Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

uptownliving

While it is a touchy subject, I'll never fully understand the politics behind keeping a poor neighborhood poor. They just need to make sure that current residents have a share in the profits, either by collective ownership of the property, or some other means. So much of America got their core savings from appreciation of their housing. It just seems nuts for them to try to avoid appreciation.

In the mean time, they have a neighborhood that time and money forgot. You enter it, and it is like a [what is the opposite of oasis?]. Suddenly, the houses are falling apart and disheveled, people are milling around, there is litter everywhere. It is just bizarre to me.

Meanwhile, houses half a mile away sell for $500k.

I wouldn't say there is any politics behind it, rather the will of neighborhood association. Their anti-While stance worked well when there were enough other communities that were easier to gentrify and they had money to burn......now the pressure is on....houses values are skyrocketing (by Cherry standards) and they can no longer afford to maintain the houses they own to livable standards.....it has gotten to the point that they need to sell a large portion of their assets to maintain the rest, or the city will like condemn the whole lot.

I'd like to see the Target top out at around 20 stories.

Now that would be news!

Honestly, though, I think the 20 story condo building is the most important piece. For folks that haven't made the connection before, it will bring the idea of highrises in Midtown to being reality. It shouldn't take too long to have a secondary skyline pop up after that.

And do you car guys happen to know if the lifespan of BMWs is less than 5-7 years? It seems to me that cars built in 1999 or 2001 would still be on the roads in 2007/2008, when this Target will be in operation. Seems like reasonable clipart to include in the rendering to me. :) But I might just be used to Japanese cars, which last a while.

The cars seem fine to me, but I don't think they sell strollers any more that collapse like that.