Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

uptownliving

^ Is that the old Staples space?

On 1/13/2021 at 9:58 AM, RANYC said:

West Elm is having major operational issues.  I purchased nearly $4,000 in furniture back in early November, but ended up canceling both after extended shipping delays.  In fact, one piece showed up and was damaged and I had to decline delivery, and a replacement wouldn't have been available until March.  I ended up ordering from CB2 (affiliated with Crate & Barrel), and got two pieces within 7 days, and at the same price.  Crate & Barrel in that space, please, instead of just the one in Southpark.  

Any chance that retailers that might quickly fill the space at Metropolitan are taking their time because they're being pitched new urban-format big-box retail space opportunities at a redesigned and reformed Epicenter?

I agree West Elm is a cluster... canceled several things as well due to numerous delays. 

I don't think Crate & Barrel would be interested. At 15,000 square feet, the location is too small for their desired format. 

On 1/26/2021 at 6:39 PM, CLT2014 said:

^ Is that the old Staples space?

I agree West Elm is a cluster... canceled several things as well due to numerous delays. 

I don't think Crate & Barrel would be interested. At 15,000 square feet, the location is too small for their desired format. 

Perfect size for a  CB2 store...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, norm21499 said:

They really needntovwo k on improving the pedestrian experience walking from Target to the rest of the complex across the street. Those parking decks are so poorly designed.....

The Target building and deck are not owned by the same people who own the Best Buy/Marshalls building. 

On 2/5/2021 at 9:17 AM, KJHburg said:

Northwoods doing a refresh of the shopping center and of course planning a 28 story apartment tower at Metropolitan reports the Agenda. 

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/247209/new-owners-of-midtown-shopping-center-plan-a-major-refresh/

I don’t feel like an exterior refresh will be what helps this center turn the corner. When it first opened and the tenant mix was good we tried to go frequently but parking was so difficult we just stopped going. Now the tenant list is terrible - a real estate office and Smile Direct just don’t make me want  to go - and parking is easy. Does Northwood have enough pull in the market now to draw in good tenants?  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sakami said:

I don’t feel like an exterior refresh will be what helps this center turn the corner. When it first opened and the tenant mix was good we tried to go frequently but parking was so difficult we just stopped going. Now the tenant list is terrible - a real estate office and Smile Direct just don’t make me want  to go - and parking is easy. Does Northwood have enough pull in the market now to draw in good tenants?  

There should have been a hotel going where the apartments will be placed. Or maybe where that Wendy’s is. I’ve always felt like Wendy’s was just so not a good fit in that area. So out of place. There should be more foot traffic not car traffic. 

2 hours ago, j-man said:

There should have been a hotel going where the apartments will be placed. Or maybe where that Wendy’s is. I’ve always felt like Wendy’s was just so not a good fit in that area. So out of place. There should be more foot traffic not car traffic. 

That Wendy’s is a mess.   They’ve put up orange cones to block off the entrance to the parking lot so you have to drive around the entire building as if you’re leaving just to access the drive thru or to park, instead of entering once you drive into the shopping center from Met Ave.  It’s like they realized they screwed up the traffic pattern right after it opened and now it just looks like it’s been under construction for years. 

• Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

That Wendy's has been there before the entire Metropolitan development happened and it was only rebuilt when the development started.  It has been since the Charlottetown Mall was there before it closed.   They own the parking lot and building so I would not think they would sell it out.  It is a high preforming restaurant.  

I know it was there first. I didn’t mean it the other way around. I just felt like none of that midtown area seems to go together. Even for what they have planned.  Yes it is truly a high performance restaurant but it’s weird to me that they purposely rebuilt it with all of that combined to be considered midtown. Two streets back would have been better. 

2 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I wonder if this site\rezoning will face the opposition that the other sites faced from the Cherry\Myers Park Neighbors or if this is a done deal since 285' & 299' Tower Heights have already been permitted by Council during previous Rezoning's in Years Past. 

I dont think so as it is located further from any residential other than some apartments across the street which are also across the street from Target.  Plus the other direction is CPCC.  

If I was this developer I would get a national partner and maybe do apartments atop some office space.  Hotel I think that is dreaming.  I think they are doing this rezoning to market the site to a joint partner. 

• Like 2

On 2/12/2021 at 10:54 AM, norm21499 said:

Midtown does seem like the next natural place for midrises and highrises. It just hasn't taken off yet for some reason.

Highest densities - like high-rises - should be along fixed-route transit corridors or within walking distance to them, and developers who build there should be rewarded.  Maximizing fixed-route transit is fiscally conservative...

• Like 1