SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

Hoboken was also built in an area that produced human scale cities.  

As as much as we may hate the loss of CM, it's not a historic district. I don't know off hand if they even have to get a refining - but if they do then the neighborhood meeting that is required for that rezoning is the best chance to make a change. The neighborhood can then do a protest petition.

Oh and don't worry, In case you were wondering if the and legislature could do anything - they are considering a bill that would remove the protest petition as an option for citizens. 

Yep, that would be easy. Hoboken settled in the 1600s, across the river from NYC, and was settled by immigrants that depended on each other so they all crammed into the village that now has thousands in a square mile. Yep, that sounds doable. LOL, pretty sure that the Hoboken's density is more than most cities in the U.S. despite its small population.  We only started booming after WWII. Hoboken has been there almost 400 years. I prefer to watch Charlotte develop into a great place. I lived most of my life in London. I know that it was ridiculous to compare and want Charlotte and London to be similar. In many ways Charlotte is much better, and that is why I chose to live here. I know we can't be London or even Hoboken, but I am excited at what we are becoming. Most other places have topped out.  We are just beginning. I prefer being unique with a little from different great places and I am seeing that day by day. As great as the rail has been to the southend, I see very few people walking. It has gotten better since the new grocery store was built, but walking still seems to be only for those doing it for the sake of fitness.

I wish Common Market would consider uptown. Seems like a great spot would've been That brick building at Levines 1st ward park. It seems like a tenant Tryon Place would love to have but not sure If the economics could work for CM.

obviously Plaza, NoDa, Morehead and AU (Gold District) are the most obvious choices. Just would be nice to have soul in uptown

(Off topic - AU sounds better than just Gold District)

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

So I used to live in South End, and am still a member of my old neighborhood's Facebook page. Here's the report, courtesy of Todd Borgmeier, a current resident in my old 'hood. He attended a rezoning meeting. This is regarding the lot across from The Block at Church. Basically, in between Kee Court and Church Street, south of Summit (where Fadel's used to be and where the is a dry-erase board company now).

I attended the informal forum today and met the lawyer for the new development.  Essentially they are going to put 30+ townhomes in clusters of 5 on the lot.   Sq footage will range from 2100-2200, and they will sell for 400k-470k.   There will be no mixed use restaurants, office space, etc...it will be strictly residential.  The con is the toll this will take on parking out front, but realistically this should create a pretty good lift in property value.   There are more meetings before rezoning is approved so if you have any concerns voice them; I have the lawyers contact info.

The Quick Trip going up next to Scaleybark Station is worse than I could have ever imagined.  They put the actual "building/food" part as far away from the corner of Clanton/South Blvd as possible (would have been nice if they maybe could have KIND of cornered it and put the pumps on the backside).  But instead, it's like this....

#whogivesacrap #wearecharlotteurbanplanning

Capture.thumb.PNG.0652f8e904c7716c8870fe

Edited by ah59396

^ when the revolution comes it will be the first to go -- the mattress store up the street will be second.

I decree that all of the reclaimed sprawl-space will be converted to a giant communally-run Common Market along with community fields used to grow corn and hops. All the Liquor and beer produced from the crops will be available for free to the people of Charlotte (except residents of Ballantyne will still need to pay).

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

^ when the revolution comes it will be the first to go....

(the mattress store up the street will be second)

all the sprawl-space that is reclaimed by the people will be converted to Common Market type uses shared with community fields used to grow corn and hops. All the Liquor and beer produced there will be available for free to the people of Charlotte (except for residents of Ballantyne)

You mean "except for the residents of the town of Providence!"

Edited by InSouthPark
  • Like 1

In fairness to the planning department and CLTCC, that land is currently zoned for I-2 and not only is the quicktrip is perfectly legal but it is probably prohibited from building on the corner. 

Having said that, the entire area should have been correctively rezoned for TOD years ago.

• Like 1

In fairness to the planning department and CLTCC, that land is currently zoned for I-2 and not only is the quicktrip is perfectly legal but it is probably prohibited from building on the corner. 

Having said that, the entire area should have been correctively rezoned for TOD years ago.

Yeah, I'm not mad a QuickTrip.  They are going to do whatever they are pretty much allowed to by law, and quite frankly they operate a pretty clear cut business model that they replicate everywhere that works for them.  I'm disgusted with the city, who actually employ people that are supposed to recognize this and prevent it.

The Quick Trip going up next to Scaleybark Station is worse than I could have ever imagined.  They put the actual "building/food" part as far away from the corner of Clanton/South Blvd as possible (would have been nice if they maybe could have KIND of cornered it and put the pumps on the backside).  But instead, it's like this....

#whogivesacrap #wearecharlotteurbanplanning

Capture.thumb.PNG.0652f8e904c7716c8870fe

I actually came on to post the same thing. Was driving around earlier and noticed it.  Complete BS.

So I used to live in South End, and am still a member of my old neighborhood's Facebook page. Here's the report, courtesy of Todd Borgmeier, a current resident in my old 'hood. He attended a rezoning meeting. This is regarding the lot across from The Block at Church. Basically, in between Kee Court and Church Street, south of Summit (where Fadel's used to be and where the is a dry-erase board company now).

what is the name of the property or development company that is going to build on that lot? Is there a time line?

Have there been any updates on the Youngblood townhomes or the site where the Dilworth Mattress factory currently is on W Tremont? Given the rise in elevation on W Tremont compared to Doggett st. they could have some really nice views. 

They are both in Approval stage with the Planning Department. I think theres a very good shot for Youngblood to be built, and I'm very interested in seeing the plan for Dilworth Mattress, but the plans are unclickable. 

They are both in Approval stage with the Planning Department. I think theres a very good shot for Youngblood to be built, and I'm very interested in seeing the plan for Dilworth Mattress, but the plans are unclickable. 

Is there a link you can share that shows the plans even if they are limited? Thanks for the info!

Is there a link you can share that shows the plans even if they are limited? Thanks for the info!

Nope. Only info is that its FAISON and this is the description.

• Detailed Scope of Work: The proposed development will require demolition of the existing site elements and structures, and some potential site environmental remediation. The currently proposed redevelopment of the property is programmed to contain approximately 368 for rent residential units, approximately 6,600 sf of retail and office space, associated structured parking and urban site amenities. The final development program will be further established through the due diligence and schematic design period.

Nope. Only info is that its FAISON and this is the description.

• Detailed Scope of Work: The proposed development will require demolition of the existing site elements and structures, and some potential site environmental remediation. The currently proposed redevelopment of the property is programmed to contain approximately 368 for rent residential units, approximately 6,600 sf of retail and office space, associated structured parking and urban site amenities. The final development program will be further established through the due diligence and schematic design period.

Great more apartments, just what southend needs. I was hoping for more town homes and the mattress factory site. Lumina turned out really nice and Helix looks good as well. I was hoping for more of that type of development. 

Great more apartments, just what southend needs. I was hoping for more town homes and the mattress factory site. Lumina turned out really nice and Helix looks good as well. I was hoping for more of that type of development. 

My apologies. I am confused. I was talking about Dunavant and Hawkins. You are correct about the mattress Factory Site. It will be more townhouse sort of like Helix and Lumina.