Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

16 hours ago, Cadi40 said:

I believe he was talking about the larger cities like Dallas for example.

Correct. Other than those cities I mentioned the rest above us on the list already have a few hundred thousand on us. Even if Dallas completely stopped growing today it would take us 40 to 50 years to top their current population. For San Diego that would be closer to 60. And to pass Philly  (with their growth halted mind you) it would be closer to 80 years. Keep in mind these cities are growing too just not at our blistering pace so to account for growth on both sides you could easily double the number of years. I say the highest Charlotte will climb to in our lifetimes will be 14 or maybe 13.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, go_vertical said:

Correct. Other than those cities I mentioned the rest above us on the list already have a few hundred thousand on us. Even if Dallas completely stopped growing today it would take us 40 to 50 years to top their current population. For San Diego that would be closer to 60. And to pass Philly  (with their growth halted mind you) it would be closer to 80 years. Keep in mind these cities are growing too just not at our blistering pace so to account for growth on both sides you could easily double the number of years. I say the highest Charlotte will climb to in our lifetimes will be 14 or maybe 13.

So you're insisting Charlotte can't grow past Jacksonville, FL, Columbus, OH, Indianapolis, IN and San Francisco?  Um, ok.

On 11/23/2017 at 12:05 PM, go_vertical said:

That is what I think our "cool down" may look like. When we do hit a lull tall tower proposals may be few and far between for a few years but the 8, 10, 15 story projects will keep coming. And I think Charlotte could use more of that (other than 5 story apartments). We have our fair share of signature towers with height. I want more of the dense fillers in between.

People need to keep in mind that the local economy here is considerably more diverse than it was in 2008. Banking is still huge here, but it isn't the sole pillar the city balances on any longer. Energy is doing well, start-ups in various fields seem healthy, the blue collar/warehouse jobs keep coming, and healthcare continues to grow. A more diversified economy can be a very good buffer against downturns.

Comment:  Charlotte has always had a more diverse economy than people give it credit for.  Warehouseing, distribution, and manufacturing aren't sexy but make up a larger share of the economy than finance. That said, having a legitimately large financial sector (relative to other industries) is rare, so it gets the spotlight.

Question:  How many office towers uptown are not anchored by banks or Duke? Or maybe a better way to ask is: how many office towers would exist were it not for banks and duke needing/wanting space? In terms of diversity, it would be great if we had a few more companies that aren't banks that want their own large office towers.

1 hour ago, Cadi40 said:

Does anyone think Charlotte will ever have a sprawling Skyline like Atlanta or will ours stay within the 277 loop. I really hope ours extends outside the 277 loop but I wouldn’t mind if it didn’t.

The Southend skyline is already underway.

a few years ago there was discussion of midrises in the "innovation corridor" along the BLE near Parkwood. But it never progressed beyond discussions.

Well a 20 story office building is proposed at 3rd and Baldwin outside the loop and yes I think high rises will spread first to Southend then to this midtown hospital area.  But I do think more is in the works for Southend in terms of high rises and of course the huge vacant tract of land Levine owns and Brooklyn Village.  The problem uptown is just land costs you have to build tall to make financial sense. 

• Like 1

Just now, Cadi40 said:

What do you guys mean you think the Southend Skyline is under way, I don’t believe there are many projects approved that will actually make a difference, I do believe Uptown will run out of land within the 277 Loop and developers will be forced to build out of the loop.

DFA has established that Southend is now a very attractive area for Class A space. There have been several aborted plans for tall buildings at the Morehead / Tryon intersection. Once DFA opens up the flood gates will open for Southend offices. 

• Like 3

Right now there's a de facto height limit outside of uptown, with the exception of a few parcels in South End it would take some serious re-thinking about how and where people want to see that level of development. It will most importantly depend on what the market supports. I look at South Park as an example of this... I believe that taller buildings could and would be supported by the market in South Park, but neighborhoods around it don't want to live underneath skyscrapers. In fact, the same is true of Dilworth, WIlmore, Elizabth, Cherry, etc. That's why you see most of the current area plans for those neighborhoods talk about the concept of "height planes" which serve as height restrictions based on proximity to single family residential land uses.

So, in terms of where you could see high rises outside of uptown (thinking super long term) - I think transit will be the main driver of additional density in Charlotte. 

• (Inner) Elizabeth closer to I-277 will probably evolve to be called Midtown in a more formal way, and it wouldn't surprise me to see a few over there
  • South End
  • U City
  • Ballantyne (post light rail extension)
  • River District (post light rail extension)
  • Parts of Independence Blvd area (post light rail extension)
  • Locations TBD depending on west LRT lines, and the next phase after that

I have a hard time imaging any other places in Charlotte with a legitimate Buckhead style skyline. Of course, there's still a ton of low-hanging fruit within 277, so I hope those get built before people start talking about the "lack" of space in Charlotte.

• Like 3

Layoffs coming to Winston as Jobs shift to Charlotte for Krispy Kreme

http://www.journalnow.com/business/layoffs-at-krispy-kreme-could-come-this-week/article_513622f7-38f7-5460-a945-4c8f0cfeb6c8.html

I would love to see a KK “World-of-Coke” in Charlotte at either Legacy Union, Tryon Place, Epicenter or Trade/Tryon. Obviously nowhere on the same scale, but maybe a larger KK with a small corporate store or a big window to see donuts being made or something. Maybe I’m naive, I feel like a KK could kill it uptown  off of office towers alone. 

But, I’m just gonna brace myself that they’ve will come to some obscure office building near the old Charlotte Colesium and nothing cool will come about of this

• Like 4

Pittsburgh is moving closer to a three acre freeway cap park on the edge of downtown.

http://www.post-gazette.com/business/development/2017/12/04/Pedestrian-park-Interstate-579-Crosstown-Boulevard-Lower-Hill-District-PIttsburgh/stories/201712040015

They received a $19 million TIGER grant to pay for about 2/3rds of the project -- a funding source that getting much harder for cities to get.

Edited by kermit

31 minutes ago, kermit said:

They received a $19 million TIGER grant to pay for about 2/3rds of the project -- a funding source that getting much harder for cities to get.

You keep saying that TIGER grants are getting harder to get, etc. Yet, you point to an article showing that it is still possible to get.

Charlotte needs to get they act together and put together a decent proposal. Hell, go ask Pittsburgh, if necessary... If Charlotte keeps striking out, it is (mostly) Charlotte's fault...

1 hour ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I’m just gonna brace myself that they’ve will come to some obscure office building near the old Charlotte Colesium and nothing cool will come about of this

Doubtful on Tyvola space, as the CEO lives on Lake Norman - probably wouldn't handle the daily drive ;)

29 minutes ago, Scribe said:

You keep saying that TIGER grants are getting harder to get, etc. Yet, you point to an article showing that it is still possible to get.

Because Pittsburgh got its TIGER grant last year under the previous administration. The Trump DOT has been very clear about how it plans to refocus the 2017 TIGER program away from urban areas:

the FY 2017 TIGER program will give special consideration to projects which emphasize improved access to reliable, safe, and affordable transportation for communities in rural areas...

https://www.transportation.gov/tiger

They haven't ruled out grants to metro areas but the emphasis of the grant program focus has certainly been shifted for political reasons.  Anyone with a pulse who has been watching the new tax code development should be able to see that large cuts to the DOT budget are on the way beginning in 2018. Many are speculating that TIGER and New Starts are likely to be casualties.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, kermit said:

Anyone with a pulse who has been watching the new tax code development should be able to see that large cuts to the DOT budget are on the way beginning in 2018.

Just checked, still have a pulse, yet do not see "large cuts to the DOT budget" - lets reserve this discussion when the proposed budget actually shows up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I don't think this will be the last retail property that'll change hands. I strongly suspect Asana will control Lincoln Harris' retail as well. 

Wow, can Asana do mall / credit tenants?  I had always thought they were about  relatively small scale stuff.