Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

The timeline attached to the RFQ was that it'd be completed in 2017.  Can't recall if it gave a specific time in the year.  Hopefully I can get a peak at the renderings soon to clear up the 1-2 building thing.  My friend keeps forgetting to bring the material home from the office :angry:

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, no really.  wth?  it's been almost a month of non-existant chatter on this matter.  Is anything happening here or are there just a group of people out to screw with our heads?

EDIT: Anybody ever notice the terrible quote by Trump in the O article about this project?

Trump last year told the Observer he came to view the project as risky given the uptown economy’s heavy reliance on the banking industry. “If I had built that thing,” he said, “it would have been a disaster.”
Edited by AuLukey

Ok, no really.  wth?  it's been almost a month of non-existant chatter on this matter.  Is anything happening here or are there just a group of people out to screw with our heads?

EDIT: Anybody ever notice the terrible quote by Trump in the O article about this project?

Keep Calm and Chive On...

I was the one who spoke of getting a chance to see the renderings.  I got a look at them about a week ago, they're still sitting at my house.  I can try to post a better description of the building later.  But if this is what is moving forward it's not terribly transformational IMO.  Looking at other Little Architect buildings I would compare it's shape crudely to that of Phipps Tower in ATL, although our tower would be at least 15 stories taller.  There is an open air atrium with retail that runs in the middle of the building that makes it appear as two structures.  So when I was trying to explain earlier and Ricky Davis was stating he heard two buildings I think this is where it was coming from.  For those hoping for an Uptown dept store there is a large boxed area to the side of the lobby that looks prime for an anchor retailer so I am holding out hope for a Belk.

Sorry again for my vague description.  I don't want to post the pics unauthorized.  And don't take me saying that Phipps is an identical comparison.  It's just the closest looking shape of Little's portfolio that I could draw comparison to.  Once I know more about the bidding and who's received the go forward of the project I may feel its less of a risk to post a pic if it hasn't gone public yet.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 1

I was the one who spoke of getting a chance to see the renderings.  I got a look at them about a week ago, they're still sitting at my house.  I can try to post a better description of the building later.  But if this is what is moving forward it's not terribly transformational IMO.  Looking at other Little Architect buildings I would compare it's shape crudely to that of Phipps Tower in ATL, although our tower would be at least 15 stories taller.  There is an open air atrium with retail that runs in the middle of the building that makes it appear as two structures.  So when I was trying to explain earlier and Ricky Davis was stating he heard two buildings I think this is where it was coming from.  For those hoping for an Uptown dept store there is a large boxed area to the side of the lobby that looks prime for an anchor retailer so I am holding out hope for a Belk.

Sorry again for my vague description.  I don't want to post the pics unauthorized.  And don't take me saying that Phipps is an identical comparison.  It's just the closest looking shape of Little's portfolio that I could draw comparison to.  Once I know more about the bidding and who's received the go forward of the project I may feel its less of a risk to post a pic if it hasn't gone public yet.

Frankly I think that all sounds great, provided there is plenty of retail oriented to the street and not just this interior space. Something in the vein of Phipps aesthetically is fine with me, although I was of course hoping for something a little edgier in line with Little's asian portfolio. I think "transformational" was just a really poor choice of words that over-promises a bit to the imaginations of people like us, but this sounds more in line with what I realistically expected.

I think the size alone of a 40 story office building is transformational itself. But if it were to have a large foot print of retail and have. Belk or any dept. store among other retail.... That's very transformational in my book. Retail would be something office workers, visitors & residents could enjoy :)

I have an imagine in my head and I'm okay with it. However I'm not okay with only one tower. Not because one tower is not good enough, I just know that this is a very big lot and I would be very disappointed if it ends up looking like another superblock. If you could describe the street level when you get home I'd be very appreciative. 

The atrium sounds like it must be pretty large for someone to get the impression that one building is actually two.  It also makes the mention of a skywalk a bit confusing.  From the details it still sounds like a pretty interesting building with several unique elements.

Yes you do not want to post the pictures of the building too soon. Believe me from first hand experience, you do not want your pictures end up in the news and on the front page of the Charlotte Observer.....

Yes you do not want to post the pictures of the building too soon. Believe me from first hand experience, you do not want your pictures end up in the news and on the front page of the Charlotte Observer.....

HAHA, I was just going to post about your picture of Wachovia Tower :-). You were a mini celebrity. 

I have an imagine in my head and I'm okay with it. However I'm not okay with only one tower. Not because one tower is not good enough, I just know that this is a very big lot and I would be very disappointed if it ends up looking like another superblock. If you could describe the street level when you get home I'd be very appreciative. 

I tried to make a mock up in paint (obvious I'm not the creative type) to give you an idea of what it looks like on the street level.  So the blue and green area is the building which as mentioned above has a similar shape to Phipps but an open air atrium runs in the middle and almost divides it into two buildings.  I think above that open air atrium is where the sky walks will be to link both sides for people not on the first floor.  The big retail box next to the parking garage is where I have hope for a Belk.  And the white area above the labeled parts is just a set back from the corner of Stonewall and Tryon.  Hopefully this clears it up.

Building_Paint.jpg

• Like 1

I tried to make a mock up in paint (obvious I'm not the creative type) to give you an idea of what it looks like on the street level.  So the blue and green area is the building which as mentioned above has a similar shape to Phipps but an open air atrium runs in the middle and almost divides it into two buildings.  I think above that open air atrium is where the sky walks will be to link both sides for people not on the first floor.  The big retail box next to the parking garage is where I have hope for a Belk.  And the white area above the labeled parts is just a set back from the corner of Stonewall and Tryon.  Hopefully this clears it up.

Building_Paint.jpg

Thank you for giving us an imagery! I'm just wondering besides the potential of a Belk what other retail can go in that area. I have trouble seeing the retail that everyone is hoping for until there is much more population in uptown.

Thank you for giving us an imagery! I'm just wondering besides the potential of a Belk what other retail can go in that area. I have trouble seeing the retail that everyone is hoping for until there is much more population in uptown.

You mean population in uptown and SouthEnd.

If I'm not mistaken, back in Feb when the CBJ & CO got a hold of this story, it was supposed to link SouthEnd & Uptown as a destination or something? Some of us wondered if that meant as public-private cap of 277 (obviously a stretch) but I could see retail that is so easy for all surrounding areas to lingered integrate Uptown/SouthEnd

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

post-17104-0-51059600-1383322442_thumb.j

Putting together something based on your description (being similar to Phipps) and floorplan layout (for fun) is this anywhere close. WORK IN PROGRESS

Edited by Guest

I'm betting that the skywalk connection won't be at the VERY top if the impression was that it "looks like 2 separate buildings" but who knows. I feel reassured enough now that I have some new patience to wait for the official word! 

SouthEndCLT...does this site reach to College, or is that small office building remaining? I would hope that if it is a full block site that the College frontage isn't just parking deck. 

That's a hell of a design Ricky. Better copy right that.

Just wait til I'm done :-) I'll try to sneak it over to little. 

work in progress, I haven't designed a building in years :-(

post-17104-0-06578100-1383336410_thumb.j

Edited by Guest