Charlotte Knights AAA Ballpark in Third Ward

dubone

In watching the construction it seems they are not building the foundation for the hotel/mixed use building slated to come afterwards, which really seems unfortunate, would it not save a lot of money to do that now?

I think it's hard to tell what they are doing now. But, I also believe it would be a separate firm that's building the office/hotel portion (someone correct me if I'm wrong). So I doubt they'd be helping out a different construction firm just for the sake of helping.

I think it's hard to tell what they are doing now. But, I also believe it would be a separate firm that's building the office/hotel portion (someone correct me if I'm wrong). So I doubt they'd be helping out a different construction firm just for the sake of helping.

I have it on good authority that the building will get built. Its way too early to judge what is, and isn't happening on the BB&T Stadium site. 

I have it on good authority that the building will get built. Its way too early to judge what is, and isn't happening on the BB&T Stadium site. 

That's a huge - yet small - detail that has changed.

Just to get it straight, since there are so many smaller buildings going up around the area, this is the site that;

- Was going to be a 5-ish story Hotel tower as per the Baseball rendering

- It changed from being a hotel building to Office & Hotel

- It was clarified it would be 2 buildings and not a single mixed use building.

- There was an announcement that was imminent regarding the two towers

- Now it's not going to even be on the site as per the rendering, but on another block and too early to judge.

I'm fascinated at how this project is evolving. So, were one to use their best speculation... could we assume this building would have some height to it? I'd love to see decent height in the area since (A) there will be several low and midrises and (B) it counter balances the VUE & Trademark and makes Charlotte look & feel even more like an urban core and less linear.

I wonder how the "building" will be designed and built in regards to the BB&T stadium. Or if it will just seem like a totally different project.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

AirNostrumMAD, on 12 Apr 2013 - 13:15, said:

- Was going to be a 5-ish story Hotel tower as per the Baseball rendering FALSE

- It changed from being a hotel building to Office & Hotel TRUE

- It was clarified it would be 2 buildings and not a single mixed use building. NOT CLEAR YET

- There was an announcement that was imminent regarding the two towers TRUE-ISH

- Now it's not going to even be on the site as per the rendering, but on another block and too early to judge. FALSE

"I wonder how the "building" will be designed and built in regards to the BB&T stadium. Or if it will just seem like a totally different project."

• 8-10 floors per original rendering.

• Yep

• This might just be speculation.

• There is an imminent announcement.

• That rendering was solely to feature the Baseball stadium. They showed where the project would be as a grass field/out parcel, because the intention of the rendering was not for the building. All official, press ready renderings, still include the building.

I would say that the building will be built 100% with BB&T Stadium in mind. To a maddening point. I actually would like it to look completely different from the stadium, lots of steel and glass instead of lots of brick, as will be the Charlotte way.

Edited by Guest

might be old news but I heard today that MLK blvd will be extended under(?) the tracks and will connect up with the street named w 3rd (on google maps, but I believe that it is just a sidewalk) and run to Cedar st.

If true, this will be a nice addition to the 3rd ward grid. If only we could move the Panthers practice fields over to the Charlotte Pipe property that is just sitting there...

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

might be old news but I heard today that MLK blvd will be extended under(?) the tracks and will connect up with the street named w 3rd (on google maps, but I believe that it is just a sidewalk) and run to Cedar st.

If true, this will be a nice addition to the 3rd ward grid. If only we could move the Panthers practice fields over to the Charlotte Pipe property that is just sitting there...

NICE! Great news, I've been waiting years for this to happen!

A few more details on this. Sounds like Woodfield wants to build multifamily on the parcel on the NW corner of Graham and MLK. They need clarity from CDOT on the design of this underpass before they can finish their site plan. CDOT does not yet have funding for the extension / underpass but they are working on plans so that Woodfield can proceed.

Edited by kermit

• 2 weeks later...

A few more details on this. Sounds like Woodfield wants to build multifamily on the parcel on the NW corner of Graham and MLK. They need clarity from CDOT on the design of this underpass before they can finish their site plan. CDOT does not yet have funding for the extension / underpass but they are working on plans so that Woodfield can proceed.

Thanks for the clarification.  I had not heard of any funding or momentum on this in a long time.  I always felt it would be good to do it as part of the station, but obviously that has its own problems with funding.  

MLK/2nd is a small road so it will not have a dramatic difference to be make on the network downtown, but it really would be nice connectivity within 3rd Ward.  At minimum, a pedestrian tunnel connecting MLK to the greenway path between J&W and the Panthers' practice fields would be a nice help.  

^There already is a bike-ped connection under the RR about 500 feet south of Graham & MLK.  I'd rather see that existing connection upgraded as a more official greenway all the way to Wesley Heights, instead of extending MLK to Cedar.

We gotta save that for the restoration of streetcar service on the P&N to Gateway Station. I am going to pay for it myself after I win my second powerball jackpot.....

Edited by kermit

We gotta save that for the restoration of streetcar service on the P&N to Gateway Station. I am going to pay for it myself after I win my second powerball jackpot.....

From Gateway Station to where... Gastonia?  That would be difficult considering how busy the old P&N main stays once you start getting up towards Pinoca Yard.

^ gezzz, no need to harsh my lottery fantasy with reality.

Turner ave to start, ultimately to a park and ride on 85 either via the existing P&N (I do realize its still in use north of Turner -- but there is lots of industrial space and some nice relief screaming for Southend-like density) or in street running from Turner up Rozzells Ferry to I-85.

This route will bookend my planned streetcar extension from CPCC to the Met, CMC, East Blvd which will ultimately (and mysteriously)  join the airport line.

Gastonia will be much better served via new dedicated-row LRT via the airport and Belmont.

Money is just a social construct....

On the serious side I do regularly use the ped/bike underpass that Southsider mentioned, and I think ped activity around the stadium would be enhanced by another underpass at MLK.

^ gezzz, no need to harsh my lottery fantasy with reality.

Turner ave to start, ultimately to a park and ride on 85 either via the existing P&N (I do realize its still in use north of Turner -- but there is lots of industrial space and some nice relief screaming for Southend-like density) or in street running from Turner up Rozzells Ferry to I-85.

This route will bookend my planned streetcar extension from CPCC to the Met, CMC, East Blvd which will ultimately (and mysteriously)  join the airport line.

Gastonia will be much better served via new dedicated-row LRT via the airport and Belmont.

Money is just a social construct....

On the serious side I do regularly use the ped/bike underpass that Southsider mentioned, and I think ped activity around the stadium would be enhanced by another underpass at MLK.

You're a bit wrong on Turner.  Right now the P&N main is out of service past Parkway Ave.  The farthest customer on the line is there... Blue Linx.  Technically Suburban Propane still wanted cars but it wasn't worth it to maintain the line out that far just for them.

Edited by TotalLamer

I realize this is scheduled to be 98% done in 7 months but I am astounded at how fast this is flying along. Not the Charlotte way at all.

Agreed. I keep peaking in on the webcam every few days and this stadium is shooting up like a weed. Complete opposite from what we are used to seeing. 

What is the building/walls going up in right field?  

That'd be the actual right field wall. 

398a8bc2e3f7f879ff0986359513be80_XL.jpg The field actually encroaches very close to the street on the right field wall. 

This rendering is only accurate to the field location. The rest is just massing. It's missing the rotunda, the office building, and pretty much everything else.

^ never realized how excellent of a location the parcel Lodged between Trademark, Romare & the stadium is. It'd be a shame were that parcel anything less than a 25 story tower with ground floor retail & huge sidewalks.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

^ never realized how excellent of a location the parcel Lodged between Trademark, Romare & the stadium is. It'd be a shame were that parcel anything less than a 25 story tower with ground floor retail & huge sidewalks.

I personally would like something a bit shorter, but with a really interesting design.  Like something modern looking that would be tall enough to be very visible from the stands, but not tall enough to block the view of other towers.  Maybe hide the parking deck by Packard Place haha.

edit: Retail and large sidewalks included, of course.

Edited by MilZ