CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Downtown Courtyard by Mariott

btoy

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moving your own business seems like it would be a basic show of confidence in the project. Especially when you are offering naming rights to other companies while trying to get them aboard. What do you tell them when they ask where you are located?

Renderings of the project looking very good now. It should work well for the neighborhood.

Don't y'all just love seeing Greenville-Spartanburg? As if it's one city or something...ugh.

Actually, I do like "Greenville-Spartanburg." We are one metro area, just like Dallas-Fort Worth or Minneapolis-St. Paul. It doesn't take anything away from Greenville or Spartanburg to be combined. :)

I noticed tonight that the construction wall that will hold the renderings of the new development are painted bright red.

Also, I hadn't noticed before, (it may have been there) but there's two large 'windows' in the wall on the City Hall side for viewing the site I assume. This one should be a fun development to follow. While it will only be 6 stories, it might be fun to have a spot to take pictures of this structure for uniformity and obvious progress (like we proposed for the Peacock). I'm down if y'all are, but I won't always be in-town to contribute...

I noticed tonight that the construction wall that will hold the renderings of the new development are painted bright red.

Also, I hadn't noticed before, (it may have been there) but there's two large 'windows' in the wall on the City Hall side for viewing the site I assume. This one should be a fun development to follow. While it will only be 6 stories, it might be fun to have a spot to take pictures of this structure for uniformity and obvious progress (like we proposed for the Peacock). I'm down if y'all are, but I won't always be in-town to contribute...

2532388787_9fcb5c9ce2_b.jpg

Here is a good place to start, a before picture from last summer... Click here for more.

Hehe, thanks. I'm not really complaining...though it is nice to see some numbers just for Greenville sometimes. It was late and I was tired too, I tend to get grumpy. :P

And it would be cool to have updated photos as this project goes up! I could probably snap a few every now and then.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope it's true! As downtown's center of activity has shifted from Washington Street to about Court Square/Broad Street, this location has a lot of pedestrian traffic and is constantly increasing. Do you know what sort of retailers we're talking about here??? (like shoes, clothing, accessories, womens, mens, food?)

Are they done blasting yet? I'm ready for a crane and some vertical activity.

I hope it's true! As downtown's center of activity has shifted from Washington Street to about Court Square/Broad Street, this location has a lot of pedestrian traffic and is constantly increasing. Do you know what sort of retailers we're talking about here??? (like shoes, clothing, accessories, womens, mens, food?)

Are they done blasting yet? I'm ready for a crane and some vertical activity.

Blasting will continue for a little bit longer. They have to move a sewer line that is under the site. I'm also hearing the same regarding national retailers for this development. :)

New retailers sounds good for that area. Although there is a lot of activity around the Peace Center on nights when they are having an event the stretch from there to McBee is often the quietest on Main Street otherwise. The hotel and some retailing could help even things out.

Hopefully the Peacock gets built and there will also be some investment on the McBee to Broad street block.

On typical nights, that stretch is the "quietest", but by no means is it quiet. Soby's, Bellacino's, and Restaurant O keep that area pretty alive in addition to the traffic of people passing through...

I wish the City would work with Carolina First on selling that property at the corner of Main and McBee where that ATM is... That property in conjunction with the old Kimbrell's building could create a very attractive place for either office or residential space. I'm sure the Peacock wouldn't mind the company when complete. That's for a different thread, though...

All this talk about tenants of the national variety sounds good to me! It's very encouraging!

On typical nights, that stretch is the "quietest", but by no means is it quiet. Soby's, Bellacino's, and Restaurant O keep that area pretty alive in addition to the traffic of people passing through...

I wish the City would work with Carolina First on selling that property at the corner of Main and McBee where that ATM is... That property in conjunction with the old Kimbrell's building could create a very attractive place for either office or residential space. I'm sure the Peacock wouldn't mind the company when complete. That's for a different thread, though...

All this talk about tenants of the national variety sounds good to me! It's very encouraging!

The area around E. Court and Main does well with Soby's, etc but it is noticeable when you move up from the entrance to the park/Riverplace on nights when the Peace Center is quiet. The News building,City Hall, Carolina First etc are all daytime oriented businesses. The Marriot and some new retailers could really help tie things together, especially if things get going on the east side of Main from Court to McBee.

I am optimistic about the Courtyard hotel's boost to DT.

The area around E. Court and Main does well with Soby's, etc but it is noticeable when you move up from the entrance to the park/Riverplace on nights when the Peace Center is quiet. The News building,City Hall, Carolina First etc are all daytime oriented businesses. The Marriot and some new retailers could really help tie things together, especially if things get going on the east side of Main from Court to McBee.

I am optimistic about the Courtyard hotel's boost to DT.

Definitely. I'm just saying that for Greenville's Main Street, it's quiet, but by no means is it dead. It's not quiet like pedestrian traffic on Stone Avenue or I-85 :lol: might be.

• 3 weeks later...

Just curious whether anyone has a solid update on the progress of this development. Been hearing some rumblings that there may be an issue...with financing?...and would love someone to dispute that.

All funding has been completed for the project. The renderings on the wall went up a few days ago. Triangle Construction is currently moving a water line that is located underneath the site. That's why you see such a massive hole there.

Indeed. The architect did a really nice job with the renderings.

All of the downtown hotels are pretty unique. Unfortunately, the Holiday Inn Express slipped in there somehow with that awful standard design. I guess you can't have it all, but it sure would be nice :lol:

For the record (again), I'm ready for actual building construction to commence so that we can all get a true understanding of this building's impact and relationship to adjacent buildings and streets. If I say it enough, maybe it will happen sooner... :P

• 2 weeks later...

Archived