CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Downtown Courtyard by Mariott

btoy

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I drove by the site this afternoon and I think this is really going to look good here. It should really help with density in the area, and it will fill in the gap between city hall and the Peace center as seen on 123. :thumbsup:

Totally agree. The face of this area is going to change drastically. Currently the pedestrian population is more scattered from the Peace Center to Wachovia Place than the other parts of Main Street. It's simply due to the nature of the built environment, which will all change with the Main @ Broad development.

It has been a long while since my last contribution, so here is a photo with a construction update in the background. I can imagine at least some performers and stage hands staying there while visiting town on tour.

2837496435_1c1a90c93d.jpg

For more information about this photo, click here.

Cool photo....great angle. :thumbsup: It really shows the density this project will add to this corner. It will be nice to leave the Peace Center and have ground level retail / restaurants just across the street.

I drove by the site this afternoon, it has "topped out." It looks good, and is actually a little taller than I thought. But man, if it were just a few stories taller... :silly:

Well, it hasn't officially topped out. The section that will go up closest to Main will have the rotunda part that will rise about one story higher than this portion.

The portion that is currently up is only a small portion of the overall development.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice shot!

Now that this one is under construction and we've seen the plans and know what we're getting, does anyone still feel sore about the city supposedly not allowing more height on the site?

I am fine with the height, I think any taller and it would take away from the buildings around it, particularly the Peace Center, which is built on a lower elevation but is still right next to it. Having a lower height also allows for infill to other buildings and potential projects (e.g. Washington and Main) that would be competing for the office space. But that's just me, Im not as height obsessed as others.

Nice shot!

Now that this one is under construction and we've seen the plans and know what we're getting, does anyone still feel sore about the city supposedly not allowing more height on the site?

I think the height of the Courtyard is just right. It makes sense for that area.

With that said, I would be okay if the parking lot across the street eventually includes something a little taller. ;)

I agree about the vacant lot across Main. Would love to see a 15 story plus on that spot.

As for Main at Broad, I'm ready to see more the of structure rise. This project has a huge footprint, and we are still only seeing about a third of this footprint going vertical.

_MG_1448.jpg

I like this photo, makes the area look really dense. I drove by the site a couple days ago, and the project truly adds a lot of density to this corner, looks great. Somone asked about height, and yes, I think it would look awesome a little taller, but I'll definitley take this.

In looking at this pic, is the site between the old ct house building and city hall one that could be developed or is thaqt the symphony site?

Also, wrong thread but the extra brownstones nearby also make quite an impact. keep em coming!

Archived