Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

11 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Good!

Not really. People arriving at the Amtrak have no easy way to get to Downtown (an occasional weekday SunRail or one hourly bus that takes you to Lynx Central). Not to mention all the residents who have to drive two-three miles and find parking just to do anything downtown. 

Likewise, the whole Ivanhoe Lake area (North Orange and Virginia) has seen hundreds of new units go up and is served by one bus route and an inconveniently located SunRail station. 

• Like 1

On 11/2/2023 at 10:48 AM, orlandocity87 said:

Not really. People arriving at the Amtrak have no easy way to get to Downtown (an occasional weekday SunRail or one hourly bus that takes you to Lynx Central). Not to mention all the residents who have to drive two-three miles and find parking just to do anything downtown. 

Likewise, the whole Ivanhoe Lake area (North Orange and Virginia) has seen hundreds of new units go up and is served by one bus route and an inconveniently located SunRail station. 

Its a better idea to the north than the south but the fact that you could rationalize a major local transit investment around ferrying Amtrak passengers trying to get downtown is simply madness.  One doesn’t simply take a twice a day Amtrak train and then need 15 minute headways.

As for the residents? They are closer to Orange Ave. We currently have 10-15 minute headways between LCS and Michigan (8 buses an hour). We don’t have a service issue, we have a simple branding issue.

1) Make buses free once they pass Michigan heading north.

2) Leverage technology to allow rides southbound free if you exit/tap off before Michigan

3) Place branded LYMMO-like stops along Orange Avenue that explain that you can get on any bus and it will take you towards Lake Eola and the station.

4) Tell the Amtrak passengers to walk 2 blocks and then tell them, “sorry for the convenience”

I should add that dedicated lanes on Orange have never/will never be an option. So it wouldnt even be BRT.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2023 at 8:05 PM, Jernigan said:

Its a better idea to the north than the south but the fact that you could rationalize a major local transit investment around ferrying Amtrak passengers trying to get downtown is simply madness.  One doesn’t simply take a twice a day Amtrak train and then need 15 minute headways.

As for the residents? They are closer to Orange Ave. We currently have 10-15 minute headways between LCS and Michigan (8 buses an hour). We don’t have a service issue, we have a simple branding issue.

1) Make buses free once they pass Michigan heading north.

2) Leverage technology to allow rides southbound free if you exit/tap off before Michigan

3) Place branded LYMMO-like stops along Orange Avenue that explain that you can get on any bus and it will take you towards Lake Eola and the station.

4) Tell the Amtrak passengers to walk 2 blocks and then tell them, “sorry for the convenience”

I should add that dedicated lanes on Orange have never/will never be an option. So it wouldnt even be BRT.

I don't think connecting the city's only intercity train station with its main businesses/entertainment hub is madness. Orlando had absolutely no foresight when it decided to have an intercity train station south of downtown, its main bus/SunRail station north of downtown, Greyhound out in Pine Hills, and the newest station down by the airport. 

A "major investment" would be an actual streetcar.

But I do like your idea of improved stops and more informative branding around the existing bus lines. 

12 hours ago, orlandocity87 said:

I don't think connecting the city's only intercity train station with its main businesses/entertainment hub is madness. Orlando had absolutely no foresight when it decided to have an intercity train station south of downtown, its main bus/SunRail station north of downtown, Greyhound out in Pine Hills, and the newest station down by the airport. 

A "major investment" would be an actual streetcar.

But I do like your idea of improved stops and more informative branding around the existing bus lines. 

On paper, sure. Have you ridden those services?  The clientele is what you’d expect for the level of service.  In any case, build the city for the residents and the tourism will take care of itself.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/30/2023 at 11:42 AM, nite owℓ said:

I'm only posting this since there's not a whole lot of development going on (I imagine we'll be in another development slump for a long time, but I digress).

New homes on the way in Sodo/Wadeview Park on Page St (near TD Bank). Old homes razed and lots have been cleared for a while with no activity, so I thought construction would get put on hold during the housing slowdown... But it looks like they are going ahead as planned.

Builder is David Weekly and per the booklet on page 11, six homes are planned for the area. Not sure if they are building homes one by one or as they sell. Asking price ~ $1M, so get your checkbooks ready! 😜

https://simplebooklet.com/orlandocentralliving#page=11

9e62c79f16939488a15c4346b7e729f4-cc_ft_768.webp.12275bc62cb281f221c258e63b45da51.webp

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/201-Page-St-Orlando-FL-32806/46034661_zpid/

20230926_100231.jpg

20230926_100050.jpg

Construction update photos.

I'm glad the developer was able to move forward on these despite the RE downturn. Also good to see they left a few mature street trees intact. I'm hoping this development spurs even more revitalization along Page St (similar to Grant).

20231210_083350.thumb.jpg.2926b0c4f21b91ef5d1e1cc79b1878e1.jpg

20231210_083356.thumb.jpg.38d5be7bbccc15fe0733610c9303a4d9.jpg

20231210_084013.thumb.jpg.4f09b475753ccb310f774148d1f740ee.jpg

20231210_083420.thumb.jpg.f2e8039198a8edaaca6cb2262c62c939.jpg

20231210_083452.thumb.jpg.d1152fac54ca7adf0a20e4ac4dfffe8f.jpg

Looks like there were 2 lots left for sale, both appear to be pending from what I see on the mls. Asking prices are 300k for regular rectangle lot and 329k for L shaped lot.

20231210_083508.thumb.jpg.777f94125f9f37b1f2c4cb14e2278d29.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I see it a bit differently... I don't see the problem. If the house were located on the interior of the neighborhood (rather than on the perimeter facing a busy thoroughfare) then I could see the point of wanting to renovate and save the character of the neighborhood. But it's basically a shack facing Orange Ave and deserves to be replaced with a commercial building, further establishing the streetwall.

Also, the medspa further diversifies neighborhood amenities in the area vs yet another medical/office building going up.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

The road work on S Orange between ORMC and Kaley is an absolute cluster****. I’m genuinely shocked that FDOT has let it get this bad. Southbound lane drops with no barrels in front of the arrow board, and plenty of conflicting pavement markings. Then suddenly it opens up to three lanes that merge into two with the middle just disappearing. And today the contractor has a giant hole in the road and is flagging traffic during rush hour. 

The good news is that when you get into an accident you won’t be far from the ER (/rant)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/26/2024 at 11:37 PM, Jernigan said:

That short environmental fencing has gone up around the property in front of the Mark at SoDo apartments.  

This lot was cleared this week. Several large trees removed.

• Like 2