Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

On Bidclerk, they have a description for a 21-story, 460 unit apartment tower. Which tower is this? I'm not seeing any of the proposed developments that are that description unless something has been reduced in height.

That's strange, not sure what this could be. I'll do some digging.

Edited by Jayvee

The space where Amalie's used to be now has a sign that says Restaurant Space Available.  I guess that's for this:

"

The changes to the building will leave Grubb Properties, owner of the site, with a two-story, 10,000-square-foot restaurant space for lease. The entrance will be on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.

“We have a couple of national (restaurant) groups that aren’t in the Charlotte market taking a look at it,” said Jonathan Nance, a senior vice president with the firm. “We feel pretty good that we’ll have something finalized in the near future.”

"

From this article in December:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article9238559.html

Edited by grodney

The space where Amalie's used to be now has a sign that says Restaurant Space Available.  I guess that's for this:

"

The changes to the building will leave Grubb Properties, owner of the site, with a two-story, 10,000-square-foot restaurant space for lease. The entrance will be on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.

“We have a couple of national (restaurant) groups that aren’t in the Charlotte market taking a look at it,” said Jonathan Nance, a senior vice president with the firm. “We feel pretty good that we’ll have something finalized in the near future.”

"

From this article in December:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article9238559.html

So strange because when you look at the space now....it's pretty dedicated to it's purpose as a lobby.  Not exactly sure where this space would be.

Edited by Jayvee

So strange because when you look at the space now....it's pretty dedicated to it's purpose as a lobby.  Not exactly sure where this space would be.

I was going to mention that but thought I must be missing something obvious.  Since the article says access would be off MLK, I can only imagine the space is "behind" the Chamber space --- like farther off Tryon?

Edited by grodney

I was going to mention that but didn't want to sound dumb (no offense - not that you sound dumb, just that I didn't think anybody had the same question).  Since the article says access would be off MLK, I can only imagine the space is "behind" the Chamber space --- like farther off Tryon?

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.225206,-80.846742,3a,75y,64.26h,75.28t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5oDSMCUzH22wEMMcFF55rg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

This door I believe.

Hold your pessimism. It said groups not chains. There are a ton of national restaurant groups that specialize in boutique restaurants.

It could still become a locally designed one off place then? I didn't realize the difference.

It could still become a locally designed one off place then? I didn't realize the difference.

Yep. Exactly. I would suspect if it were a chain, it'd be a successful small southern chain, with 3-4 locations tops.

Yep. Exactly. I would suspect if it were a chain, it'd be a successful small southern chain, with 3-4 locations tops.

Cameron Mitchell for example is a "National Restaurant Group" mostly based in Ohio, but are considered national....and their restaurants rule. I don't think spot will go to a "national chain"

Yikes! It appears that there are quite a few RWNJ nuggets buried in the current state budget proposal. The N and O reports today that one of these stealth deurbanisers is a requirement that all municipal tax districts be subject to a referendum for residents of the district which would determine weather they could continue to exist. This would mean that residents of the area would vote on the district, but businesses in the area would not have any input on the merit of the tax district. This is likely an existential threat to CCCP, Southend, West End etc. organizations.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article26600362.html

We live in interesting times....

^  Was there not a referendum that created their existence to begin with?  Also, in a place like South End, would an apartment renter have a vote?

Seems like residents in these areas (Except maybe Univ City) would easily support maintaining them.  Now if its an annual referendum, and the state forces some scary language to be used on the ballot "Do you agree to allow the City of Charlotte place an additional tax burden on you to provide non-core services?"  then there could be an issue.

This is ridiculous. If the businesses that pay all those taxes really hated the taxes then they would not have located there in the first place OR they would have exited the downtown after its passing. I really can't stand small-minded politicians that create bills just for two or three of their constituents because it makes them look like they are 'fighting for the people' or whatever.