Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Is anyone else surprised 615 East Morehead hasn't been among the sites announced for development? Just to remind everyone, this was the building proposed for this land in 2003.

615EastMoreheadSt.jpg

Seriously though... How bad would 35 floors have looked on East Morehead honestly. 

Perhaps the context of Morehead St. is all wrong for something like this building, but the fact that it was even proposed gives me hope that something resembling early 20th century architecture could potentially be financially viable in the modern era.

Edited by cltbwimob

Has it already been mentioned that 3 (unless I miscounted) current projects are building on top of existing buildings?  Portman, Mint Museum Apartments, and 210 Trade.  Just thought it was interesting.

Theres a possibility of a fourth behind independence plaza in the next 5 years or so.

Woops, I misspelled boondoggle but anyways...

The county owns two parcels of land downtown. It's undeveloped and not covered in concrete. It also has a nice little collection of trees. Therefore, it's already half a park.

Why not add a little landscaping and make it a pocket park similar to the squares in Savannah Ga.

Edited by mazman34340

Woops, I misspelled boondoggle but anyways...

The county owns two parcels of land downtown. It's undeveloped and not covered in concrete. It also has a nice little collection of trees. Therefore, it's already half a park.

Why not add a little landscaping and make it a pocket park similar to the squares in Savannah Ga.

Yeah, problem is, that's part of the Hal Marshall site.  It's been hyped for over a decade to become a mixed-use project.  But I agree, it does have a nice tree canopy.  

Someone mentioned the conundrum surrounding development on the lots around the Vue: 214 N. Graham, 401 W. 6th, 309 W. Trade, and 424 W. Trade.  Does anyone have any insight as to why these lots are still standing?  They seem like the perfect lots for development, and also in making 4th Ward completely built out to an extent.  I would expect these lots to be snatched up quickly, and yet they aren't.  Could it be because of the issues with the Vue?  Are they too expensive?  

It was me that mentioned it and I am surprised how little goes in in 4th Ward.  There is the historic district review, but ironic as it is, considering how strict they are on houses, they have allowed terrible designs go in with Spectrum's student housing at 5th and Pine (a project which tore down a 19th century brick warehouse for a parking lot), allowed a half-designed Garrison and did not stop the Vue. So I doubt that they would be an impediment to building a project at 6th and Pine.

I would somewhat guess that the bigger issues are that Preferred Parking which owns all of those parcels has too steep a price on it compared to the back-of-napkin math of a midrise project that could go in.   

I think a modest-height tower of 15-20 stories like those getting built lately is appropriate on the land to step down from The Vue, but I guess the developers are not interested.   

It's a great opportunity too because if you had retail lining 6th St,Graham, and Pine there would be a much more cohesive retail 'district' centered around that part of 4th Ward (and it might help get some businesses in the Vue). I've always thought of those parcels as being a great midrise location (strictly from a design standpoint). Maybe 8-10 stories.

Yeah, at least as tall as the Vue's deck.     I've also somewhat though it would be a solid spot for HT to build a larger store possibly with residential or office above.   If Publix builds the smaller size store, it could be HT's opportunity to leap frog and be the one to build the 2-story full size store and retain their market share.  

Regardless, it is clearly a developable parcel, so I'm not sure why it is being overlooked during this boom, especially with Vue now leased up.    Even Northwood Ravin ought to consider expansion next door with manage it as part of the Vue, even build up to share amenities.  It would seem a far better location than Stonewall at Caldwell.