Charlotte Knights AAA Ballpark in Third Ward

dubone

Has anyone seen any high-resolution renderings of the stadium from a variety of angles -- from different places in the stands, concourse, etc.  I've seen one or two small ones, but usually from an "aerial" position.  

There are a ton on the website.

http://charlotteknightsatuptown.com/graphic-renderings

http://charlotteknightsatuptown.com/media-gallery/photos

I drove by the stadium today and noticed Homer the Dragon, lots of guys in suits with hard hats, and TV cameras going into the stadium. Are there any milestones or marketing events occurring that anybody knows of.

I believe there was some function to announce the commemorative brick program where you pay some $ to have your name placed a brick at the stadium.

I hadn't seen the fly-through video.  Pretty sweet.  This will be huge for Charlotte and Uptown.  It just makes question yet again the 10,000-seat size. The team will finally be located where the people are.  With our population, there's no reason it should be this small, at the minimum seating requirement for the AAA International League.  Is there any location where they can add a few thousand seats if demand warranted it?  Doesn't look like it.  

I've thought about that too, although I really like the outfield towers, I would think that it'd be better to leave that wall open for possible future expansion.  However I also think they should have... nvm different thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I think we can all agree that the webcam for the stadium construction is LAME.  I've found a way to make it better!  Here is a timelapse spanning 9 hours of work at the stadium today.  I used Linux and some scripts to save the public photos and then I cropped it to widescreen format and increased the contrast.

http://youtu.be/UYZ1BbaqYWA

• 2 weeks later...

^I LOVED when the sun's position would change and you would see the city towers cast their shadows over the ballpark!

Yes! I agree. Which brings me this question to any knowledgeable baseball fan: Is the field oriented correctly for afternoon sun?  I'd hate to be in centerfield when that pop ball comes at me.

^ yup, it is oriented correctly. While the sun may be a problem for outfielders, they can wear flipdown sunglasses for day games. The primary field-orientation rule of thumb is that the sun should not get in the batter's eyes.

^ to add on to your point, fields are usually oriented with home plate facing n or ne.  This is what Jerry Reese was upset about with this field being built in this location.  It is about the only spot to put a field with a real good view of the skyline at a near distance.

^ to add on to your point, fields are usually oriented with home plate facing n or ne.  This is what Jerry Reese was upset about with this field being built in this location.  It is about the only spot to put a field with a real good view of the skyline at a near distance.

:offtopic: You give Jerry Reese waaaay to much credit.   :offtopic:

Jerry Reese's entire plan was to put the MLB in SECOND Ward on land that is currently owned by the city/county.     It was all just a total pie-in-the-sky idea using someone else's team, someone else's land, and someone else's money.

The only thing he provided himself was the legal credentials to delay the real plan with a real team using real money on land with approval of the landowners.    But sure, skyline views with the right sunlight are swell.