The Bad News Report

tozmervo

38 minutes ago, Niner National said:

Not surprised. GE is transitioning to be more of a tech and software development company than manufacturing. Raleigh has a much better workforce for that than we do.

I never thought they'd go to Raleigh, all on their own.

Too many other places that met their criteria with trains and more planes, not just software developers.

• 2 weeks later...

Electrolux is in a major transition of leadership and thus vision. They really need to figure out their place in the appliance world and try to come up with a strategy other than buying up other appliance companies, but that vision will take time with new leadership. The expansion plans could resurface in the future, but right now they need the new leaders to get acquainted with the company, rather than running a facility expansion determined by their predecessors. 

It is good the new exec for North America already lives in Charlotte. He is settled down here and has been with Husqvarna. Better than them bringing in somebody not from town.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Electrolux is in a major transition of leadership and thus vision. They really need to figure out their place in the appliance world and try to come up with a strategy other than buying up other appliance companies, but that vision will take time with new leadership. The expansion plans could resurface in the future, but right now they need the new leaders to get acquainted with the company, rather than running a facility expansion determined by their predecessors. 

It is good the new exec for North America already lives in Charlotte. He is settled down here and has been with Husqvarna. Better than them bringing in somebody not from town.

Do you know anyone who's bought an Electrolux appliance?

My point is that it's a weak brand and it also has a so-so reliability record.

I'm guessing Haier buys the US business from Electrolux in the next couple of years.

Edited by Silicon Dogwoods
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Silicon Dogwoods said:

Do you know anyone who's bought an Electrolux appliance?

My point is that it's a weak brand and it also has a so-so reliability record.

I'm guessing Haier buys the US business from Electrolux in the next couple of years.

The DOJ blocked GE - Electrolux. Now that Haier is buying GE Appliances, I would be surprised if they allowed a super combined Haier - GE - Electrolux. Maybe LG or Samsung would buy Electrolux North America.

Edited by CLT2014

• 2 weeks later...

Not the best for bragging rights, but it is only 80 jobs. We are gaining Albermarle Corporation's HQ for example and their 120 jobs that fit in more with our economy. Carlisle has never been a huge part of the Charlotte community (do they sponsor anything, have we ever met somebody working there???) and this is a bigger win for the Phoenix metro than a loss for the Charlotte metro. Phoenix really under-performs in the number of headquarters they have compared to their peer cities. Metro Phoenix has over 4 million people and still has less Fortune 500 companies than the Charlotte metro which is half the size.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, kermit said:

agreed. They have been crappy corporate citizens.

Arizona is acting like they just landed the HQ of General Electric or Google...

I don't believe Carlisle's CEO, who was recruited to the firm and became CEO in 2014, ever moved to Charlotte from Minnesota. He's probably tired of the cold and is looking forward to golfing in Arizona in the sunshine at the HQ he moved. They are grasping for business justifications to be in Phoenix, which makes me think it is a lifestyle move for a CEO who has always wanted to move to the desert and he is now in charge and can make it happen. For example, it is interesting they are celebrating the access to Asia from Phoenix... Texas would have made more sense for that with many more direct flights and also have low cost of business. Phoenix does not have any direct flights to Asia and only one flight to Europe. What is right next to their new HQ though... lots of golf with a climate opposite Minnesota. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

I don't like to see any corporate headquarters leave but I agree this is more of a lifestyle choice for the CEO than a reflection of Charlotte.  In the good news department right up the street Met Life continues to expand they now have 500,000 sq ft in those 2 buildings (the Woodward and Gragg)  in Ballantyne leaving only 2 floors unleased. That means jobs and last count it was 1500 and growing well beyond the 1286 they promised to create.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Silicon Dogwoods said:

Sounds like they are exploring splitting MetLife retail up bit by bit. How much of MetLife's retail business is due to their own 4,000 agents vs. indirect and brokered sales? I'm guessing a portion of the workforce in Ballantyne support the Premier sales force in compliance, etc...

They might be able to stick with a combined company since MassMutual seems to like Charlotte. 

22 minutes ago, Silicon Dogwoods said:

I would say this is fantastic news. It seems evident Mass Mutual is looking to move here completely (300 S Tryon becoming the Mass Mutual building wouldnt surprise me in the slightest). I would argue this sale would just bring the move closer to reality. 

4 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

I would say this is fantastic news. It seems evident Mass Mutual is looking to move here completely (300 S Tryon becoming the Mass Mutual building wouldnt surprise me in the slightest). I would argue this sale would just bring the move closer to reality. 

Oh happy day! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Don't get me wrong, this is purely my speculation. It would just make a lot of sense to me, and seems like the gears have been turning for a while to make it happen.

BTW, someone should tell The Charlotte Observer to correct its website formatting issues so that I can copy and paste articles more easily. :D

Edited by Silicon Dogwoods
  • Like 1

I think it is a stretch that MassMutual would move from their namesake state without a fight from MA. It is their second largest Fortune 500 company. I wouldn't read TOO much into Babson indicating MassMutual would relocate everything from Springfield. Babson has a few hundred folks. MassMutual has 7,200 employees in the Boston area. That truly is the backbone of their company and the heart of all they do. If they lost more than half their workforce during a relocation it could be devastating and the cost savings here don't seem to justify paying people to move.

It also would be nice from bragging rights if they moved the execs and "official" HQ, but I don't see them moving most of those jobs to Charlotte. The economics just wouldn't work out.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1