Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

And we can officially put he 1,000 room hotel to rest (at least for the coming years) as officials have said hotels will come organically. Specifically mentioning embassy suites and crescent.

http://m.charlotteobserver.com/charlotte/db_97740/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=SR807mwa

I agree that the hotels need to come organically and not be forced. This is not a "if you build it they will come" situation. You can not build more hotel rooms if there is no demand for it. Otherwise you just get more empty hotel rooms. Sure it would be nice to have a 1,000 room hotel so everyone can be under one roof, but unless there is truly a demand for it, I could see a hotel that big being successful here......yet.

• 4 months later...

45 stories would be a very nice size.  I'm under the impression this was just an estimate from your source?  That'd put it on par with the size of the Hearst Building (roughly), so we'd be talking about a fairly prominent building on the skyline.  Add in the potential of it being "transformative" and this could be a doozy.

Maybe its being new, but I am under the assumption "transformative" just means something along the lines of dramatically alter, am I correct in this assumption? And yes, this building would be amazing, I wonder if we will see it in out lifetimes  :dontknow:

I think its a building we will see in the next 5 years, honestly. Hopefully thats within most of our lifetimes...

There is demand for office and for unique condos.

I've been hoping the design would be a scaled down version of trump. 

I'm still holding out hope that we would get two buildings here. Though, if it's 45 stories, can't complain too much I suppose. Given all the talk about various potential hotel projects in uptown maybe Crescent isn't interested in that. I agree with ricky_davis... would love to see some scaled down version of the original Trump project.

I'm still holding out hope that we would get two buildings here. Though, if it's 45 stories, can't complain too much I suppose. Given all the talk about various potential hotel projects in uptown maybe Crescent isn't interested in that. I agree with ricky_davis... would love to see some scaled down version of the original Trump project.

I've heard 2 buildings all along. I expect it to be 2 still. Its a very very big site.

I've been praying for a scaled down trump!! I mean, Little designed Trump Charlotte in the first place.

I wonder if it'd be taller than Duke? (Due to a crown)

If condo and office are stacked, it will be a decent bit shorter than duke. Duke is more like 54 floors in height because of the handle. I personally wouldn't want it to be taller than duke.

Any chance the "unreliable source" inside of Crescent can sneak a photo of this scale model?  Or is that a fire-able offense?  I don't know how these things work.

Haha the source it came from is someone I wouldn't ask to do that. And as i stated earlier... It's an unreliable source, but one none the less. Didn't hear much on terms of more than 1 building, but I'd trust ricky_davis...  and his source before mine. 

5 years? Really? Would that mean construction starts 4th qtr of 2014 and an announcement comes 4th qtr of this year?

The Embassy Suites might actually fill that gap between the Duke and the Juke some.

That image does look good.  More of a step down toward SouthEnd. 

Portman Plaza will help too, 17 floors on top of 2 floors of parking will be decently imposing. Nearly the height of westin.

I can't speak for Crescent, but I was never under the impression that Duke would be a target tenant for this project. And given they anchor the Duke Energy Center next door, I don't see them moving into a second gleaming new office tower. I suspect the target tenant is likely one that isn't currently in uptown (or Charlotte for that matter) or is looking at a major expansion of some kind (I know Ally Bank was brought up as a potential prospect). Those in the know could probably speak to it better than me though. 

Huh? What would give you that impression. The primary purpose of the Crescent project is to land new business, and provide space for OUTSIDE companies looking to expand into our growing metropolis.

It was a rhetorical question...It said in the article "With a big expiring lease, Duke was viewed as the type of anchor tenant that could prompt a new uptown office project like this one, but that seems unlikely now" just thought it was funny and off base.