Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

Honestly, I don't know anymore, I was optimistic for 1Q 2014, and it certainly could happen, but I'm not quite betting on it just yet. Announcements are coming... just don't know when :-(.

A co-worker said his friend mentioned working on something to do with this project a couple weeks ago. I don't have any more details than that, but things are still moving forward behind the scenes.

• 1 month later...

I had been posting the specs about the potential building design...  A GC has been chosen (Balfour Beatty) however I'm hearing that it is still a bit away.  Apparently the speculative nature of the build is holding it up.  Until tenants are lined up it will be difficult to get this thing off the ground.  All hearsay so take it for what it's worth.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

Wow, when I saw a new post in this thread I got so excited.......disappointing  :ermm:

Sorry, I hate that I resurrected this post a while back when I got a look at the renderings only to find out later that we are still a ways away from seeing any movement on this site.  I was hopeful when it went out for bid.

Sorry, I hate that I resurrected this post a while back when I got a look at the renderings only to find out later that we are still a ways away from seeing any movement on this site.  I was hopeful when it went out for bid.

Is it really going to be that big of a deal?? I just don't get it I guess. I understand it takes years to build a building but uptown is losing tenants EVERYDAY to southpark and ballantyne, with all the tenants we've lost in the last few months.....I dunno, can't we just get something going!?

:D Maybe possible tenants don't even know they plan on building a tower? Because I sure know I don't.

Edit: SouthEnd, It seems to me to be counterproductive to keep this thing under the wraps if the main holding point is getting tenants lines up. I believe having community support would make the visibility of this project huge which I would imagine would be good for prospective tenants. Especially if he business community throws its weight around in support of getting the tower built.

In all honesty, if I'm not mistaken, the office portion of this project wouldn't be very large anyway comparatively speaking, correct?

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

Re: discussion on lack of chances of speculative buildings in Uptown - could the cause be from local business pressure NOT to do such and force downward pressure on corporate rents?   I ask totally in the vein of not knowing anything about nothing in this regard - just a curious thought as to why Uptown never seems to build speculative compared to other areas of the city.

It just seems counter productive....."Let's not tell anybody about a building we need people to know about in order to build it" 

To Clarify - I meant about existing building owners who want to keep rent market stabilized vs adding a lot of space without tenants thereby adding pressure for them to lower rates.

To Clarify - I meant about existing building owners who want to keep rent market stabilized vs adding a lot of space without tenants thereby adding pressure for them to lower rates.

That implies rates are high enough to demand a spec. Tower though. Which leads back to the question; why so quiet on the details?

He means renderings, specs, time frame, websites, what makes the building transformative etc.

Something tangible and not just "we're planning something transformative" and leave it at that. The only facts made public are that it will primarily be office, will have ~300 apartment units and could include a hotel. Nothing else.

Even Trump Charlotte had websites, renderings, specs, contact

Information for retail & office, etc etc.

Even in your 11 month old article it says the developer wouldn't provide specifics on height, sq. footage or even a time frame.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

I don't think I would confuse them not releasing info to the general public (like us) as the same thing as this being a secret to all. I am sure they have shared their plans with anyone they have tried to line up as a tenant...and so far no takers.

Of course government officials, companies, contractors etc. know and it's no secret to all of them. But I'm talking public information.

He means renderings, specs, time frame, websites, what makes the building transformative etc.

1. He was asking why the project was a secret, I thought he may have missed the article. He says "Let's not tell anybody about a building we need people to know about in order to build it" which is a sentence clearly understood. I appreciate your assistance, but it is not necessary. There was a newspaper article about it, everyone that needs to know, knows who to contact. Everything else you mentioned about renderings, specs, timeline, etc. can be supplied by the groups mentioned in that article, to those with interest in being part of the development, which have been informed of the projects intentions by mass media. Any alterations to the plans mentioned in that article would obviously be made due to interest by parties that have responded positively to the project and made input on what they would like to see added/changed.

Actually - I believe Jayvee was responding to my post if I'm not mistaken...

We are all slowly losing it around here.  I can't even look at Austin, Miami or Toronto's boards anymore without just slipping into depression.

Dude, Nashville and Raleigh even depress me... Raleigh has the same amount of projects as us, but I feel like theres more momentum.

Infinitely more things still happening in Charlotte than in the Triangle.  That board is completely dead.  It used to be pretty active.  ???

We are all slowly losing it around here.  I can't even look at Austin, Miami or Toronto's boards anymore without just slipping into depression.

Also, everybody keep in mind that we are only 3 weeks into 2014.  It's not uncommon to have a bit of radio silence on this mega projects, especially when Charlotte's development and business environment is so heavily influenced by the banks.

I anticipate that we will be seeing a few projects start to hit the gas towards the middle to end of the first quarter.

We are all slowly losing it around here. I can't even look at Austin, Miami or Toronto's boards anymore without just slipping into depression.

I'm okay with our development (3rd ward is amazing now :)) but.... A large 40 story office tower is just too good to be true. I would much, much, much prefer an office tower over residential any day of the week. Because I feel like residential would follow the jobs.

I think it's quite odd Austin's main focal points are residential buildings considering it's not a beach destination. I can't think of another city like that. Pittsburg? Detroit? Charlotte? San Antonio? Columbus? Minneapolis? Albany? Denver? Don't think so.