Duke Energy Center - 48 Story Office Tower in Charlotte

dubone

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know where I won't be standing after a big snow/melt/freeze? Underneath this building.

It will be safer than you're implying. Look carefully at the lower most section of the V. You can see that there is a water collection 'gutter' which is part of the water reuse aspect of this building.

original.jpg

It will be safer than you're implying. Look carefully at the lower most section of the V. You can see that there is a water collection 'gutter' which is part of the water reuse aspect of this building.

But I still think there is the possibility that a whole sheet of ice, much larger than the gutter, could break off and slide off the building. It is probably just urban legend, but I remember hearing that a large sheet of ice slid off the Hearst tower and damaged a car.

While tailgating before the Panthers game yesterday, I saw that they were dismantling the crane. Today, while I was out running errands you can see that it's been lowered down to about the 15th floor. Looks kinda weird now, but man this is an impressive structure. I too hope that it's lit up for Thursday night's game. The exterior work up top is pretty close to being done by the looks of things.

As far as I know the Citicorp center in NYC which has a 45 degree angle roof has never had an issue with sliding ice/snow so I would be surprised if the Duke tower does.

Well the Hearst Tower has had ice slide off its angled roof on a number of occasions.

Yeah, after the big ice storm back in 2003, they actually closed College Street due to ice falling off Hearst. But like Dubone said, the built in rain gutters should keep anything like that from happening. After some serious ice issues at Fountain Place Tower in Dallas, I think architects take that stuff into consideration now.

I wonder if they will turn the lights on Thursday night for the Panthers game. That would be a cool pre-game event if they had a count down for it right before kick off.

Well... they didn't.

It could have been such an iconic moment as well.. A brilliant spectacle towering over the playing field, with a national audience, illuminating the night sky. Could have happened with the singing of the National Anthem; the first Panther score; oe even during a halftime light show "Sponsored by Duke Energy"...

Alas, another blown opportunity by one of our esteemed Fortune 500 giants.

Well... they didn't.

It could have been such an iconic moment as well.. A brilliant spectacle towering over the playing field, with a national audience, illuminating the night sky. Could have happened with the singing of the National Anthem; the first Panther score; oe even during a halftime light show "Sponsored by Duke Energy"...

Agreed. I was HIGHLY disappointed in that. I was driving up South for dinner before heading out for the Panthers game and it looked like the tower was lit up and they would showcase it. Then when the game came on the tower was dark. They were showing countless skyline shots and you could barely see the tower b/c it was dark.

I know. I was at the game and our seats were facing the buildings. I was disappointed it wasn't lit up too. I kept looking at it during the national anthem hoping it would be a surprise but no luck. Oh well a missed opportunity I think. Bank of america didn't even light the crown of the corporate center in blue. No love for the Panthers this year I guess.

Well... they didn't.

meh...it was on nfl network

meh...it was on nfl network

Time Warner Cable played it on both the SD and the HD WAXN channels.

I do agree that DEC should have used thursday night to debut their lights. But then it would have also been a little overshadowed locally by the game itself and people would soon forget the revealing. Then again, I don't see there being another fitting time between now and New Years Eve.

There is still a Sunday night game against Minnesota on Dec. 20th....should be lit before then.

Unfortunately it's one of those "flex" games where the NFL can switch out a more favorable match-up. And the way the Panthers are playing, they won't be in playoff contention by then so more than likely that Panthers/Vikings game will get switched to an earlier time slot.

I'm concerned that this small crane-looking thing under the handle may be the window washing unit, and it may be up there permanently. If so, it really hurts the aesthetics.

Uh-uh. No way. Say it ain't so.

I can't believe any architect would allow that thing to stay up there like that and destroy the aesthetics.

If it isn't the window washer, than most likely it's a crane to help the workers finish the touch up work on the handle or whatever work is left to be done.

However, I have seen the roof of the building and there appears to be a track, sort of like a railroad track that some kind of machinery moves on.

The reason I know about the roof is because I've done work in the building for about the first half of this year. I was there during the Topping Out ceremony back on June 17th and free T shirts were given out to the people who attended. On the shirt, I am looking at it right now cause I have one, is an aerial picture of the tower and it showed some sort of track that something moves on. It also showed a small crane so that may be what is up there now. I think we just have to wait til the building is completly finished.

Archived