Bearden Park in Third Ward, Uptown Charlotte

dubone

Movie is confirmed. Star Trek: Into Darkness. Start time is ~9:20. Excited for this. Should it be successful, it would bring more positive programming to the park.

We went to a wedding in Charleston May 2013 and one of the highlights of the weekend was a movie (Wreck-It Ralph) in their center city park on Friday night.  Lots of food trucks and also beer and wine available for purchase, starting before dark.  The movie (free admission) started at sunset.  It was fantastic.  Would love to see the same thing with some regularity at Bearden.  Is Charlotte too big for that?   By the way, the alcohol isn't *necessary*, but it sure was nice.

We went to a wedding in Charleston May 2013 and one of the highlights of the weekend was a movie (Wreck-It Ralph) in their center city park on Friday night.  Lots of food trucks and also beer and wine available for purchase, starting before dark.  The movie (free admission) started at sunset.  It was fantastic.  Would love to see the same thing with some regularity at Bearden.  Is Charlotte too big for that?   By the way, the alcohol isn't *necessary*, but it sure was nice.

They do it in Bryant Park by my office in NYC, its extremely popular. So no, I don't think Charlotte is too big :-).

I think I heard on 90.7 this morning that this Saturday at 5pm there will be a food truck rally, the symphony will play, followed by a movie at Bearden.

Just looked it up:

http://www.charlottesymphony.org/events/13C21FA6-E380-4C8E-8D1A-95ED909AD65E

They are showing Star Trek Into Darkness. So there ya go.

Yup this was all mentioned....on this page....  :shades:

• Like 2

There was a pretty good turnout.  We strolled around uptown for awhile before heading back to the park halfway through the movie (uptown was VERY vibrant on Saturday night.)  I'd say at least half the people stayed for the movie afterward.  Not a terrible idea, I just wish the concert was a regular Saturday evening staple Spring through Fall.

10377616_10101381585024697_8537410830091

Apologies for the grainy quality, my phone isn't exactly equipped for spectacular panoramas.  I actually wish Element were curved the way the photo makes it look. A shot from one of the higher floors of Catalyst would have been really cool.

I haven't been to Charlotte since the 49ers game. How are the trees filling in at bearden.

One year made a pretty decent difference.  One place the trees are noticeably more impressive is along the greenway down Kings.  Only 3 (or 4?) years in and they look matured.  I look forward to seeing how Bearden matures on that same time frame.

• Like 3

One thing I noticed at the Pops concert: people definitely brought bottles of wine to drink. Anybody know if the city made a special allowance for it like they do for South Park or if the police just didn't care? It was nice to see people able to enjoy wine in the park.

Meck County Park & Rec. was simply looking the other way on that one. They were only going to step in if a problem presented itself...  

Lets be honest, its not the symphony going crowd that you typically have to worry about.

• Like 1

I've heard through the grapevine that the use policy for this park has been an ongoing issue. Especially as it concerns the use, display and sales of alcohol - I think Parks&Rec is still trying to figure out how to "walk the line." I'm chalking it up to the park's newness, but hopefully they can establish clear and concise rules soon.