Tower at Main & Gervais

comingtocolumbia

The area where they'll be adding trees is rather sharply slanted from the Gervais Street side of the existing plaza down to the street, now that they've torn out the scrubby vegetation that was there and graded that strip. If they were to extend the plaza out toward Gervais Street, you'd have a wall along Gervais. Remember there's a hill from Main down Gervais to Assembly. There's also one from the plaza to Gervais. So essentially what they'll be doing is lining Gervais with grand trees to go with the ones they've kept, and you'll continue to walk between grand trees from the Main Street sidewalk into Capitol Centre.

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally got a chance to drive by and check out the construction of the new glass tower. There's one thing I must say!!! When Holder Properties is involved it's a done deal. :shades: I'm glad to have a guy like this around in Columbia. Without him 2 of the latest towers wouldn't have been built

Great site plans. I do agree that a better plaza concept is needed. And let me just put it back out there I think McCormick & Schmick would be the perfect restaurant for the location. Well that and Capital Grill, simply because of the location, but I don't really think we need another steak joint at this point.

Great site plans. I do agree that a better plaza concept is needed. And let me just put it back out there I think McCormick & Schmick would be the perfect restaurant for the location. Well that and Capital Grill, simply because of the location, but I don't really think we need another steak joint at this point.

Yep...i was hoping for a more upscale seafood restaurant... I'm not to thrilled about the menu items. I guess since i'll be in Charleston the weekend of the 9th i'll check this place out in person...but looking at the menu...i'm not yearning to taste anything they have.

I guess since it's a SC based chain...i should take pride in that....but after reading so many reviews of how poor the service is there...it has me wondering...

Yep...i was hoping for a more upscale seafood restaurant... I'm not to thrilled about the menu items. I guess since i'll be in Charleston the weekend of the 9th i'll check this place out in person...but looking at the menu...i'm not yearning to taste anything they have.

I guess since it's a SC based chain...i should take pride in that....but after reading so many reviews of how poor the service is there...it has me wondering...

^^^^

So far I only read the reviews for the one in Charleston because that's where i'll be headed in 10 days. I read numerous reviews and many of them said that the experience was wonderful, but the ones that wasn't rated a perfect 5 stars stated the service as the issue [slow service, being ignored by staff, and even the host[ess], and waitors/waitresses were cold and abrasive]...

but here's one i just read on chowhound about the greenville one...note that service is still listed as an issue even with a rave review....

High Cotton in Greenville, SC

We had a business dinner last night at High Cotton. I had read the previous reviews so went with an open mind. Good points....found La Posta Malbec on the wine list...outstanding value. The food for the most part was exceptional. The soups weren't served hot but the flavor was good. They had a duck, sausage gumbo, others had fried goat cheese, crab cakes etc and ll said they were ood. I had the duck breast and confit which was superb at 26 bucks. The filets were exceptional. For desert we all shared souffles which again were exceptional.

The food we all agree was the highlight...the lowlight was the very slow service. Our waiter had to be reminded a couple of times of things that he forgot. We sat at 7:30 and didnt get out until 10:30 where even an unrushed service should have had us out an hour earlier.

Permalink {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Reply

krandy21784 Apr 23, 2008 06:13AM

It's just that I know every establishment has it's nights that are just off, but it may be something with this company. Like i stated...i'm going to give it a chance. I mean it's way better to have High Cotton than it is to have another Applebee's, Chilli's, Ruby Tuesday's or TGI Fridays.

I would think that High Cotton would be a great addition to Columbia's dining scene. Though I have not eaten there myself due to too many upscale options downtown Greenville and only a limited number of opportunities for a college student to indulge, their 2 or 3 levels of dining in Greenville never seem short of patrons. I can't imagine an upscale restaurant surviving this long with other top-notch (some, very well established) in the immediate vicinity (Restaurant O, Rick Erwin's, Lazy Goat, etc).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I drove down Gervias today and the constuction of the new tower is coming along :rofl: and they aren't playing. I'm glad Cola got to claim 3 new towers in the last 7yrs because of the economy I doubt any city beside Myrtle Beach get any of their towers off the ground. The economy is looking real ugly right now :cry: and if it hasn't been built by now I doubt it will.

I drove down Gervias today and the constuction of the new tower is coming along :rofl: and they aren't playing. I'm glad Cola got to claim 3 new towers in the last 7yrs because of the economy I doubt any city beside Myrtle Beach get any of their towers off the ground. The economy is looking real ugly right now :cry: and if it hasn't been built by now I doubt it will.

• 4 weeks later...

I drove past TMG this morning. They're building the subflooring of the second level now at the Gervais and Main corner of the building. I can already tell it's going to be quite imposing, with the plaza hardly even seeming like a plaza. Even from Gervais it's going to be pretty much right in your face. That area should get lot of synergy as a result.

I drove past TMG this morning. They're building the subflooring of the second level now at the Gervais and Main corner of the building. I can already tell it's going to be quite imposing, with the plaza hardly even seeming like a plaza. Even from Gervais it's going to be pretty much right in your face. That area should get lot of synergy as a result.

Archived