Charlotte Knights AAA Ballpark in Third Ward

dubone

Interesting on page 27 it shows a street between the stadium grounds and the proposed hotel/office complex.

You are misinterpreting the renderings. The green grassy area between the stadium and the street is where the buildings will go. The Street you are seeing is 4th.

CBJ just linked this nice PDF

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/CityClerk/CouncilRelated/Documents/Agenda%20Attachments/2013/03_25_2013%20Bus%20mtg/02%202013_03_25_.pdf

Looks like signage could be a little loud, hopefully the ads aren't too tacky. It could be nice if there's some level of conformity.

Really?  it looks pretty tame to me.

I do laugh sometimes about things said on this board (MiLZ - this is not just about your statement) but we call ourselves city people and urban people, but then get , I don't know, cautious... about the simplest things you would expect to find in real urban centers (and if the inner 277 isn't supposed to be an urban center than slap a condom on my head and call me...) including advertising, in-fill buildings and people hanging out in the street with nothing to do (you fine people of the South call them homeless in need of Church!)

Edited by Urbanity
  • Like 2

Maybe so... I'm sure ill like how it ends up regardless, but the thought of a giant bulletin board lining the west edge of bearden could be... odd. I guess if u pretend its a mural then Tj max and Nike won't be as weird in the background of wedding photos haha

Edited by MilZ

Maybe so... I'm sure ill like how it ends up regardless, but the thought of a giant bulletin board lining the west edge of bearden could be... odd. I guess if u pretend its a mural then Tj max and Nike won't be as weird in the background of wedding photos haha

Nike and TJ Maxx electronic ads on a giant billboard over the park... I'd be in heaven! That'd be awesome!!!

It'd feel even more like a big city. Were it southpark; I'd have to disagree. No electronic billboards. Or anywhere else. Uptown; slap 'em up everywhere, slap news tickers on towers, have giant TV's with the news on it and it'd be cool to have some retro style billboards like the JFG Coffee (I think it's called JFG?)

• Like 1

Nike and TJ Maxx electronic ads on a giant billboard over the park... I'd be in heaven! That'd be awesome!!!

It'd feel even more like a big city. Were it southpark; I'd have to disagree. No electronic billboards. Or anywhere else. Uptown; slap 'em up everywhere, slap news tickers on towers, have giant TV's with the news on it and it'd be cool to have some retro style billboards like the JFG Coffee (I think it's called JFG?)

I'm with Milz on this one. I spend a lot of time in Bryant park in manhattan as its right by my office and I treat it as a break from NYC. There are little to know ads around it. I wouldn't want dozens of garish billboards in my face. Keep them inside the park and on the other three sides, not towards the park. Edited by Guest

I looked at the pdf again and noticed that the signage really isn't bad on the park side, I guess when I skimmed the first time I didn't notice how much room the fence and skywalk occupy on that side. I was afraid it would look like something from Tokyo.

And dont get me wrong, the closer to the epicenter and twc, I love brighter, louder ads everywhere. And someone please slap something on the giant flat wall on the back of the UNCC center city building haha. I just really like the "clean" look of the city driving up or down 77 past bofa stadium. But this park, with more or less ads, will bring its own personality to the city regardless.

^Thanks for posting these photos... It's good to see a different perspective beyond the web cam. It's amazing to me how this ballpark is starting to grow like a weed! This time next year, we'll hear "play ball" and drinking frosty cold beverages (hopefully of the local variety) on the outfield berm with great city views. 

This new baseball stadium is going to look really nice when finished, but i still wish they would have made it expandable or put in it a location to where it could be expanded to 35000 or so seats so IF we got a MLB team in the near future...it wouldn't require an entirely new stadium.  I'm not all out supporting Jerry Reese, but he had some decent points in his arguments.

^ Yeah, I also wish that they would have considered expansion in the design. But I'll be there cheering for the knights until the day more tax dollars are used to finance an mlb stadium so they can tear down this expensive (but beautiful) stadium.  Hindsight might be rough in a decade.

The way MLB is heading, smaller markets outside of the historic NYC, Chicago, Boston team areas either may not have teams or may be hosting teams in much smaller venues. Younger generations have simply not embraced baseball the way previous generations did. 

I rather have infill development projects making uptown flourish than be stuck Decades with a dream of a 3rd rate MLB team.

20 years from now if MLB decides to come to CLT, maybe another great location will be great for just an entire new stadium. SouthEnd, Northend, 3rd ward along Morehead.

This stadium was a much bigger catalyst then I had thought it'd be. Makes me wonder how much of a catalyst streetcar would've been.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1

While I would love to have MLB close by, I personally can't wait for the new ballpark to open.  I live in North Charlotte and have very rarely driven down to Fort Mill for a game.  It wasn't really worth it.  But with the new stadium, background, etc. I'm really excited and hope to go to several games each season.

Maybe if Charlotte can demonstrate that we can support baseball, then we could seriously be considered for MLB down the road.

Edited by allthingsplanes

The expandability was looked at, but considered impractical.  This stadium is pretty much the gamble that we will not be getting, nor pursuing MLB in the next 15 years.   That is absolutely the case given the public appetite for taxpayer support for large sports venues.   We can barely get support for a modest renovation of our current stadium to contractually tie the team here.   There will not be support in this city for a $1B stadium to lure a team here for a very long time.

If MLB magically did present itself, the city and county only 'paid' a discount on future taxes, which they wouldn't have gotten anyway if the stadium had stayed in SC.  The county will continue to own the valuable land to reuse or sell for public benefit after the 'useful life' as Garnet mentioned.  With the road work done, the city and county benefit from rebuilt streets and sidewalks, and with the closure of the 3rd Street's diagonal connector, it makes the county owned block to the northwest of the stadium a usable piece of land again. 

I looked again at the advertising, and I actually like the faded painted brick look of the historic team branding along Graham.   As far as the jumbotron, I agree it is is something that may disrupt classy photographs in the park.  But otherwise, it is pretty much becoming a common sight uptown at large venues.  We have jumbotrons at Epicentre, TWC Arena, NASCAR HofF, Knight's Stadium, etc.   I think it is a medium that allows both regular ads and announcements for events, but in a way that is considered to be nicer than regular poster billboards.