Bearden Park in Third Ward, Uptown Charlotte

dubone

Thanks for posting from this angle! It sure is great to see the asphalt and diagonal street gone. I wonder how fast it will be to the point where it will appear substantially done. Obviously the grading is important and will take some time, but doesn't seem to be too complex. I can't wait to see the design start to flesh out with pavers concrete pathways and some plantings.

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Things I notice:

-The construction fence along MLK has been pushed in a street-width, and a lane-width along Church. Are they widening either street?

-Concrete tubing stuff on the left, and black something-or-other (rebar or conduit?) above that.

-Sewer/plumbing stuff in the far right.

-A picture of the park on the construction fence along Church.

bearden20120619.jpg

The construction fence along MLK has been pushed in a street-width, and a lane-width along Church. Are they widening either street?

I believe that's just the width of planned street trees and sidewalk. Would be nice to have some recessed parking, but the streets are definitely not being widened for additional travel lanes.

This website might have been posted before, but it gives a good description of the park and a good synopsis of each separate component. After looking through the plans again, I cannot wait to spend a day here and then head to a Knights game.

http://beardenfoundation.org/supportbeardenpark/bearden_park_design.html

^ I thought there was going to be a connecting linear strip of park to South Tryon...

Brevard Court and Latta Pavilion provide a linear connection today. 200 South Tryon could provide a future connection. But neither should be a park, but rather an active pedestrian corridor lined with private investment. The Green just down the block on South Tryon was built by the private sector.

• 2 weeks later...

lots going on here.. I know it looks only like still moving dirt around, but they have moved on. Lots of drainage is in place and complete. Last few days looks like the construction of the water feature is well underway with all the below grade work that goes into that really making solid prgress.

I believe that's just the width of planned street trees and sidewalk. Would be nice to have some recessed parking, but the streets are definitely not being widened for additional travel lanes.

I could be wrong but I think they're pushing back those fences to get the sidewalks completed in time for the DNC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Grodney we need another update shot! I flew in today for the panthers game and went on a 8 mile walk around town, and this was one of my stops. From the street I could see a lot going on and a new gazebo built on the circle concrete slab in the picture. It's exciting that is is really happening.

Fresh from the darkroom:

(edit: I just noticed in the first one I caught some dirt being moved around at the baseball site! It's like when Greg Brady was taking a picture of his cheerleader girlfriend and accidentally captured the (negated) game-winning touchdown in the background!)

romare20120924a_zpsf016cecf.jpg

romare20120924b_zpsbb89d0bf.jpg

romare20120924c_zps84c0b29c.jpg

Edited by grodney

Just wanted to share this blurb and some photos. This references the structure that you see being built in the pictures above and its function, along with two other structures being built.

Romare Bearden Park

This project consists of three structures to be located in the newly designed Romare Bearden Park. The park, planned by Land Design, is located in Charlotte’s Third Ward district between Church, Mint, Martin Luther King and Third Streets.

• The first structure, near the center of the park, is an 870 s.f. restroom facility with public restrooms, bride changing room, and storage space. The restroom will have a cast-in-place concrete exterior, granite boulder base, wood trellis above the entrance, and an extensive green roof. The facility was designed to look naturally integrated into the gradually sloping landscape.

• The second structure, near Church Street, is a 250 s.f. kiosk for serving of light refreshments and newspapers. The octagonal kiosk will have a steel structure, curved copper roof, cupola, glass displays, and wood detailing to evoke both local and Parisian architecture.

• The third structure, near the corner of Church Street and MLK Avenue, is an 1,100 s.f. open air, curving trellis with center arbor. The trellis and arbor will have a wood post and beam structure with a curved metal roof at the arbor.

portfolio_commercial_romare-bearden-park-image-3.jpg

Edited by Guest