Bearden Park in Third Ward, Uptown Charlotte

dubone

This is genius, and would look SO GOOD!  How do we get this idea in front of somebody that can make it happen?

Didn't CMS do the paintings on the now-demolished Virginia Paper Co building?  That could be a start...

vpc-finished-007.jpg

Edited by vassago

Nice park. My only gripe would have been to have a much larger interactive water feature to attract more families downtown. I'm glad there is at least something there. Check out the one in Columbus, OH on the Scioto mile:slide7.jpg

I believe First Ward Park will have a larger water playground than Bearden. Nothing like Columbus. Hurry up and wait...

Umm, I think I was about 75 feet from you when you took that:

photo1_zpse0f009ee.jpg

Ah ha!  Overall loved the park, but this was my one disappointment.  Going off parks I frequented when I lived in france (because this is the paris memory part correct?) and what it appeared on the renderings, I expected crushed light colored limestone-ish/pebbles look, not a grey soot appearance and texture.  

• Like 1

I think the gravel will lighten in color over time like roads and roofs.

I am overall very impressed by the materials.  It was a major feedback item from the community during design, but then briefly seemed to be value engineered when many paths were simply concrete.  But I think there is a really good mixture of nice materials now that I've been and seen it. 

Now 4th Ward needs a dramatic improvement to the greenway that we have as our neighborhood park :).

Went to the park for the first time (I know, I know...) yesterday. I tried to go the weekend before but I forgot there was a Panthers game. Once we saw all of the tailgaters we booked it out of there! :P

My daughter really enjoyed playing in the waterfalls where we spent most of the hour, but I'm somewhat disappointed in the garden areas. I guess I expected things to be a little more dense and varied. I know the park is new, but likewise when Chicago's Millennium Park was new, their garden areas were stunning from day one so I know it can be done. We also had a stroller for our son since he's not walking yet, and found the handicap access subpar. You can't easily stroll through the garden areas, and you can only enter/exit from the higher elevations. Once you get to the bottom, you're met with stairs.

I also feared for the lives of some very small kids climbing on the rocks. I can totally see a small child falling from the higher ones and severely injuring himself/herself. That's probably the parent coming out of me, but I think they could have done a little better job with the safety of the rocks.

Here's a pan I took from yesterday before it got really busy:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/gallery/image/3252-romare-bearden-park/

We also had a stroller for our son since he's not walking yet, and found the handicap access subpar. You can't easily stroll through the garden areas, and you can only enter/exit from the higher elevations. Once you get to the bottom, you're met with stairs.

I also feared for the lives of some very small kids climbing on the rocks. I can totally see a small child falling from the higher ones and severely injuring himself/herself. That's probably the parent coming out of me, but I think they could have done a little better job with the safety of the rocks.

Yes!  Our impressions too! When we got there, with stroller,  the first thing I said to my wife was. "matter of time before some child falls off the boulders on to the hard surface."    It's going to be tragic. The stroller issue came up as well. Can't understand why they'd design a park that obviously wants to attract young families, but has such a mangled set of steps in lieu of ramps.  One other thing, and then I'll mention what we did like: The water falls are too strong for toddlers. The water will knock your kid down.

We liked the interactive chimes and and grassy areas. It took all of three minutes before our toddler made some friends in the lawn. She had a good time trying to keep up. We liked the table and chair setups where you could actually sit and eat while watching your toddler play.

The park was very busy today before the game and they were setting up a half dozen (or so) inflatable things on the green for a post-game event.

The parking lots across 3rd street were full of tailgaters. Its very clear that the park feels much more active and pleasant when all those lots have activity in them.

The coloured lights are nifty. I'd kill (or at least maim) to see a shot that catches that and Duke Energy's shows.

On a trip to Bearden last week I swung by The Green as well, and I'm honestly in awe of how the trees' growth has added such dimension, esp. on the side of St. Peter's. I know it's been said in the past few pages, but I can't overstate how different it will be after time for that at Bearden, plus the ballpark, Childress Klein and other (inevitable) nearby projects to wrap. It's pretty hard to imagine at this point.

I'm surprised/disappointed that I haven't seen more (or any) food trucks next to the park for lunch.

The coloured lights are nifty. I'd kill (or at least maim) to see a shot that catches that and Duke Energy's shows.

Catalyst gets in the way of the good stuff:

20130927_114430_zps5318f031.jpg

You can back way out and come around the other side of Catalyst to get Duke in frame, but even that will be mostly blocked by the new building:

20130927_115242_zps345c9b16.jpg

Edited by grodney
  • Like 1