Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

I recently had my radiator replaced at the Good Year currently on this lot.

I had a conversation with the manager and asked if he had been told how long they have left.
He said they were guaranteed at least 2 years, possibly 3, at that location.

Although, I have no idea how reliable his information or his source's information is.
Also, I imagine if a major tenant became interested then the lubrication of enough $$ could get it started sooner.

I recently had my radiator replaced at the Good Year currently on this lot.

I had a conversation with the manager and asked if he had been told how long they have left.

He said they were guaranteed at least 2 years, possibly 3, at that location.

Although, I have no idea how reliable his information or his source's information is.

Also, I imagine if a major tenant became interested then the lubrication of enough $$ could get it started sooner.

Its also worth noting that Goodyear takes up only 1/6th of the land to be developed so its conceivable they could start on the rest and goodyear would operate for a little longer.

• 4 weeks later...

I am just as anxious as everyone here for this project. I have been looking at current projects around the country and was astounded by the projects happening In Nashville, a city that is actually smaller than Charlotte. If I could have one of their projects it's be 505 CST. What a gorgeous and Charlotteesque building. I would gladly have something like this at the Crescent site.

I am just as anxious as everyone here for this project. I have been looking at current projects around the country and was astounded by the projects happening In Nashville, a city that is actually smaller than Charlotte. If I could have one of their projects it's be 505 CST. What a gorgeous and Charlotteesque building. I would gladly have something like this at the Crescent site.

Wow you are right, that's an awesome building!

Excellent, indeed, but it is interesting that there are those on the Nashville site, like here, who are cynical about developers. When it comes to 50+ story towers, seeing is believing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Any update on this? I'm starting to wonder if the company that would have occupied the office space pulled out. I always figured the project need some kind of tenant signed to get the project off the ground. I have no inside knowledge.

Our downtown needs some infill badly. Hoping to hear some good news. I voted for Pat, but I swear locally things have gone quite with him in charge.

Any update on this? I'm starting to wonder if the company that would have occupied the office space pulled out. I always figured the project need some kind of tenant signed to get the project off the ground. I have no inside knowledge.

Our downtown needs some infill badly. Hoping to hear some good news. I voted for Pat, but I swear locally things have gone quite with him in charge.

RFQ's or RFP's (not in the construction biz) went out to construction companies in the past few weeks.  I know someone working on this for a company in the area who described the plan to me.  Sounds like a very creative building but hard for me to visualize.  I'm trying to get a sneak peak at the renderings.  If I get a look at what they received from the architect I'll try to describe it on here.  Won't be able to post a picture though.

• Like 1

RFQ's or RFP's (not in the construction biz) went out to construction companies in the past few weeks.  I know someone working on this for a company in the area who described the plan to me.  Sounds like a very creative building but hard for me to visualize.  I'm trying to get a sneak peak at the renderings.  If I get a look at what they received from the architect I'll try to describe it on here.  Won't be able to post a picture though.

So... according to "sources"??? Mmmk.

I'd say thats positive news for this project. I'm interested that its only for 1 tower though... My friend told me 2.

I'd say thats positive news for this project. I'm interested that its only for 1 tower though... My friend told me 2.

What I know so far is 35 stories and there will be a skywalk involved.  When I said "oh so it will be two buildings" I was corrected that it will be one.  That's where I got confused and said I'd need to see it.  But maybe this transformative design has the building split off into two different parts near the top?  I was hoping to have posted a description of it by now but I haven't gotten a chance to see the renderings.  Either way they were really excited about the design and said it was very creative.

Sorry if my vagueness is frustrating.  I know it's still out for bid and don't want to give up anything on a public forum that may be seen and negatively impact anyone's chances of landing the project.  I'll post more once I've seen it and can give a better description.  I know everyone loves renderings but since this is an exciting project hopefully any news of it moving forward will be met with a positive reaction :)

I know a "storey" is constantly argued on about height... you say 35 stories, but do you know the height in feet? is there a spire/antenna or anything?

At 35 stories, it should be at least 375 feet, probably over 400 when you factor in mechanical items at the top of the tower and any decorative elements.

At 35 stories, it should be at least 375 feet, probably over 400 when you factor in mechanical items at the top of the tower and any decorative elements.

Thats about what i was figuring on height. Smaller than I thought (a little disappointed) but a new building is a new building and if its a great design, all the better.

I highly doubt you're going to see a 35 story building at 375-400 feet. Remember, there is supposed to be an office component to the project. Just for reference, 1 Bank of America Center, which was built in 2010 is 32 stories high. It comes in at little under 500 feet tall. All speculation, and I have zero insider knowledge, but it will be a decent size building. Not BofA Corp Center or Duke Energy tall, but some decent height. That's why we're all so anxious about this one.

I highly doubt you're going to see a 35 story building at 375-400 feet. Remember, there is supposed to be an office component to the project. Just for reference, 1 Bank of America Center, which was built in 2010 is 32 stories high. It comes in at little under 500 feet tall. All speculation, and I have zero insider knowledge, but it will be a decent size building. Not BofA Corp Center or Duke Energy tall, but some decent height. That's why we're all so anxious about this one.

Excellent point. I was actually google searching random things and the "RSA Battle House Tower" in Mobile, Alabama (of all places) is a 35-story building and 745 feet tall. I highly doubt (but hope) the project will be that tall, but still I think you're right in saying it will be a good size building.

Edited by Jayvee

I always hated that building (RSA).

Duke Energy is already a (good) funky building; having two funky buildings side by side will make our skyline look exceptionally good. And we won't have to hear people whining about beige corporate buildings (like in 2005).

So any news about retail? This has to be a large component to be "Transformative". Something that brings great street level activity is the only thing that can make any project at this point transformative. Thats not to say it won't be amazing; just not as grandiose as being touted.

It was excellent to see this thread so active yesterday. Does anyone have any inclination on when we will hear an official announcement? Also, this will be the first new building since I have lived here, from time to announement til the time the building is topped out, what kind of (approximate) timeframe are we looking at?

It was excellent to see this thread so active yesterday. Does anyone have any inclination on when we will hear an official announcement? Also, this will be the first new building since I have lived here, from time to announement til the time the building is topped out, what kind of (approximate) timeframe are we looking at?

There are a lot of variables to deal with. Everything from permitting, to approvals, to getting the Goodyear folks to leave their current place of business, to other things that people better informed than me know about it. Even if this thing gets announced in the next few months, I'd say ground breaking is at least a year away. Though, I could be wrong. A lot of those things could already be in motion behind the scenes. 

There are a lot of variables to deal with. Everything from permitting, to approvals, to getting the Goodyear folks to leave their current place of business, to other things that people better informed than me know about it. Even if this thing gets announced in the next few months, I'd say ground breaking is at least a year away. Though, I could be wrong. A lot of those things could already be in motion behind the scenes. 

Yeah I would think they would already have permits and have the Goodyear people out by the time the announce something no?

Yeah I would think they would already have permits and have the Goodyear people out by the time the announce something no?

Not really, Most of the projects announced so far are still in various stages of Submission. Whether it be for the planning commission, city council, permitting, etc. You need to create buzz and get people to sign on to the project.

On another note, I saw an interesting thing in a center city partners document that stated this project will include 300 residences... I can't wrap my head around this building only being 1 tower, unless its organized like RBC PNC Center in Raleigh. The scale I have always been told is 35-40 multiuse, and on the tall side for 35-40. (But then again I was told two towers...)

Edited by Guest

Not really, Most of the projects announced so far are still in various stages of Submission. Whether it be for the planning commission, city council, permitting, etc. You need to create buzz and get people to sign on to the project.

On another note, I saw an interesting thing in a center city partners document that stated this project will include 300 residences... I can't wrap my head around this building only being 1 tower, unless its organized like RBC Center in Raleigh. The scale I have always been told is 35-40 multiuse, and on the tall side for 35-40.

That's interesting they announce that early. And do you mean PNC Plaza :thumbsup: ??

Edited by Jayvee