Tower at Main & Gervais

comingtocolumbia

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got our own little Wall Street going on. Suits me fine if it becomes lined with banks, attorneys' offices, hotels and restaurants at street level to go along with the museum of art and the Nickelodeon (sp). Let's face it. If it becomes lined with retail, what reason will people have to be there after 5 if all there is to do is window shop? And during lunch it will bustle if the people working there walk back and forth to restaurants and banks. Sure, whatever retail locates there is nothing to complain about, and if it's the right retail it will be something to be happy about, but who knows - it could be that Main Street, as it is still so inappropriately named, will never win out over all the places in the Vista and Five Points for retail.

I'm not even sure how one would go about doing that. You'd have to get the support of your City Councilmember, the mayor, the CDC, the HCF, the downtown business association... I'm up for doing what we can via UP but that would be quite a task.

Let's wait until the latest Main Street streetscaping is completed. If the Hampton - Laurel section of Main Street gets as much construction during and after the streetscaping as happened/is happening in the Gervais - Hampton section, we may not need to do anything. I think a key is Nickelodeon's relocation, which, IMO, needs to see substantial city support. I also noticed that a second jazz club opened on Main in the former location of Jammin' Java. I haven't visited yet, but I hope to check it out in the near future.

^ You can count on more photos than you'll know what to do with. In the near future I'm really looking forward to getting some good shots from the rooftop bar at the new Sheraton Hotel downtown. The view from the top of the old Palmetto Building should be awesome.

I took this photo of the Sheraton from the top of the Wilbur Smith garage last weekend. It is kind of dwarfed by the Palmetto Center and Meridian, but I'm still hoping for a cool view from the rooftop.

meridian%20sheraton%20and%20palmetto%20center%20from%20wilbur%20garage.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Oh ok, I was wondering where that site design came from. Normally I would disapprove of it because a site of such prominence should have that "World class" design. However since they are preserving some existing trees I won't complain.

Dividing a plaza like that with lines of trees is just straight up bad urban design. You don't need a landscape architecture degree to see that it won't work for pedestrians. A fountain would be great- especially given the hot SC summers- but there is no congregation space, and there is no recognition of the primary vista from that site.... the Capitol. It seems to me that they could have had a better design while still preserving the existing trees.

That plaza does undoubtedly need some open space, especially since the restaurant will open out into that space. Hopefully, the restaurant will have copious amounts of al fresco dining in order to enjoy the view of the State House. A fountain is almost certainly a must for that plaza. Does anyone have any influence with Holder?

Archived