Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Owner of QCBC told me they were on 3 months and waiting for approval from the city for an oven hood.  3 months...for a hood.  No wonder it takes so long for anything to get off the ground in this city.  

I suspect (hope) there is more to the story.

I suspect (hope) there is more to the story.

I wish.  He just said "I've been waiting 3 months now to get a hood approved...a damn oven hood.  The people that are in charge of approving this stuff have no idea what they are doing"

Which is basically an echo of what I've heard from other business owners in Charlotte.  Charlotte's got a lot....of red tape.

Although i do think it is crazy that it takes this long to get a hood system approved let me say this , many of the small business owners that we come across do not do the research necessary or hire the people necessary to get these things done in a timely manner.  This may not be the case for this specific situation but it often is in others.  And don't get me wrong, i have nothing but respect for small business owners and think that it is ridiculous all the red tape they have to go through but remember, the people approving these things have to go through the same crap as well and if they approve a system that isn't up to code and something bad happens it's their butt that gets in trouble.  Like i said, it may not be like this for this situation but please give the people who have to review the stuff a little slack.  I'm not sure how the staffing situation is in Charlotte but where i work we're short staffed and over worked and plans can take a little while to approve so take that into account as well. Now if someone is being slack then by all means vent!

As for this development, i hope nothing but the best for them and look forward to seeing how it turns out.  It sounds like it could be a nice addition to uptown.

And yeah, i agree with AirNostrumMAD in saying that the renderings of the aquatic center are annoying.

• Like 3

^Very good points I was going to make. Code exists because of crappy owners cutting corners that make buildings dangerous. It just means that good owners get stuck with a deeply bureaucratic code. There's a long, ugly history of bodily injury, property damage and death because of thoughtless construction. All too often owners (and sometimes designers) think they've accounted for everything, and then someone discovers the hood exhaust is too close to another building's air intake, or a hood is undersized, or the vent goes through a paper storage room without protection, etc etc.

• Like 2

^Very good points I was going to make. Code exists because of crappy owners cutting corners that make buildings dangerous. It just means that good owners get stuck with a deeply bureaucratic code. There's a long, ugly history of bodily injury, property damage and death because of thoughtless construction. All too often owners (and sometimes designers) think they've accounted for everything, and then someone discovers the hood exhaust is too close to another building's air intake, or a hood is undersized, or the vent goes through a paper storage room without protection, etc etc.

Yes, but how many needless rules are there that both regulators and owners realize are useless but never get changed? 

• Like 1

I wish.  He just said "I've been waiting 3 months now to get a hood approved...a damn oven hood.  The people that are in charge of approving this stuff have no idea what they are doing"

Which is basically an echo of what I've heard from other business owners in Charlotte.  Charlotte's got a lot....of red tape.

I think the saying "you don't build a church for Easter Sunday" may also apply here. Does it make sense for the city to staff the code enforcement office for the demands of the boom era? Particularly during a time when -everybody- has their panties in a bunch about government spending?

Fast

/         \

good  --  cheap   

(pick two)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

Wow, that was fast! I met Jason at 204 North last night - he was coming as I was going. I'll try and answer as many of the UP questions as I can. 

There is a relationship between the construction company and the restaurant, so they have all of the permit stuff vetted out. The place is to the studs, so there won't be any last minute surprises when doing the build out. They have already been meeting with code on permitting, so hopefully there won't be extraordinary delays with approvals. I don't think there are going to be last minute design changes, just not their style. 

If you looks at this picture you'll see a lentil - it's going to be glass up to there. From the front, the facade won't be changed above the glass to give the place an old school look and feel. Apparently the block above the crapty slate is original granite, which will stay. All of that charcoal slate is gone. 

This group knows their stuff from the buildout and permitting side. The $64,000 is in the execution of the vision from the bar and the kitchen. I don't think they are going to go full craft on beer, but cocktails will be taken very seriously. I'm looking forward to seeing menu, and hearing more about the chef (who won't be revealed until closer to opening). 

• Like 1

Why go serious on cocktails and then not go full craft beer?  "I would like a $15 martini and Bud Light for my friend please." 

I'm guessing because nobody really goes in and gets cheap liquor or drinks because they like the flavor, but some people will get a regular beer because they don't want an over hopped micro brew. Bud heavy, Stella, Sam Adams - there are some good macro beers out there. I can't think of any well liquors that I would want though. 

Who knows, maybe he goes all craft though. We didn't discuss it in depth. 

I hope so. It'd be a big time disappointment without craft beer. Would likely keep me away.

+1 on that... It doesn't even have to be anything elaborate either. Just a half dozen or so taps with good craft beer would do. And no, Sam Adams Boston Lager and Summer Shandy doesn't count. 

I hope so. It'd be a big time disappointment without craft beer. Would likely keep me away.

Have no fear. Got confirmation they will have 20-30 beers on tap with only "like 5 or 6 staples also on. Guinness...." The rest will be ALL local They want to push the beer from around here, nothing else.

Edited by Jayvee

Good to hear. I can't imagine any bar these days opening and attempting macro beers only. It'd be a death wish.

A new bar just opened across from my apartment. Best beer they have is Sam, I guess it's probably a good thing, I don't need a closer place to drink. 75 feet away instead of where I actually drink 100 feet away.

Did anyone see tilts tweet about their new sister bar? I was looking through their tweets and they tweeted their taps, is it possible to have a Coors takeover... Because they did...

Have no fear. Got confirmation they will have 20-30 beers on tap with only "like 5 or 6 staples also on. Guinness...." The rest will be ALL local They want to push the beer from around here, nothing else.

Perfect. I think a high end cocktail lounge with solid craft list will do well. I could care less about the all local thing (we have plenty of those) and more about the higher end craft...but beggars can't be choosers...at least until the Cellar opens up at Duckworths.

Is anyone else surprised 615 East Morehead hasn't been among the sites announced for development? Just to remind everyone, this was the building proposed for this land in 2003.

615EastMoreheadSt.jpg

Seriously though... How bad would 35 floors have looked on East Morehead honestly. 

Edited by Guest

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/9993-615-east-morehead-in-dilworth-charlotte/

^ Here is the archived thread on that site.

It is partly the shame of tearing down historic buildings for a project that is not ready for groundbreaking.   It was very run down because it had been taken over by the housing authority, but the old hotel on that site was interesting architecturally and had some history with presidents and celebrities staying there over the years.  

Just a quick search showed Jimi Hendrix staying (maybe performing there)

http://www.jimihendrix.com/us/encyclopedia#month=1969-5&cat=434&tag=816&per_page=5

I know the Red Carpet Inn was run down, but it would have been far more interesting as a run down relic with some history than a grass field.  But maybe I've just been to too many places in the world where that is the cultural norm.   

Oh well.  It's Charlotte, so turning buildings to rubble leaving an empty or parking lot are considered signs of progress. 

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/9993-615-east-morehead-in-dilworth-charlotte/

^ Here is the archived thread on that site.

It is partly the shame of tearing down historic buildings for a project that is not ready for groundbreaking.   It was very run down because it had been taken over by the housing authority, but the old hotel on that site was interesting architecturally and had some history with presidents and celebrities staying there over the years.  

Just a quick search showed Jimi Hendrix staying (maybe performing there)

http://www.jimihendrix.com/us/encyclopedia#month=1969-5&cat=434&tag=816&per_page=5

I know the Red Carpet Inn was run down, but it would have been far more interesting as a run down relic with some history than a grass field.  But maybe I've just been to too many places in the world where that is the cultural norm.   

Oh well.  It's Charlotte, so turning buildings to rubble leaving an empty or parking lot are considered signs of progress. 

Its an excellent place to hop the curb with your car and watch Fourth of July fireworks, so thats a plus.