Bearden Park in Third Ward, Uptown Charlotte

dubone

I was surprised there were no food trucks around and just 1 hot dog cart. Is there some issue with trucks in Charlotte downtown in general? there aren't many that I have seen in my limited time here.

They mostly hang out in South End. I don't know if there are restrictions on it in Uptown or not, but the lot where they spend the most time is about a mile and a half south of Uptown. Seems like the parking areas for the park would be a great place for them to spend time, but I've never seen them there.

I've never quite known why they don't setup in Uptown more often - maybe its hard to compete with the high concentration of food options. As mentioned, they're in South End all of the time, and Gateway Village often has them at lunchtime. There's usually one at 3rd and Tryon,  but that lot is about to get developed away. Maybe the city needs to set aside curb space for a truck, dunno.

If my mother-in-law said one more time that a funnel cake would hit the spot while watching the fireworks...

So yeah - more food trucks around the park (in general) would be a bonus.  I know there were a few around the time of the grand opening, and we do spy Mr. Softee down there occasionally, but not nearly enough.

Also I am unsure of how long the Fuzzy Peach will last in the stadium.  I suspect gameday traffic isn't too bad, but when the Knights are out of town or during the off-season, that will be a tough road for sure.

• Like 1

I was surprised there were no food trucks around and just 1 hot dog cart. Is there some issue with trucks in Charlotte downtown in general? there aren't many that I have seen in my limited time here.

I don't think there's an issue with them being Uptown, just that they split their time with other places they partner with...a lot of the food trucks hit up suburban office parks once a week where they see good business. 

Normally there is a truck at Tryon & 3rd on Mondays (Papi Queso) and Wednesdays (varies), and Herban Legend is on Trade at Gateway on Thursdays. Sometimes there are trucks back in the pseudo plaza space between BofA plaza and the Trust on Tryon, and lately there have been a few at the pocket park at Tryon and 6th. 

Best thing is to just search all the local food trucks and then add them to your facebook and twitter to see where they are, because it does vary a lot. The most regular spots to find the good ones are the breweries. 

• Like 1

I don't think there's an issue with them being Uptown, just that they split their time with other places they partner with...a lot of the food trucks hit up suburban office parks once a week where they see good business. 

Normally there is a truck at Tryon & 3rd on Mondays (Papi Queso) and Wednesdays (varies), and Herban Legend is on Trade at Gateway on Thursdays. Sometimes there are trucks back in the pseudo plaza space between BofA plaza and the Trust on Tryon, and lately there have been a few at the pocket park at Tryon and 6th. 

Best thing is to just search all the local food trucks and then add them to your facebook and twitter to see where they are, because it does vary a lot. The most regular spots to find the good ones are the breweries. 

I did see one at 3rd & Tryon which had "farm to table" type offerings. It looked great. I think it's only there on tuesdays though. We're not moved in completely yet so not sure.

Is there a web site that lists all the local trucks so I can follow their pages?

Still, how can you explain no trucks being there for the biggest crowd likely to form this year?

Edited by elrodvt

There are some major issues with food trucks in the zoning department. Here are the proposed changes [pdf] to the current laws, per a Disturber article from April. Key points that affect their ability to operate uptown:

• hours of operation 6AM-11PM
  • cannot be located in a parking space
  • only hot dogs may be cooked on an open grill (uncovered unit)

How many places are there uptown that would support a food truck? without street parking, very few. And no operation after 11PM? Def need to fix both of those issues before you will see any food trucks uptown.

Not in a parking space?  Wow. Guess that explains Bearden.  I had no idea.

If I'm reading the PDF of proposed changes correctly, 11pm is the NEW proposed cut-off, instead of the current 9pm?

Edit: Also they can't be within 50 feet of a restaurant.  Also not within 400' of residential (proposed change to 150')?

Edited by grodney

But I have definitely seen them on 3rd, and even considered buying on a couple of occasions, including the Charlotte Pops???

Then again, 3rd may have been closed off those days.

And that 11PM time limit certainly would have made the 4th of July difficult..

This is off topic from the park now and I'll move these thoughts to the coffee house, but IMHO, the downtown area has an antiseptic feel to it. no groove at all. Add in some street musicians and magicians, a bunch of food trucks & stands in random spots, various stands for sunglasses etc..., and the vibe would be a lot better. my idea would be to close Tryon to all but bus traffic, remove parking (there is PLENTY of parking in surface lots after all) and add a decent median in the middle for the above. i guess you can tell I am from Denver and liked that feel. ;-)

Allow some more places here and there to have trucks, and allow the 11p.m. curfew with ability for special permit on festival events - but beyond that I don't think there is a dramatic crisis of lack of food trucks in the city. 

Absolutely. Like a lot of other things around here, this has exploded from next to nothing in just the 6.5ish years I've lived here, and sped up a LOT in the last 2, so I don't think there's a problem, its going to keep getting better naturally. 

• 2 weeks later...

This Saturday (Jul 26) is the next event in the Bearden Music Series, this time featuring Soul and Beach Music.  According to Roots e-mail blast, they and King Of Pops will be there. The info page says: The Headliners: 5:30pm

Ken Knox & Company: 7:30pm
- Food Vendors - Brixx Pizza, I Scream 4 Ice Cream, Roots Farm Food, Thrasher Dawgs and Junior Scoops Italian Ice. 

Info page:

http://charmeck.org/mecklenburg/county/ParkandRec/Parks/ParksByRegion/CentralRegion/Pages/Romare-Bearden-Park.aspx

Edited by grodney

• 3 weeks later...

Yikes that is a bit gaudy, oh well. At least people know where they can grab a quick drink after a day in the park.

I hope the 7-eleven doesn't have a negative impact (damage, graffiti, etc) on the park/area as the one in Gateway has. That public bathroom at Bearden has been kept pretty nice, hope it doesn't get destroyed (or do they lock it at a certain time???)

Edited by Jayvee