Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2023 at 3:36 PM, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Is this going to be a mid rise or high rise? Guess we’ll find out soon enough but that would be huge to get some height in that part of the city. 21k retail also tells me they also have faith in the area and the potential entertainment district. A lot of potential in that area (semi blank canvas). 

It's wood-framed midrise

• Thanks 3

This is a dangerous game of spotting out parking decks lol. Church st would all be red circles. However, I do give them credit of retrofitting some of those places with retail. 

Seriously though, once that deck circled above and the old duke place get redeveloped, game-changing for the area. Would really help LU retail as well imo although the lunch crowd now could support LU retail if they ever did anything in there…

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RANYC said:

Can't quite recall the user name, but someone posted on twitter that a 22-story mixed-use building at 800 N Tryon Street is either filing for building permits or has just received building permits.  Is anyone familiar with this?

at one point I heard about a hotel on that little lot or an apartment tower but have not heard anything recently.  

Here is the marketing flyer for the piece of land.

https://thenicholscompany.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/North-Tryon-St-800_V2-1.pdf

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

On 5/20/2023 at 12:49 PM, RANYC said:

Can't quite recall the user name, but someone posted on twitter that a 22-story mixed-use building at 800 N Tryon Street is either filing for building permits or has just received building permits.  Is anyone familiar with this?

From the land-use approval filing:

Project Description:

800 N. Tryon Street
A mixed use tower consisting of 22 floors with a mixed use of parking, retail, condos, hotels with restaurant and meeting rooms.
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

From the land-use approval filing:

Project Description:

800 N. Tryon Street
A mixed use tower consisting of 22 floors with a mixed use of parking, retail, condos, hotels with restaurant and meeting rooms.

OK, so a land-use approval doesn't really mean ground-breaking is imminent OR that there are concrete plans, correct?  

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1

Q: How many dark sport jackets and suits and dress shirts, ties, belts and black dress shoes do I need?

A: Fewer than I have.

Purge of the closet this weekend including wool socks(?) wool sweater, vests and other lightly used and clean, quality clothing. Rescue mission is destination. KJ mentioned this some time ago and I concur that this is a good location for your benevolence. This is the new building with housing on the top two floors, lower floors for community services, AA/NA meetings, administration, chapel, etc. and future expansion.

image.thumb.jpeg.d34f2389bcbe3dcd63f59908736c2dfc.jpeg

One of two original buildings facing First Street. Building on left was Humble Oil, now XOM Exxon Mobil. Hanging air conditioners in glass block fenestration. When did glass blocks appear and disappear as architectural elements?

IMG_1453.thumb.JPG.37312f8db78c3acf1c5269e807f17b9d.JPG

Building here is 100+ years old. Connection was made between the two by Humble Oil. Older building will be saved. Newer(ish) building future use or existence is undecided. Bill Lockley told this to me when I was there today and he wore a red polo shirt with the Mission logo.

image.thumb.jpeg.408d6ca41c3b941580750f81ee51c262.jpeg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, KJHburg said:

That map is interesting. Its from Q1 2023, but lists Centene as a relocation/expansion still.  And did Dimensional Fund Advisors have a recent expansion or is that from like 5 or 6 years ago?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

That map is interesting. Its from Q1 2023, but lists Centene as a relocation/expansion still.  And did Dimensional Fund Advisors have a recent expansion or is that from like 5 or 6 years ago?

I think it is just mentioning names of recent companies new to town.  Centene even counts as they hired some locals as you know despite pulling the plug on their big campus. 

• Like 3

This is why the Ameriprise lease of 2 full floors at 300 South Tryon not to mention the 400 jobs is important right now.

JLL is saying there is 185 floors of full floor vacant office space uptown.

https://www.qcnews.com/charlotte/hundreds-of-empty-floors-remain-in-uptown-charlotte-but-will-those-ever-be-filled-again/

some buildings that are much older think 1970s will have to be converted to new uses.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1