Bearden Park in Third Ward, Uptown Charlotte

dubone

I read in a Opinion Piece on Charlotte Public Art by David Furman that Romare Bearden Park will be getting a towering/spectacular sculpture by Richard Hunt. I wonder where it will be placed... Any speculation?

I read in a Opinion Piece on Charlotte Public Art by David Furman that Romare Bearden Park will be getting a towering/spectacular sculpture by Richard Hunt. I wonder where it will be placed... Any speculation?

I bet it will be in the park. :-p

I FINALLY got to head down to the park yesterday.  I'm extremely happy with the views the park provides and the open air atmosphere.  But overall I left feeling a little disappointed.  Everything felt WAY too gray, and not in a "Fifty Shades of Gray" kind of way (even though that name itself is pretty accurate.)  From the fine gravel to the granite and concrete everywhere, I just felt like they might as well have called it a "plaza" instead.  Granted the trees will add a LOT once they mature and the trellises of vines will look much better when grown in.  In the meantime it's just a mush of homogenous goo IMO. Let's hope too many out-of-towners don't get the same impression I did if they come by before the park has time to age.

I will admit that the fountain/waterfall is much cooler in person than I've picked up on in photos, I didn't realize you could walk into it.  There were plenty of kids treating the thing like a water park.  That was a pretty cool touch.  Can't wait to go down there with my SLR at night when the lights are more obvious (they stay on ALL DAY.)

The same can be said for the musical area, I thought that was a nice touch.  But I'll be honest, it got REALLY annoying once a group of teenagers got their hands on the chimes. *shakes cane*

It will actually be a shame when the Chlidress Klein building is completed.  Sitting at the park is actually pretty neat while that construction is going on.  We sat there for at least thirty minutes just watching all the action!

Overall I'd say I'd have to agree with the general consensus here.  This park isn't a whole lot to look at right now.  But once the trees fill in and maybe the city realizes how god awful the gray colored gravel looks, it will come around.  It clearly was desperately needed. If the incredible amount of activity I saw in the park while we were there was any kind of indication, this park will be a huge success.

It will actually be a shame when the Chlidress Klein building is completed.  Sitting at the park is actually pretty neat while that construction is going on.  We sat there for at least thirty minutes just watching all the action!

Well we should see years and years of more construction around the park :-) Lets hope at least.

I bet it will be in the park. :-p

I spoke to 2 Meck Park and Rec staff the other day about the sculptures...they said it was originally supposed to go in the small green patch at the base of the waterfall, but a different location is being considered now.  they said it will likely go near 3rd st if the original plan is scrapped.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

As baseball season nears, any insight on beer rules for Bearden before baseball games?  I can see tailgating spilling over into the park.  And I can see me bringing a couple on the train in a tiny collapsible cooler and a bag picnic, to enjoy in the park before the game.  

If I had to guess, I would assume it will be like Panthers games and no alcohol in there.

On Panthers game days I saw plenty of people walking through the park with beers in hand but never anyone sitting in the park with a beer. Granted most of these game days were 1) early and 2) kinda cold, so perhaps there will be a different result for Knights games?

That said, I would assume that parks and rec and the CMPD will always be very strict about alchohol in the park in order to keep out the riffraff.

On Panthers game days I saw plenty of people walking through the park with beers in hand but never anyone sitting in the park with a beer. Granted most of these game days were 1) early and 2) kinda cold, so perhaps there will be a different result for Knights games?

That said, I would assume that parks and rec and the CMPD will always be very strict about alchohol in the park in order to keep out the riffraff.

Yeah I think it was a lax policy and the cops were more worried about other things during panthers game. On a more consistent basis like Knights games, I see them being more strict.

I wonder if that means that events in the park will be dry as well.  If Speedstreet spills over into the park this year, their thinking may sway as they can easily benefit from permitted vendor proceeds.

I agree and see the benefits of (and would love to) drink in the park however, I see a lot of negative things coming from allowing that too (maybe just allow it on certain events). I would think in most parks across the US alcohol is prohibited, but I could be completely wrong that's just an assumption.

Question: I know the scale isnt anywhere CLOSE, but can you technically have alcohol in Central Park? I doubt it since that city babysits beyond belief.

Edited by Jayvee

Yeah, obviously "no alcohol" is the easy and standard answer, but I'm thinking (hoping) it may get more complicated than that.  An uptown park, especially right next to a baseball stadium, seems a lot different than all the other city parks.

Panthers games had official "fun zone" type stuff set up in the park, yes?  I could see that type of thing restraining the alcohol if it is kid-focused.  With Knights being way lower profile than the Panthers, I'm wondering if there will be any "official" game-day activities in the park on a regular basis?

Yeah I don't think anyone is realistically advocating allowing alcohol there at all times, but an exception could easily be made for special events and a few hours during game days where there will be a police presence anyway. Under those circumstances it shouldn't attract a bad element IMO. Of course I turned 21 in Savannah where you CAN drink just about anywhere outside, and really, I didn't notice much of a difference in terms of problems. 

I will offer my $.02 on Bearden Park as a festival organizer - 

We discussed, at length, how to incorporate it into the Charlotte Pride festival footprint. The festival is too big for the park and adjacent roads, but it's not big enough to use the park AND bridge over to Tryon Street. And at the end of the day, the experience of Tryon Street is really hard to beat. The alcohol (ALE) permit logistics didn't really factor in since the park would have been no easier or harder to permit than city streets. It is, however, really difficult (and expensive) to close Church Street, which would be critical to growing the festival toward the Uptown core. 

While other festivals have different needs, I would be surprised to see other biggies like Speed Street or Taste of Charlotte move toward the park. I could definitely see smaller festivals, like Bon Odori or Festival of India. fitting in the park very nicely. 

• Like 1

I sat on a bench in the park while others in my party were using the bathroom before the MNF game against the Patriots. The park staff told me I could not sit in the park with beer. I walked through the park for a couple other games with beer in hand and nobody said anything, so maybe they just don't want people staying there with alcohol.

After seeing renderings for so long, it is really awesome to see Google satellite showing the ball park, the park, and the shadows of Element in the map.  Solidifies the realness of it to see it from the sky. 

https://maps.google.com/maps/myplaces?hl=en&ll=35.227392,-80.846436&spn=0.004776,0.009613&ctz=300&t=h&z=17

Charlotte Pride could incorporate the park by using 3rd and 4th:

:stop:

u so bad!