Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

uptownliving

Midtown Sundries was in a flood plain. Grass and trees will go in its place, as part of Pearl Street Park and Little Sugar Creek Greenway.

In Mo's photo, the rest of the building (to the left) will go, but the building with the R/Realtor sign behind the power lines will remain. Although, who knows, maybe someone will buy it for a new project, considering it has a great skyline view, and fronts a park and a new urbanist hotspot.

They were negotiating for a spot in 1523 Elizabeth (the new Grubb building), but I'm not sure if they ever signed a lease.

Volare and a wine shop are both opening there and Midtown was supposed to go in the 3rd retail space right next to the Carpe Diem building.

I suspect they'll open some where around there, in either the Midtown redev or Liz ave. They'd be a little crazy not to since it is in their name :).

Yeah I know, and that was the original location. It makes no sense to have the only Midtown Sundries locations nowhere near midtown.

What do you mean nothing new!?! This means Phase II, the part south of Independence Blvd is now a go for September according to the developer. That is big news, as even though they were doing demolition, there hadn't been any announcements that they would actually build it right away. Now, all the buildings in the project will come online continually over the next couple years.

I wonder what the specialty grocer is. Would it be Dean and Deluca, like at Phillip's Place? Maybe (hopefully) NC-based Fresh Market to compete with Whole Foods?

I don't see the mention of Best Buy, as had been rumored for the corner of King's and Indy for a little while. Hopefully that is still in play.

Also, the name "Metropolitan" is new.

I do love that Dougie ads the disclaimer that nothing is certain in real estate. :)

this looks to be a very nice project. i hadn't seen that rendering before... i think i like it. it looks as if they will use alot of glass. however, i can't decipher from this rendering if this project looks something like gateway center or a hospital. i would like to see a better copy of the rendering. that would probably answer my questions. it's funny how they made this rendering look like the project is on the edge of a rain forest... is that fog hovering above the trees? i am glad to see midtown go, and excited about seeing this part of sugar creek for the first time.

however, i can't decipher from this rendering if this project looks something like gateway center or a hospital. i would like to see a better copy of the rendering. that would probably answer my questions. it's funny how they made this rendering look like the project is on the edge of a rain forest... is that fog hovering above the trees?

Yea, it does have that hospital look, hopefully the retail and restaurant signage should give it enough color to avoid this problem. A hospital in the rain forest... interesting thought. Somebody has to take care of the poachers.