Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

Charlotte has very few luxury hotel rooms.  150 at the Ritz (most of which are used by BofA during the week) and the hotel is almost always 100% full from what I understand.

The Westin/Hilton/Omni/Marriott are all nice, but certainly not top tier.

Luxury hotels are doing very well right now, and for the amount of corporate travel here, Charlotte has way fewer rooms than most peers.  Austin for example has a W, Four Seasons, and InterContiental, plus a brand new JW Marriott under construction, all downtown.  Besides the state capital and Univ of Texas (which are major), the only major corporate draw downtown in Whole Foods.

Charlotte could definitely support 500+ additional 4-star+ rooms in Uptown.

• Like 1

Charlotte has very few luxury hotel rooms.  150 at the Ritz (most of which are used by BofA during the week) and the hotel is almost always 100% full from what I understand.

The Westin/Hilton/Omni/Marriott are all nice, but certainly not top tier.

Luxury hotels are doing very well right now, and for the amount of corporate travel here, Charlotte has way fewer rooms than most peers.  Austin for example has a W, Four Seasons, and InterContiental, plus a brand new JW Marriott under construction, all downtown.  Besides the state capital and Univ of Texas (which are major), the only major corporate draw downtown in Whole Foods.

Charlotte could definitely support 500+ additional 4-star+ rooms in Uptown.

Ritz is absolutely always full. I would argue to say that is the only luxury hotel in uptown. Omni is probably the next closest, but its not a Loews, JW Marriott, Le Meridien or even a W.

:D There is nothing luxury about Loews the way I pronounce it....

Edit; I find it peculiar that it the article said th office building was in addition to the hotel. I was under the impression office was the first priority and hotel was gonna be a small part along with residential. I also was under the impression it was going to be one building (the one Rcky did a mock-up on based off the description).

Everything I thought about this project seems very different than this brief article

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like this "transformative" design may not be as transformative as advertised. Unless they are including some serious space for retail...

I dont think the design was transformative as much as the project itself was going to be transformative. A new tower is much more transformative than GoodYear.

Betcha we'll see Portman and Crescent projects going vertical long before we see anything from Levine.

I respectfully disagree. The apartments have entered permitting, they will go vertical this spring.

What would be the reason for withholding or simply not producing (publicly) websites and renderings an official name etc?

Portman's tower had a massing and a rendering that looks nearly the same as the original from years ago. The only difference to me is now the glass resembles DEC's glass. Portman's tower also seemed (if I remember correctly) to have a sign with a rendering for years prior to the latest hoopla and momentum surrounding his project.

Is it possible that the design/scope is still yet to be determined? Too early in the design process?

What would be the reason for withholding or simply not producing (publicly) websites and renderings an official name etc?

Portman's tower had a massing and a rendering that looks nearly the same as the original from years ago. The only difference to me is now the glass resembles DEC's glass. Portman's tower also seemed (if I remember correctly) to have a sign with a rendering for years prior to the latest hoopla and momentum surrounding his project.

Is it possible that the design/scope is still yet to be determined? Too early in the design process?

Portman's looks completely different in my opinion. Much better look. 

As far as the other question goes, I've never been able to get an answer as to why all the secrecy. There is public info about size in the CBJ, 700,000 sq feet office, 300 hotel rooms, ( I heard another 150-200 residential included in addition) and quite a bit of retail its weird that there is no renderings. 

As far as the other question goes, I've never been able to get an answer as to why all the secrecy. There is public info about size in the CBJ, 700,000 sq feet office, 300 hotel rooms, ( I heard another 150-200 residential included in addition) and quite a bit of retail its weird that there is no renderings. 

Lack of renderings a year+ into this announcement certainly does cause a little bit of questioning or even a little anxiety about this project. It's a very valid point. No idea why nothing hasn't shown up yet. 

Did we ever get some ideas on height?? Or is that all speculative?? Given the amount of hotel rooms and office space I would guess it being pretty tall?

Did we ever get some ideas on height?? Or is that all speculative?? Given the amount of hotel rooms and office space I would guess it being pretty tall?

Until exact details and renderings are released, it's all speculation at this point. Unless someone can sneak into Little's office with their smart phone and take some pics of some model that supposedly exists..