Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

We are all slowly losing it around here. I can't even look at Austin, Miami or Toronto's boards anymore without just slipping into depression.

I'm okay with our development (3rd ward is amazing now :)) but.... A large 40 story office tower is just too good to be true. I would much, much, much prefer an office tower over residential any day of the week. Because I feel like residential would follow the jobs.

I think it's quite odd Austin's main focal points are residential buildings considering it's not a beach destination. I can't think of another city like that. Pittsburg? Detroit? Charlotte? San Antonio? Columbus? Minneapolis? Albany? Denver? Don't think so.

I'll never understand how Columbia, SC can get multiple spec office towers downtown, but we can't get financing for one.  Blows my mind.

This is slightly off topic, but which office towers are those? There haven't been any new office tower developments in Columbia outside of those directly related to USC's research campus, Innovista, since before the recession. In fact, one major office building (former SCANA HQ) was converted into apartments (called The Hub), removing a big chunk of  the leaseable square footage in downtown, and probably boosting the occupancy rate significantly.

I think Miesian Corners meant Main and Gervais, though that wasn't actually speculative as it was anchored by NBSC, McNair Law Firm, and Edens & Avant. I think the only way Columbia will get another tower in the forseeable future is if newly consolidated SC banks or law firms need a big chunk of contiguous space and/or a big company randomly moves to the city. Growth downtown is all residential at the moment and mostly geared toward USC students.

At any rate, a lot of the job growth in Charlotte has been in manufacturing and consumer products- industries that do not necessarily need Uptown offices to attract employees. Met Life could have moved to Uptown, but the city probably needs interest from insurance, energy, media, or finance companies before justifying a spec office building. The other thing to consider is that the state is Republican controlled at the moment. I have a feeling the state's economic development agencies have been strongly encouraged to move jobs to Ballantyne and South Park, heavily Republican neighborhoods.

The other thing to consider is that the state is Republican controlled at the moment. I have a feeling the state's economic development agencies have been strongly encouraged to move jobs to Ballantyne and South Park, heavily Republican neighborhoods.

As a pretty damn blue Democrat who would not pause for a tear if the GOP was booted out of most levels of State leadership ASAP I don't buy that at all.   

• Like 1

I'm a Republican and I absolutely think it's happening. My understanding is that the state gets involved in all big economic development efforts, if only in an advisory capacity. It may be as slight as extolling the benefits of building in Ballantyne (faster regulatory process, access to the highway, proximity to great neighborhoods and schools), but I think state legislators and potentially McCrory's administration may be influencing the process. I don't blame them- I would do the exact same thing were I in their position. Bringing jobs to friendly districts is a huge win. If the state legislature was willing to go head-to-head with the city on the airport with McCrory's support, I doubt either would shy away from influencing economic development efforts.

I'm a Republican and I absolutely think it's happening. My understanding is that the state gets involved in all big economic development efforts, if only in an advisory capacity. It may be as slight as extolling the benefits of building in Ballantyne (faster regulatory process, access to the highway, proximity to great neighborhoods and schools), but I think state legislators and potentially McCrory's administration may be influencing the process. I don't blame them- I would do the exact same thing were I in their position. Bringing jobs to friendly districts is a huge win. If the state legislature was willing to go head-to-head with the city on the airport with McCrory's support, I doubt either would shy away from influencing economic development efforts.

You realize all the part in bold that I highlighted from your quote happened in Ballantyne under Democrats?   That those areas are selling those advantages now is not a surprise.  That is not partisan politics in my mind at all - no matter how nuanced. 

I really don't think McCrory and leadership care where in Charlotte a company lands so much as it lands.   As far as state political interference in economic development I am far more concerned with Eastern Rural Republicans in the State House interfering with Metro needs (Charlotte, Triad and Triangle) much more than anything.

Can we please move this conversation to a different thread? It's depressing seeing a new post in this forum and it not being news on the project :dontknow::whistling:

I dunno :D I think it's less depressing than actual news on the project .

I'm still holding out that it will be announced soon. The absence of some posters and the editing of some post make me think it's still on a decent track?

The hotel could start construction before the office portion of Crescent;

"....... In addition to its apartment activity, Crescent has piqued the curiosity of real estate watchers with plans for a 3-acre site in uptown bordered by Tryon, Stonewall, College and East Hill streets. In early 2013, the firm announced it had hired architecture and design firm Little to begin master-planning a development that could be “transformative.”

Today, Mansfield says the firm is moving forward with plans for a hotel as well as an office tower. Crescent will need to land some tenants before breaking ground for the office tower, which would total more than 700,000 square feet. The hotel could start sooner."

So two facts as of Jan 3rd 2014;

- Hotel could start before the office portion

- Office space will total 700,000+ sq. ft (that should be around 35 floors?)

http://m.bizjournals.com/charlotte/print-edition/2014/01/03/charlottes-who-to-watch-in-2014.html?page=all&r=full

Don't remember that being mentioned.

According to CCP 2013 report, Crescent Stonewall also was supposed to have like 230 apartment units. I wonder if the lack of mention in the CBJ means they're no longer pursuing residential there?

Also; it sounds as though it is in fact two seperate towers. A office tower and a hotel tower. Sounds Familiar to the description Ricky Davis first gave us of this project. I remember whining how I wished it was one taller tower :D

I also wonder what tenant has the time to wait around for a 30~ story office tower to be built?? Unless it was a local expansion like Duke did with Wachovia's office tower?

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1

^How did this go unnoticed by everyone else on this board for a few weeks? Great info. I would be interested in hearing about those apartments, because I thought that was a component to this development too. Figured it would just be included in the hotel tower portion of the development. 

^How did this go unnoticed by everyone else on this board for a few weeks? Great info. I would be interested in hearing about those apartments, because I thought that was a component to this development too. Figured it would just be included in the hotel tower portion of the development. 

Honestly I read that article, and the first name on the subhead didn't sound familiar so I skipped over it :-(. 

700k sq feet could be anywhere from 30-45 stories based on how skinny the tower will be. If they did the trump design redux I suspect it'd be around 45 floors. 

The article re-iterates hotel and office even after the quotes mentioned above.  I'm fine with no multi-family on the site, but certainly hope to see an additional residential tower within a block of there eventually to keep contant feet on the street.

My guess is this is where the rumored Loews goes.

Honestly I read that article, and the first name on the subhead didn't sound familiar so I skipped over it :-(.  700k sq feet could be anywhere from 30-45 stories based on how skinny the tower will be. If they did the trump design redux I suspect it'd be around 45 floors.

So if it had a crown it could be taller than DEC?

I wondee the scope of the hotel.

So let's just say Loew's ends up being the hotel here for argument's sake... Now if 210 Trade becomes a W Hotel, that would give uptown quite the cluster of luxury hotels with the Ritz. Not convinced we'd have all three inside the 277 loop, but who knows. Surely more office high rises would follow.

Edited by wend28

So let's just say Loew's ends up being the hotel here for argument's sake... Now if 210 Trade becomes a W Hotel, that would give uptown quite the cluster of luxury hotels with the Ritz. Not convinced we'd have all three inside the 277 loop, but who knows. Surely more office high rises would follow.

I am also holding out for a Mandarin Oriental as part of the 30-35 story building at 6th and college and Hotel Indigo at Center City Green.

Wasn't there also a rumor that Hyatt would build a 400 room hotel in downtown sometime last year? I am assuming this would end up being a Hyatt Regency or a Grand Hyatt.