Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

That Ricah Spot is pretty far removed from the core of Uptown. I'm afraid it will struggle. Hopefully it is good enough to be a catalyst in the area, but it is hard to make it on your own.

I think you are confused. Not where Richa is now, where Richa used to be. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.228183,-80.841667,3a,75y,152.6h,81.37t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sWKbP6wEQhT9ZiI6wAX8-bQ!2e0!6m1!1e1

Also There are a 2 projects I've been made privy to that are between Duckworths and RiRa that will really help this corridor. Hopefully I'll be allowed to make an announcement soon.

Edited by Guest

That Ricah Spot is pretty far removed from the core of Uptown. I'm afraid it will struggle. Hopefully it is good enough to be a catalyst in the area, but it is hard to make it on your own.

They're referring to the old Richa location next to RiRas.

• Like 1

I think you are confused. Not where Richa is now, where Richa used to be. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.228183,-80.841667,3a,75y,152.6h,81.37t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sWKbP6wEQhT9ZiI6wAX8-bQ!2e0!6m1!1e1

Also There are a 2 projects I've been made privy to that are between Duckworths and RiRa that will really help this corridor. Hopefully I'll be allowed to make an announcement soon.

So basically the Carolina Theater site and something else...

Did rail lines used to run through there? If not, why would they ever own land in that part of Uptown?

I think Norfolk Southern owns the land between 3rd - 4th - Brevard - and the rail line.  Now is surface parking lot, Future a 1,000 room hotel?

Umm...

This borders the light rail line, which was a very actively used freight line until the 1960s and then lightly used for a few decades hence. I think this used to be a freight terminal or something. Actually half of that lot is owned by Norfolk Southern and half is owned by North Carolina Railroad. In 2012, the NC Legislature directed NCRR to sell off their half. It hasn't happened yet but I have to imagine it will happen pretty soon.

There was also a major Southern Railway freight depot building there until it burned down in 1954. The building and associated rail yard were massive... 3rd Street between College and Brevard didn't exist because the building spanned most of those 4 blocks centered around what is today 3rd Street Station. Imagine all of the truck traffic associated with the intermodal yard located in the middle of uptown with no 277 and mostly two lane streets... 

See page 9 here: http://dc.lib.unc.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/ncmaps/id/2298/rec/8

Texas investment firm wants to build to suit (probably uptown based on their temp space in Fifth-Third).

Weird, its not like there is a shortage of opportunities to be a high-visibility anchor tenant somewhere. But bring it on!

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/06/texas-investment-firm-eyeing-charlotte-for-east.html?ana=e_clt_bn_breakingnews&u=jDmEk+CKbYnAvaVfOFOlFGXcGSC&t=1433370586

EDIT: Gezzus there is lots going on in town (and very few job announcements)

Edited by kermit

Texas investment firm wants to build to suit (probably uptown based on their temp space in Fifth-Third).

Weird, its not like there is a shortage of opportunities to be a high-visibility anchor tenant somewhere. But bring it on!

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/06/texas-investment-firm-eyeing-charlotte-for-east.html?ana=e_clt_bn_breakingnews&u=jDmEk+CKbYnAvaVfOFOlFGXcGSC&t=1433370586

Their current HQ ain't too bad looking. 

DimensionalFund-exterior-029.jpg

Whoa.....this is big news....and obviously the Cousins client I wrongly speculated was BofA.  These will be very high paying jobs, probably close to $200k on average....and at 100k if space, implies 400 jobs..  Hopefully the site is in Uptown.  I'm thinking the Grubb/Skyhouse site makes a lot of sense.

This is the big financial firm Charlotte needs....another investment firm to compliment Babson and TIAA-CREF and to a smaller degree Wells Cap.  We may soon began building a critical mass of these asset manager jobs, which would make Charlotte much more of a financial hub, rather than just a banking hub.

Whoa.....this is big news....and obviously the Cousins client I wrongly speculated was BofA. These will be very high paying jobs, probably close to $200k on average....and at 100k if space, implies 400 jobs.. Hopefully the site is in Uptown. I'm thinking the Grubb/Skyhouse site makes a lot of sense.

This is the big financial firm Charlotte needs....another investment firm to compliment Babson and TIAA-CREF and to a smaller degree Wells Cap. We may soon began building a critical mass of these asset manager jobs.

Do you think theirs any chance they will developer a larger building with space they can lease out, or grow into?

After re-reading the article, it does sound like the building might be built bigger than they anticipating needing immediately.  Cousins would never do a mega spec building, nor would DFA.  Both are very conservative investors, but long term investors.  Another good site might be the parking lot adjacent to 900 W Trade (Gateway) that BofA originally planned a 14 story tower on.   Grubb co-owns Gateway with BofA.

Maybe I am missing something, but what about Tryon Place?  It's a pretty high profile space and can be readily developed.  Right?

They want to build and own their own building. Tryon Place and Portman are leases. ATLRVR mentioned Skyhouse Grubb Office Site, because they could conceivably buy that land and develop their own building. 

Not to throw this off this topic because this is an awesome discussion and big news, but here is the story on 204 North. Sounds like it's going to be exactly what Uptown needs. And whAt me and ah, among others, have been clamoring for. (Spartan don't get mad At the glass. It'll be awesome)

http://www.charlotteagenda.com/5811/breaking-boarded-up-spot-in-between-rira-and-sipprohibition-will-become-204-north/

I feel all warm and tingly just reading about it.  Nice job.

• Like 1

They want to build and own their own building. Tryon Place and Portman are leases. ATLRVR mentioned Skyhouse Grubb Office Site, because they could conceivably buy that land and develop their own building. 

Isn't that what was originally conceived either above the Publix or as a standalone office building? Thought I remembered something in the few hundred thousand sqft and 10 story range.

Edited by wend28

Isn't that what was originally conceived either above the Publix or as a standalone office building? Thought I remembered something in the few hundred thousand sqft and 10 story range.

If the Publix is 35k sq feet and two floors, it will not need to take up the last 2/5 of the block. The last part of the block is, from my calculations 58,300 sq feet. Plenty of Room for both. Grubb is looking to Build to Suit with the remaining office parcel. Original plans were 250-300 sq foot, 12-15 floors. 

Not to throw this off this topic because this is an awesome discussion and big news, but here is the story on 204 North. Sounds like it's going to be exactly what Uptown needs. And whAt me and ah, among others, have been clamoring for. (Spartan don't get mad At the glass. It'll be awesome)

http://www.charlotteagenda.com/5811/breaking-boarded-up-spot-in-between-rira-and-sipprohibition-will-become-204-north/

Fantastic. Makes me think of my favorite place in Denver - Fresh Craft. Combine well made local food items at ~$10-$15 and a great craft beer list and you have a winner! Will they go so far as Fresh Craft and refuse to serve macro's / crap beer? We may not be ready for that! ;-)  

Fantastic. Makes me think of my favorite place in Denver - Fresh Craft. Combine well made local food items at ~$10-$15 and a great craft beer list and you have a winner! Will they go so far as Fresh Craft and refuse to serve macro's / crap beer? We may not be ready for that! ;-)  

See elrodvt?  You moved here just in time, haha.

• Like 1

See elrodvt?  You moved here just in time, haha.

The best part is they are aiming to open up in 2015. I personally think thats a very very optimistic, maybe unrealistic, goal, but More power to them. Can't wait to dine here at Christmas. 

Hahaha, as long as they aren't taking their design context from the 5th Street infill building that doesn't exist yet.

I'll wait until I see renderings before I get annoyed. It sounds like they are going to remove the gross cinder block façade, so it sounds like it should get better. 

• Like 2

Owner of QCBC told me they were on 3 months and waiting for approval from the city for an oven hood.  3 months...for a hood.  No wonder it takes so long for anything to get off the ground in this city.  

It was the same where I'm from in Orlando. Small business owners are my heroes for the crap they have to endure (on top of risking capital).