kid started in with the I really hate to ask but....and on went the spiel and as usual I kept walking until he got to the part where "I was in band with your son" :tw_fearful: so we gave him some $

“people give to people not to causes” as I learned long ago in my fundraising days.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JFW657 said:

When that kind of thing happens to me I just start making up sob stories of my own. I'm unemployed, I'm on disability, my horse broke it's leg and I had to shoot him, all my money goes to saving up for grandma's goiter removal surgery, etc, etc. They don't have much patience for hearing about other people's problems, so after a very short time, they're outta there.   

6 hours ago, bqknight said:

2 hours ago, angela1117 said:

The last time she came up to me and gave me the homeless shelter line I responded "My best friend runs the Coalition for the Homeless here in Orlando, so I can pull some strings and get them put in together at a place.  Let me finish pumping my gas and I'll give them a call.  Go get your husband and let's make this happen."

She said "oh that won't work,  thanks" and went away.

My best friend doesn't actually work there, but as soon as I offered, she wanted no part of me.

Edited by HankStrong
  • Like 2

I had a similar story from a woman who said her car broke down and she needed money for jumper cables.  I told her I had a jumper box and asked where the car was, and she said Casselberry.  I was like how the hell did you get down here if the car is broken down in Casselberry?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, codypet said:

I had a similar story from a woman who said her car broke down and she needed money for jumper cables.  I told her I had a jumper box and asked where the car was, and she said Casselberry.  I was like how the hell did you get down here if the car is broken down in Casselberry?

Too funny.

She spent all the money she could have used to buy jumper cables in Casselberry, on a cab from Casselberry to SODO so she could beg for money to buy jumper cables.... 

I wonder how she proposed to get back to Casselberry with her new cables. 

I never give these people anything. 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2022 at 9:58 AM, JFW657 said:

LOL.  My horse broke.  LOL.

On 4/6/2022 at 1:05 PM, spenser1058 said:

“people give to people not to causes” as I learned long ago in my fundraising days.

I don't give to causes.  We donate, but after learning about NFP's etc., they are just big money making operations, as are foundations.  I know how much some of these people get paid (the execs) and it makes me want to throw up. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2022 at 10:08 PM, Jernigan said:

You’d almost have a great route all the way through to Holden if it wan’t for a fence disconnecting MacArthur Drive and Albert Street. 

Agreed, but from the City's perspective, their interest ends at Pineloch. OC would need to take it from there. 

8 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Agreed, but from the City's perspective, their interest ends at Pineloch. OC would need to take it from there. 

No treatments needed.  Just need a city neighborhood and a HOA in the county to agree with it.  Not a gates community so likely the issue is just vehicle traffic. Some bollards would suffice.   Whats the win-win?  County residents can bike to Starbucks or Rockpit Brewing.   City residents can bike to Cypress Grove Park or Gatlin Hall Brewing (theres a theme here)

4A64688C-9261-40BB-8851-74E34853F1BF.jpeg

861EA6CE-4927-4C22-822D-25D38E676DE6.jpeg

91E17992-B557-4DB7-9F34-8D6DA55F32AA.jpeg

Edited by Jernigan

On 4/21/2022 at 4:18 PM, AmIReal said:

The urban trail section along Division- between Gore and Michigan is complete.

https://www.yourcommunitypaper.com/articles/orlando-urban-trail-extended-along-division-avenue/

Its getting closer. The metal trellises and the SODO Bike Trail crosswalks still need to be installed.  Things should be wrapping up by early June.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

I've been following them on Insta, I don't think its open yet.  Excited to try though.  Rob typically does good stuff.

Thanks for sharing this. Always up for new pizza in the neighborhood.

I was excited to try the pizza place in the Gatlin Hall Brewing but quickly lost my appetite when I saw the chefs very long beard not in a beard net or restraint and his bare hands all over the dough.  I sent them a message on Instagram to let them know this was a deal breaker at least for me but never heard anything back.  

9 minutes ago, angela1117 said:

Thanks for sharing this. Always up for new pizza in the neighborhood.

I was excited to try the pizza place in the Gatlin Hall Brewing but quickly lost my appetite when I saw the chefs very long beard not in a beard net or restraint and his bare hands all over the dough.  I sent them a message on Instagram to let them know this was a deal breaker at least for me but never heard anything back.  

Can't argue that .  I don't think I've ever done the pizza.  I tend to do the hamburger place or Da Kine Poke.  The cheese curds are amazing.

• Like 1