CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Downtown Courtyard by Mariott

btoy

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Now that the "L" portion of this project is starting to rise next to City Hall, it just hit me today how cool West Court will be. Stand in the middle of West Court and you will surrounded by Poinsett Plaza, the Westin, Court Building, City Hall, Main@Broad, Harper, Poinsett Corners......near perfect density.

IMG_3175.jpg

You're very right! I'm stoked about the experience of West Court Street, Laurens Street, and West Broad Street. If Court Street had more retail, it could be a really neat destination. East Court Street has a nice start, but I think West Court's built environment hinders its potential for now..

Great photos!

I know that the steel construction with the circular cut-outs were discussed on here before. For those still interested, they help many buildings gain points for LEED certification through two means. First of all, that area of the beam is not bearing the significance of the load, so solid steel beams would be a waste of material in many cases. Second of all, it allows for lower ceiling heights (which is a LEED plus) by allowing some utilities, such as smaller round HVAC ducts, to be run through the holes. Therefore, the ceilings can be lower, and there's less energy wasting through heating and cooling such large vertical expanses of space. So, whether a building is going for LEED or not, they can always utilize techniques to cut costs or simply be more environmentally friendly. :camera:

• 1 month later...

Has anyone else noticed the captivating, variegated mid-rise density of downtown as seen from the Liberty Bridge now that this new building is taking shape? It really is appealing, almost as if placed by design for that vantage point. More of this type of development (and like The Bookends) would be perfect for the areas surrounding Falls Park and RiverPlace. I believe the proposed Washington Square development would also add fairly significant depth and density to the view.

Has anyone else noticed the captivating, variegated mid-rise density of downtown as seen from the Liberty Bridge now that this new building is taking shape? It really is appealing, almost as if placed by design for that vantage point. More of this type of development (and like The Bookends) would be perfect for the areas surrounding Falls Park and RiverPlace. I believe the proposed Washington Square development would also add fairly significant depth and density to the view.

I agree, the perspective from Liberty Bridge looks great.....and in addition, you can achieve almost the same perspective, but from higher ground, from the back parking lot of County Square, looking between the Governors School buildings. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the photos, they're great! The building is coming along nicely. Even though the impact of this building is already largely there, I'm not sure any of us (at least myself anyway) really know how 6 stories the full length of that block along West Broad will impact people's experience.

The masonry is looking great! It'll fit in well with the surrounding area.

Anyone have pictures of the masonry going up? I'll be in town this weekend. I'll try to get out there and contribute a thing or two...

Is there still three more floors to go on the hotel portion?

• 1 month later...

This structure is causing quite a bit more drama from the River Street perspective than I had imagined. It really, really adds to the density in that portion of downtown, creating a much more urban feel than ever seen here before. I am hopeful that the street retail and restaurant will help to bring even more people out.

This structure is causing quite a bit more drama from the River Street perspective than I had imagined. It really, really adds to the density in that portion of downtown, creating a much more urban feel than ever seen here before. I am hopeful that the street retail and restaurant will help to bring even more people out.

Also from that end of the development, it is much taller than anyone origianlly said. I had simply heard 6 story development. Looks like the reality, on that end of the building is 9 levels. Definitely making impact.

Excellent! I look forward to seeing pictures (and eventually, seeing it in person). :thumbsup:

Archived