Duke Energy Center - 48 Story Office Tower in Charlotte

dubone

So where are the lights, on the handlebar, or shining on it? I don't see any on it.

I think there are going to be lights on the angles also. There are dots there that are probably junction boxes, spacing is the same as the verticals.

The lights on the handle shine up from a lip on the bottom of it; on the rain gutters, lights are recessed and shine from the outer edges.

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The lights on the handle are lit up tonight. I wish they were all one color at the same time, and just fading from color to color. But I do have to say that I think it looks pretty nice with just the handle lit up - a bit classier than the entire thing when I saw it last week. There is sort of a Vegas "Luxor" effect going on, with the beam from the handle heading straight up into the sky. I live in SouthEnd, so I am pretty close to uptown, but I can imagine that this effect is enhanced the further you are away from the skyline. Maybe just having the handle lit up for normal days is the best thing? And for special events or for certain times of the year, the whole building lights up? What do you guys think? Is the whole building being lit up too much for every day? I didn't think so until I saw just the handle lit up tonight, and realized how nice just that little touch is to the skyline.

That third picture played tricks on my eyes, for some reason making me think the DEC was closer than the Westin, so it took me a sec to figure out where the shot was taken.

But then it also got me realizing just how similar in hue and some of the design elements are between the two projects. It almost makes the Westin appear to be part of that campus in a way.

Could someone please take a few pic's of DEC at night ... especially the lights shining at the top.

Thank you in advance for doing all of us who rarely get to the QC a huge favor :-)

For me, it hasn't been for lack of trying! I've gone uptown several times with the hope they would have the lights on. . . no luck. There doesn't seem to be any schedule at this point. Just when they need to for testing I suppose. If there is anyone here that has a view every night, if they could post here that they are on, it would be good.

I thought I'd mention that the crane is supposed to be dismantled this month. I hope we get some pictures when it happens because I'd like to see how they take it down.

I think they remove sections of it starting from the base?

BTW DEC looks great! I think it looks even better than the renderings, and I bet it'll be even more impressive at night when it's all lit up.

I thought I'd mention that the crane is supposed to be dismantled this month. I hope we get some pictures when it happens because I'd like to see how they take it down.

I think they remove sections of it starting from the base?

BTW DEC looks great! I think it looks even better than the renderings, and I bet it'll be even more impressive at night when it's all lit up.

Uh. . . . starting from the base? Not too sure how that work out for them. :)

I was hanging out there when they took the first one down. It is a slow process, one section at a time.

I know I haven't said this but I actually did work in this building. I worked for a small electrical service out of Archdale NC, and worked here in Charlotte at DEC off and on from Oct. 2008 til this past July. We started working here right at the collapse of Wachovia as the economy started tanking.

We basically did work on the 2nd floor server room, 8th & 9th floors and a few rooms in the underground parking deck. We installed fire alarms, conduit pipe, smoke detectors, electrical wiring, etc.

I was laid off in July and I hope to return to work in a couple of months and maybe there will be some jobs for us in Charlotte again. I really had a blast working here though and during lunch we would either head down to South End or just walk uptown. Great times.

They were lowering the crane today (11-7-09). It is already well below the handle. And yes, this top portion took 9 months to complete. Utterly ridiculous, imo.

It was a pretty complex job. Transitioning from concrete to steel on a pretty severe angle was difficult enough, but the rain gutters had to be carefully constructed. They'll carry a tremendous amount of stormwater off a large surface area.

It was a pretty complex job. Transitioning from concrete to steel on a pretty severe angle was difficult enough, but the rain gutters had to be carefully constructed. They'll carry a tremendous amount of stormwater off a large surface area.

This is an amazing iconic building for Charlotte. I'm glad it carries the name of a local company. Can't wait to see it finished and lit up.

Archived