Charlotte Hornets and the Arena

Raintree21

Drafting has been a problem, but they use some weird examples.  Brandon Wright was a selection made by Golden State in the Jason Richardson trade, DJ over Lopez isn't really a big deal (Lopez, like Big Al, puts up empty stats / isn't much of a difference maker), and it's way too early to say Payton over Vonleh was a bad choice.  Better examples would have been taking Biz over Kawhi or Klay, Zeller over Noel or Giannis, Jeff Taylor over Draymond Green, Ajinca over Ibaka, and so on...

But I'm glad they pointed out how unlucky we have been.  Losing the Anthony Davis lottery after having the worst season ever was a huge kick in the balls.

I'm not a conspiracy guy, but that Anthony Davis thing still leaves such a bad taste in my mouth.  I love MKG, but UGH.

Although this season didn't turn out the way a lot of us thought and hoped, there was one definite positive... Increased attendence average. Hornets averaged 17,192 fans this year (90% capacity). That's up nearly 1700 from last year despite not having a playoff team. It's their best single season average at TWC Arena. Also had 11 sellouts vs. 3 last year. Having been a STH for the last 7 years, I will say the atmosphere this year is the best it's been ... Not like the old Hive days, but still a much better experience than those Bobcats days. Hopefully they can fix a few things on the court in the offseason and get this team back on the right course. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

^I know a lot of NBA players are in Charlotte during the summer (those that don't play in the summer league) to play pickup games. So it's not uncommon for them to be around town. But yea, I guess VBGB wasn't the first place I'd expect to see Lance. Perhaps he wanted the beer cheese pretzel and some Jalapeno Pale Ale  :alc:

^I know a lot of NBA players are in Charlotte during the summer (those that don't play in the summer league) to play pickup games. So it's not uncommon for them to be around town. But yea, I guess VBGB wasn't the first place I'd expect to see Lance. Perhaps he wanted the beer cheese pretzel and some Jalapeno Pale Ale  :alc:

Last September I actually ran into Lance in the lobby of the Royal Towers down in the Bahamas.  Back when there was still optimism that he'd mature and his signing wouldn't be an epic disaster.  Oh, the good ol' days.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

My wife, who has some sort of Hornets obsession, informs me that in Lance's end-of-season video he said he'd be here all summer -- so there you go.  Big Al returns May 4 to get to work and start losing the 20-25 lbs he says he's going to.  Cody's recovery from surgery is 3 months instead of the previously thought 4-6 weeks.

My wife, who has some sort of Hornets obsession, informs me that in Lance's end-of-season video he said he'd be here all summer -- so there you go.  Big Al returns May 4 to get to work and start losing the 20-25 lbs he says he's going to.  Cody's recovery from surgery is 3 months instead of the previously thought 4-6 weeks.

Good, Lance needs to work on his game all summer long, hopefully he can get some work in with Coach Price and MKG. Hopefully they can both still work with Coach Price even though he has his UNCC gig now.

EDIT: I feel like Lance should also check out this list, while he's in town. Hop through each until he finds the right person.

http://www.angieslist.com/companylist/charlotte/psychiatry.htm

Edited by Guest

I used to see Sean May double-fisting Bud Selects at Phils all the time.  Unfortunately that was during the season.  Probably explains a lot.

The only time I have seen someone officially "make it rain" was Sean May at Phils.  Oh the shame of the guys on the floor grabbing one dollar bills... never forget.

The Hornets are looking to have their own D-League team in the Carolina's (equivalent of a AAA minor league team). They've shared a team with other NBA teams over the years. This would actually give the organization the ability to develop their own players. Seven cities they are investigatingAsheville, Charleston, Columbia, Fayetteville, Greensboro, Greenville (S.C.) and Raleigh. Personally, I think Asheville or Greenville make the most sense given their proximity to Charlotte. Also, Asheville is where they have training camp. 

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nba/charlotte-hornets/article20033334.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like Lance is on his way out of Charlotte: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nba/charlotte-hornets/article24515434.html

Considering what the Hornets would have gotten for him about 3 months ago, cookie crumbs maybe, this actually seems like an ok deal. Though, with Hawes, it may spell the end of Bizmack Biyombo too. Not sure I'm a fan of that. Barnes will give give them some perimeter shooting which we know is a desperate need. 

Edited by wend28

I don't like it. I have this awful feeling Lance goes to LA and lights it up.

Agreed, I follow lance on Instagram, he's working his ass off to get better at shooting. I wanted to give him another chance.

I think the situation in LA will better suit Lance to be honest... Doc Rivers has a way of getting through to some guys. Also, he will have a much more veteran group of players around him and he will be able to play off Chris Paul and Black Griffin. He won't have the expectations that he had in Charlotte. 

This is great and was never in doubt for either 2017 or 2018. Anyone else wish tho we got 2018 instead? The current projects under construction would be done by then including the blue line, 300 south, Stonewall projects, etc... not sure by Feb 2017 any of those will be done.

Cranes and construction sites can look just as nice on tv though. Shows progress and development might :)

I was actually hoping for 2018 as well because the Blue Line extension would be completed. I will be interested to see if we get any additional hotels fast tracked now (e.g. Hilton Canopy, though that's Levine's thing so not holding my breath). 2017 already shaping up to be a big sports year for the Queen City. First the PGA Championship in August, now this...