CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Downtown Courtyard by Mariott

btoy

Nice article in today's Greenville News about this hotel:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20100430/BUSINESS/304300026/Downtown-Greenville-hotel-opening-its-doors-today

One cool thing is that this hotel will introduce the new Courtyard concept. Check-in pods instead of the traditional front desk, a bistro with healthy breakfast foods instead of the usual breakfast buffet, the "Go Board" with weather and local info available via touch screen, and even iPod rentals for use in the fitness center.

I found it interesting that a standard room is $159 during the week and $169 on weekends. A higher rate on the weekend is opposite from what you usually see in most cities, and it obviously says a lot about the demand to be in downtown Greenville on the weekend. It looks like the effort to promote Greenville as a weekend tourist destination is already paying off. :thumbsup:

And, as a bonus, the article has an encouraging quote from Knox White:

"I think you will see some more projects downtown kick off momentarily," he said, including a major renovation.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found it interesting that a standard room is $159 during the week and $169 on weekends. A higher rate on the weekend is opposite from what you usually see in most cities, and it obviously says a lot about the demand to be in downtown Greenville on the weekend. It looks like the effort to promote Greenville as a weekend tourist destination is already paying off. :thumbsup:

Definitely says a great deal about downtown and tourist. A 159 weekly rate typically drops to 109 or even 99 for Friday and Saturday nights. Returns on Sunday evening for the business traveler. This is really nice to see a higher weekend rate. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I wonder what the major renovation would be ? BB&T maybe, the Nuvox building , formerly Daniel Building?

Well, the Daniel (landmark) building is getting new signage at the top very soon but that's not what the renovation is. My guess would be Carolina Ale House.

It also shows that we need to work on getting more office space downtown to generate more activity and demand during the week. Enough office parks!

It also shows that we need to work on getting more office space downtown to generate more activity and demand during the week. Enough office parks!

The glass is not half-empty, as you seem to see it. The higher price on the weekend shows the result of increasing tourism dollars spent in downtown Greenville on the weekend, not a low demand during the week. If there were no demand during the week for business travelers, this Marriott Courtyard wouldn't have been built in the first place. It also wouldn't be $159 a night, which is far from a budget hotel.

I stopped in for a peak today during the Saturday Market. Let's just say I was "blown away"! Instead of just wandering through the lobby, I was approached by a very nice young lady in one of the check-in pods who welcomed me in. She offered me a personal tour of the ground floor and showed me many of the great amenities that this outstanding hotel offers. The area of the hotel just inside the courtyard patio was described to me as a "community gathering place" for everyone, not just hotel guests. Here, you can meet with friends, enjoy fresh coffee and snacks from the bistro cafe, plug in to one of the compartment pods (that are complete with laptop and phone charging stations, and personal TVs, or sit on the huge couches infront of the big screen TV to enjoy a break from the outdoors. This is no ordinary Courtyard! The business center is first rate (you can arrange flights and print boarding passes here), and the community "Go-Board" interactive screen is top of the line - you can freely print any directions or information on places in and around the city! This is a great tool for both guests and city-goers looking to expand their horizons. I could go on and on, but needless to say, I was wowed!

I didn't have time to explore the area around the new Main @ Broad development, but I wanted to drive by and have a glimpse. I must say that the new outdoor plaza space is quite dramatic! I think it will prove to be quite successful in attracting people to enjoy the space. :thumbsup:

Here is a quick photo I snapped of the Go Wall. Really nice to see....I played with it a bit....all touch sensitive....the map portion can be moved around by touch and there are numerous categories that can be searched (restaurants, shopping, schools, sports, museums, tourist attractions, etc, etc). The lobby of the Courtyard is so far beyond the average Courtyard. Very well done....down to business in a minimal, contemporary way. The whole development is another winner. :thumbsup:

IMG_8677.jpg

It looks like two new statues have gone up in front of Fidelity's new office at the corner of Main and Broad. They were roped and wrapped in white sheets when I drove by so you can't tell what they look like until they're unveiled.

It looks like two new statues have gone up in front of Fidelity's new office at the corner of Main and Broad. They were roped and wrapped in white sheets when I drove by so you can't tell what they look like until they're unveiled.

So no idea what founding father, the statues represent? You should have peeked under the coverings. ;)

So no idea what founding father, the statues represent? You should have peeked under the coverings. wink.gif

I was driving by. tongue.gif The statues didn't appear to be shaped like people and looked identical. They looked similar to the Falls Lake Falls statue at the main entrance to Falls Park in terms of shape and possibly color.

I stayed in one of the "new" Courtyard hotels in Flagstaff, AZ last fall. It had only been open a matter of months, and I liked it a lot. Definitely more modern than the old Courtyard design, and geared toward a younger and/or different kind of business traveler. It had the "Go Board," healthy dining options (my omelet was great!), check-in pods as opposed to a traditional front desk, etc. The room furnishings were less conservative and more modern/functional, but still normal enough not to offend most people.

I will be curious to check out this new Courtyard at Main and Broad in person to see if it is similar (although I'm sure it will be even nicer overall, given the location).

Archived