Charlotte Knights AAA Ballpark in Third Ward

dubone

I keep realizing just how much less imposing this 2-story building is versus the Panther's stadium.  

I'm glad they have some opportunity for future expansion.  Certainly Charlotte may not be in MLB territory any time soon, but it is great to see that they have some way to add to it if it comes to that in a decade or two.

I'm optimistic they will need to expand in the next 5 years. I really think Baseball uptown will be an instant hit.

• 2 weeks later...

Still haven't started the building to the right of the main entrance. Has be concerned because all the drawings had a building that included a restaurant open on days other than game day.

I'm not too concerned with that honestly.  Considering the volatility of the restaurant market, I'd be fine with them waiting to see how the traffic is before they build, and finding the correct restaurant for the site. Its better to have an empty site than an empty building.

I'm not too concerned with that honestly.  Considering the volatility of the restaurant market, I'd be fine with them waiting to see how the traffic is before they build, and finding the correct restaurant for the site. Its better to have an empty site than an empty building.

I disagree, its the best place for a restaurant that will have success. It will be directly facing the Park. Also, Its a part of the actual structure they can't build it later. 

I'm talking about the building on the right of the stairs. 

e2bf3b11df0b872112757f1c2fee6e32_XL.jpg

Maybe it will be another cinderblock building like the outfield building that is being constructed. That went up in a week, so I guess they have until April to get the second building put up.

Edited by Guest

^ I wouldn't worry yet.  The baseball park itself is the piece under a time constraint.  They have opening day in April, which is a lot closer than it seems.  It's completely possible that they are putting all of their current focus into getting the field and stands up and ready to go, to ensure they can play ball.  The restaurant is important, but they can play baseball while it is still U/C.

I disagree, its the best place for a restaurant that will have success. It will be directly facing the Park. Also, Its a part of the actual structure they can't build it later. 

As a former restaurant manager, that site is not as attractive as it seems.  It's outside of the main traffic flow, will likely have a high lease rate, and there is not surrounding uses that will increase regular daily business.  Church and MLK would be a much better location (especially if they get rid of the one way nonsense).  I'm not saying it is a horrible site and anyplace that goes there is destined to fail, but it will require the correct concept, probably one that is flexible enough to handle quick serv during games and a more casual atmosphere during regular times. 

Since it is in the plans I hope they put the needed infrastructure in place, if so it can easily be built with little disruption to ballpark operations.  Even if they didn't since it's on the periphery adding that infrastructure won't cause much disruption.  It's a fairly easy add on.

e2bf3b11df0b872112757f1c2fee6e32_XL.jpg

Maybe it will be another cinderblock building like the outfield building that is being constructed. That went up in a week, so I guess they have until April to get the second building put up.

q142.jpg

I went to see a Knights game last night... Figured I'd catch them one last time in Fort Mill before they head uptown. It has been a few years since I've been there, but it was kinda sad. As you could imagine, the stadium both interior and exterior were in pretty rough shape. Obviously they weren't going to spend money on upkeep if they were leaving, but some of it was just from years of neglect. Talked to a few of the ushers and some of the others that worked there. Some of them said they were going to work at BB&T ballpark, others were not. Attendance was pretty sparse. I'd say about 2,500 at most. Gotta say though, concession prices weren't much different from going to a Panthers or Bobcats game. Maybe a $1-1.50 less... They'll need to fix that if they intend to keep crowds coming in after the new-ness of uptown baseball wears off. I will say though, if you are a baseball fan, nothing captures the pureness of the game like a minor league one. Much more entertaining live product than MLB in my opinion. Plus, you can't sit a few rows off the third base line for $15 at major league park either. 

Edited by wend28

I'm a pretty big baseball fan, at any level.  I LOVE going to MLB games, seeing the big name players, ect.  But I totally agree about the minors.  That is BASEBALL at its finest.  The only type of live baseball I prefer more than Triple AAA is Spring Training; mostly for the same reasons.  Intimacy of the game, smelling the field, seeing the players up close.  I can't wait to see the Knights in Uptown.

• Like 1

^^ I went to last nights game as well, for the first time in years, and that was exactly what I was thinking. The wooden bats alone add to the baseball atmosphere. I sat directly behind home plate for about the same price.

Edited by MilZ