Bearden Park in Third Ward, Uptown Charlotte

dubone

Maybe this is a bit off topic too but I've been curious how this park ends up being so well maintained. Is this how all the parks are maintained here because they do a fantastic job? Or is it just because it's a shiny new toy / has some special funding? The horticulture is really nice too. Here's hoping it stays so forever. 

Page summary:

1. Is the distance of the flat entry to the left of the blocked entrances a short enough distance to warrant a claim of "discrimination"? Debatable.

2. Was the original complaint actually not intended to address the waterfall, but the upper fountain?

Maybe this is a bit off topic too but I've been curious how this park ends up being so well maintained. Is this how all the parks are maintained here because they do a fantastic job? Or is it just because it's a shiny new toy / has some special funding? The horticulture is really nice too. Here's hoping it stays so forever. 

I generally find most of the parks to be well maintained, though I can see them go without mowing maybe a few days longer than preferable. This is considered a signature park (like Freedom Park) and does get more attention. 

If you like Bearden and Freedom, Jetton Park is a must check out in Cornelius. Very nice park (It cost to park on weekends). It's actually fun (for me) to look at the Parks & Rec map (Usually located in most parks or online) and look up all the parks and greenways and check them out.

I'm fine with them replacing the stair with the ramp....so that would make 4 ramps to the same spot in the park. What I'm really happy about is this organization will be included in the planning of all future parks...they should have been consulted on this park so that stupid redo's like this can be avoided.

• Like 1

Totally understand that, but this sentence from the Observer story makes zero sense: "Disabled people, the advocates said, have to go to the front entrance off Church Street to get the fountain."

I agree. There is no "front entrance" to this park. And even if there was, complaining about having to use the front entrance is ridiculous.

So...this has gone way off topic for nearly two pages.  How about those that want to continue to discuss the merit and application of ADA guidelines create a new thread?  I think most of us on here have had their curiousity on ADA guidelines as they are applied to the park (right or wrong) answered.

Nope. This is about as on-topic as it gets.

LOL, don't own a SUV and no that pisses me off when people do that. That is a VASTLY different issue. And you know what, sometimes life IS unfair and steps are put where a ramp perhaps should have been. Point being this is a very very small group trying to push their agenda. It feels this is beyond just ADA regulations and more of a group (Disability Rights and Resources) looking for some attention and payday.

I have a tough time believing a vast majority of those handicapped would want the path blocked by benches just because they don't have quite the short path others do. I do agree this needs to be fixed, but the stink being made over it is mind blowing. But yeah this has all gotten way out of hand. :offtopic:

I generally prefer not to mention them by name, lest they end up with more publicity from doing something like this.

I'm fine with them replacing the stair with the ramp....so that would make 4 ramps to the same spot in the park. What I'm really happy about is this organization will be included in the planning of all future parks...they should have been consulted on this park so that stupid redo's like this can be avoided.

Just 2 ramps, to access MLK from the fountain.

That group already reviews design plans, and they didn't catch it either. 

• 1 month later...

Well, they finally started work on the ramp today.  It looks like they are essentially replacing the western of the two stairways with a ramp.  That would be the one on the right side of this picture.  There is a second stairway, just further right (east) out of the photo, that appears to be unchanged.  (This is an old photo -- not of the work being done.)

20150116_125931_zps3d37f8bc.jpg

Edited by grodney
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

In the south-west corner of the park (in front of Element), there is a bird that attacks any dog-walker (both dog and walker) that comes through.  It's pretty hilarious.  The bird usually goes for the dog first, then starts going at the owner.  I've seen two different birds of the same type, but of course I couldn't tell if they both (all) hate dogs, or if it's just one of them.  I tried to get video one day and failed, but I will try again.

• Like 2

In the south-west corner of the park (in front of Element), there is a bird that attacks any dog-walker (both dog and walker) that comes through.  It's pretty hilarious.  The bird usually goes for the dog first, then starts going at the owner.  I've seen two different birds of the same type, but of course I couldn't tell if they both (all) hate dogs, or if it's just one of them.  I tried to get video one day and failed, but I will try again.

That's absolutely hilarious, please get a video of this. Just a normal sized bird?? 

Edited by Jayvee

I walk my dog at the park every day and I experienced this last week for the first time.  It attacked from the back on its first go around and went right into my shoulders.  It then circled back around by that time I was ready for it, but it followed us all the way out of the park and would swoop in.  Few days later I thought was far enough away from its sphere of influence, but I was wrong.  My dog was in the middle of #2 when it dive bombed right into her.  Her reaction was hysterical and we went running off.

Also last week walking down Caldwell from NASCAR all the way to Trade we were stalked and attacked.  Dog was so scared and me so pissed.  I think the Federal Reserve rent a cops thought they were under attack when we went running by and the dog was forcefully trying to get into their garage for some protection.

Got to be nesting season.  Same thing happened last year around this time as well.  Thank god it only lasts for a month or so.

• Like 1

Probably a mockingbird with a nest in one of the trees. Little a-holes. When I lived in Southend there was one entire side of the building that became off limits to dog walking for that reason. 

Yes Jayvee, a normal-sized bird. Nav, sorry to have giggles at your expense.  A guy caught me laughing yesterday and he laughed too and said it's been happening for a week.  It was so funny because I saw the thing attack his dog, but he didn't notice, so I knew what was coming next.  The bird goes after the guy's shoulders and that really got his attention.  Non-ill, you might be right on the mockingbird.  It's definitely dark grey with some white showing, and that's what I'm seeing when I google mockingbirds.

Edit:  Ha ha, plenty of "mockingbird attacks dog" videos on youtube.  That's almost certainly what I'm seeing at Bearden.

Edited by grodney

Was able to walk around Bearden park this weekend and just wanted to comment on how nice the park is looking.  Because of festivities, there were lots of people milling around, which made for a nice atmosphere.  The trees are already looking much better compared to last year and will only continue to add more character to the park as they mature.  My only real complaint is that I noticed many Ginkgo trees along the Big Moon Green :shok: .  Ginkgo trees make quite a mess when they start dropping their fruit.  You have a lot of staining on the sidewalk and the smell is pretty wretched.  Obviously Ginkgo are not native, so why are they even there?  I sort of feel like dropping by one night and chopping them all down :ph34r:

Was able to walk around Bearden park this weekend and just wanted to comment on how nice the park is looking.  Because of festivities, there were lots of people milling around, which made for a nice atmosphere.  The trees are already looking much better compared to last year and will only continue to add more character to the park as they mature.  My only real complaint is that I noticed many Ginkgo trees along the Big Moon Green :shok: .  Ginkgo trees make quite a mess when they start dropping their fruit.  You have a lot of staining on the sidewalk and the smell is pretty wretched.  Obviously Ginkgo are not native, so why are they even there?  I sort of feel like dropping by one night and chopping them all down :ph34r:

They have a really nice yellow color in the Fall and are very hardy to city pollution.

For example, this street near my old office in DC:

t-fall_ginkos_on_riggs_st_nw_dc.jpg

Edited by rjp212
  • Like 3

Ginkgos are strange things. Thanks to my high school biology teacher I recall a few things about them. They are remnants of the great age of ferns. Think dinosaurs. The female tree produces fruit that falls and smells rotten and is unpleasant in several dimensions. If the city plants only male trees the issue is avoided. The leaves turn that beautiful gold color and when they fall it is over within 24 hours and the ground is a golden carpet. What is said above about hardiness is also true. Thank you Mr. Minton at BRHS!

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 1

The color is very nice in the autumn, I'll give you that.  I just think its a bad idea to plant them near areas with high foot traffic.  I've had bad experiences walking down MLK Blvd.

Thanks for the biology lesson tarhoosier.  Hopefully they kept all of the rotten female trees out of there!

Edited by abttown