SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

Refresh my memory....where is the retail?

Um, I may have some bad news for you...I believe when this was about to kick off someone here actually dug up a quote from the developer flatly saying "we don't do retail."

For being a podium building it is better than most of them, but they got it more right on the Carson and Winnifred frontage, where there are some patios, than on Morehead, where there is one lobby entrance and some dead space screening the deck. 

Okay... so this is where we can bring something to the table.  let's post examples of good 5 lane retail streets and force CDOT's hand.  The madness has to stop. CDOT does not have a solution for a decent 5 lane cross section.  South Blvd needs it now!

mass ave:

link 1

link 2

I'm sorry, but if our city leaders and CDOT employees need us to show them what a proper five lane urban street looks like then it is time to clean house and start over. It isn't like Charlotte was a podunk, one light town yesterday that blew up to be the nations 17th largest city overnight. These people should be competent enough to plan this stuff out without us doing a majority of work for them.

• Like 1

Okay... so this is where we can bring something to the table.  let's post examples of good 5 lane retail streets and force CDOT's hand.  The madness has to stop. CDOT does not have a solution for a decent 5 lane cross section.  South Blvd needs it now!

mass ave:

link 1

link 2

Those are great examples. Check out the buildings along those streets though. That's the reason they feel more urban. The scale/massing, residential stoops and retail all play a part in the look and feel of the street. If developers built more stuff like that along South Blvd (and less Circles and whatever is at South/Carson) then we would gradually get the same effect here.

How is that allowed? Isn't that TOD-101?

Quick search found what I was thinking of.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/45016-southend-midrise-projects/?do=findComment&comment=1346568

Edit: Not sure why both didn't popup as forum posts in my thread but those are two different comments not just a link to the same one.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

There's a rezoning filed for the old gross buildings at the north east corner of Winnifred and Bland. I click on the site plan link and get a 404 error. Am I an idiot and clicking something wrong again?

2016-012 is the rezoning 

Does this mean tear-down or could it be re-use? If done right, those could actually be interesting conversions similar to what happened with Craft and Gallery M at Church & Lincoln. 

A few tidbits from the Southend neighborhood meeting tonight:

The renderings for the Pepsi / Lennar project look very good (as far as Southend multifamily goes) and include an office building at the corner of South and New Bern. (can't remember if the renderings have been posted here before or not). They will also have a public alleyway beside Colonial which will connect the railtrail and South blvd. The rep also promised on street parking and a bike lane (???) along South.

The proposed park at the corner of Tryon and Kingston is not scheduled to be funded until 2019 at the earliest. Ugh, seriously?

A question was asked about the future of food truck Friday. The reply was non-committal but it did sound like one option being considered is dispersing the trucks in groups of 3-4 in various spots along the rail trail. The goal would be to expand the event and increase ped activity throughout the neighborhood.

The new design for the DFA building will be officially presented on Tuesday in the Trolly Barn. I would bet we will see it here before then.

A few tidbits from the Southend neighborhood meeting tonight:

The renderings for the Pepsi / Lennar project look very good (as far as Southend multifamily goes) and include an office building at the corner of South and New Bern. (can't remember if the renderings have been posted here before or not). They will also have a public alleyway beside Colonial which will connect the railtrail and South blvd. The rep also promised on street parking and a bike lane (???) along South.

No renderings have been posted for Pepsi/Lennar yet. Do you have a copy?