Tower at Main & Gervais

comingtocolumbia

I was down on Main Street today and took a minute to try to envision the new Tower while looking at the lot from across the street. It really is a great plot for the new highrise, especially one with an all glass facade. The restaurant overlooking the State House is going to be something else.

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard from a very good source that the restaurant is going to be one that everyone will be very excited about and that it will be a place to be seen. I don't know whether even the very good source knows what restaurant it is; I think they were going on what they were told from someone who does know what restaurant it will be.

I heard from a very good source that the restaurant is going to be one that everyone will be very excited about and that it will be a place to be seen. I don't know whether even the very good source knows what restaurant it is; I think they were going on what they were told from someone who does know what restaurant it will be.

• 4 weeks later...

From the latest DDRC agenda from April 1:

1201-1223 Main Street and 1121-1125 Gervais Street (TMS# 09013-08-5,6,7,8)

Request for Certificate of Design Approval and Certificate of Site Plan Approval for

new construction of a multi-story office tower. Design/Development District

• 2 weeks later...

The Tower at Main and Gervais looks like it will resemble Three PNC Plaza, a 23-story 780,000 sq. ft. office/condo/hotel/retail/parking complex under construction in Pittsburgh. It will also pursue LEED certification.

PNC3c.jpg

Like the Tower at Main and Gervais, it's also an all-glass tower with a "notch" feature.

Krazee, you're going to get us all excited about these nice designs and then we'll be disappinted when the real thing is introduced. I'm very hopeful, since the 3 projects announced and/or built by Holder in Columbia have been nice, but I still worry a little about another basic box. NO MORE BOXES! :)

^LOL, I don't think this will be a basic glass cube. As you said, look at Holder's previous work in Columbia. At the least, I think the most recent design we've seen, with the upward diagonal edge, the "notch," and the small lighted feature at the top edge, will get built. If anything, they'll improve on that design. I can't see them taking backwards steps here.

At least our building will have one distinctive architectural element from these others that krazee has posted- the reverse tapered edge. I think I've decided that as long as we're not getting another signature building, then this may as well not stand out. That one in Alanta, for example, will just be another building amongst a sea of much larger ones.

^I'd say that the closest tower that could be considered "signature" would be First Citizens, but it's not tall enough to be considered a true signature tower. I don't think this one will be a signature tower either, but I do believe it will stand out due to the all-glass exterior.

Maybe, Columbia will get a "signature" tower once the nation recovers from this real estate/economic crisis. Most of the new standout towers built have been mixed-used (residential/office/retail).

This is going up in Atlanta's Buckhead district...

3-12-08287a_edited-1.jpg

I believe it's going to be the tallest tower outside of the downtown and it got started just before things went sour. Then again, Columbia never really seems to suffer from busts/booms..

^Corgi, I agree. However, from the renderings I've seen of the one under construction (3344 Peachtree), it's going to be a truly aesthetically pleasing addition to Buckhead. I couldn't see it going up at Main and Gervais, though--perhaps along Sumter, where it would stand out more and make more of an impact on the skyline. I think the new tallest--whenever that comes along--should be built along Sumter. It will definitely help to give the skyline more depth.

• 3 weeks later...
^Corgi, I agree. However, from the renderings I've seen of the one under construction (3344 Peachtree), it's going to be a truly aesthetically pleasing addition to Buckhead. I couldn't see it going up at Main and Gervais, though--perhaps along Sumter, where it would stand out more and make more of an impact on the skyline. I think the new tallest--whenever that comes along--should be built along Sumter. It will definitely help to give the skyline more depth.

Archived