Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

I just wanted to re-share with everyone that while having my radiator replaced at the Good Year back in July I had a conversation with the manager and asked if he had been told how long they have left there to which he advised: "we are guaranteed at least 2 years, possibly up to 3, at this location."

So unless the parking lot start getting developed first then it could be a while before anything solid is heard.

However, Ricky_Davis_Fan did respond back in July with: "Its also worth noting that Goodyear takes up only 1/6th of the land to be developed so its conceivable they could start on the rest and goodyear would operate for a little longer."

So there's always hope friends

Edited by RVA2CLT

• 3 weeks later...

Walking into work today, I noticed drilling equipment in the parking lot behind/beside the Goodyear - across from the Observer.  It was the kind of truck that has to put the "arms" across the sides to shore it up on the ground.  Possibly soil testing? And to toss another pie in the sky type of scenario, along the lines of "Transformative Project" - I wonder if the developers would consider eventually buying the Observer site and making it span both blocks.  I know, I'm living in a dreamland, but with the movement of the CO staff....empty building.  Prime location.  Gateway to the Southend......

• Like 1

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/12387-second-ward-projects/

To avoid mix ups, I moved the information about Crescent also trying to buy the parcel at Caldwell and Stonewall to the 2nd Ward thread.   

I can't help but wonder about how the two parcels will be interconnected.  Is it that they want the land for staging for now, or do they maybe want to control the timing or uses so as to not compete with their plans at Tryon and Stonewall?   

To me, it just doesn't make sense they'd build the city lot with a hotel as the expense of the good year site.

I'm not sure what the benefit would be? Except for land squatting build office tower on good year, hotel on the city parcel and have room for future development on the good year site.

or they plan to move the hotel portion of the 'transformative' project to the new site and plan to replace the hotel space in the 'transformative' building(s) with more office space. I will return from fantasy land shortly.....

How did I miss news about the auction process on the city parcels? Will the other parcels also be auctioned this way? Is the City's goal merely to get cash or are they trying to stimulate development? Do the terms of the sale at auction require action in a specified period?

or they plan to move the hotel portion of the 'transformative' project to the new site and plan to replace the hotel space in the 'transformative' building(s) with more office space. I will return from fantasy land shortly.....

How did I miss news about the auction process on the city parcels? Will the other parcels also be auctioned this way? Is the City's goal merely to get cash or are they trying to stimulate development? Do the terms of the sale at auction require action in a specified period?

That still doesn't make sense. Why not then just build office at the other site instead of moving things?

That still doesn't make sense. Why not then just build office at the other site instead of moving things?

Maybe to develop and sell to a hotel (Hyatt) in order to have the cash to develop the office tower without as much need for financing?

and be able to offer an office building with more large, contiguous blocks.  I would think that would be an easier advanced sale.

EDIT: Sorry, I wasn't suggesting Crescent moving the hotel out of the transformative project as a strong (or sensible) possibility. I was just speculating on what they could be up to with the additional parcel.

Edited by kermit

and be able to offer an office building with more large, contiguous blocks. I would think that would be an easier advanced sale.

Also I don't think moving things was ever an intention. Goodyear site will continue to be the Transformative Office Project.

I really think the current bids has Hyatt Regency tied into it as part of the bid. I've been hearing the worlds "400 Room Hyatt" for 2 years now. I think Hyatt is looking for partners to develop there and that's what the bidding process is about. Just my two cents.

With the shortage of large bock of office space in uptown.  I would think someone would get on the ball and start an office build now.  If Charlotte wants to attract new business uptown,  new office space and large blocks of office spaces are not available at the present.

Build it, and they will come. :good:

With the shortage of large bock of office space in uptown.  I would think someone would get on the ball and start an office build now.  If Charlotte wants to attract new business uptown,  new office space and large blocks of office spaces are not available at the present.

Build it, and they will come. :good:

Rental prices also have to be in line with construction costs. I'm no expert on the subject, but I believe ricky_davis or one of the other regulars on here said that uptown rental prices are currently below what new construction costs would necessitate to be financially viable. I'm assuming Portman maybe an exception since the foundation and parking structure already exist.

Has there been any recent update on the Embassy Suites uptown? I forgot when that is supposed to break ground, cause there is definitely no activity on the site.

They are updating the design to accommodate more units and an additional floor. Then it goes through approval process again. Breaking ground by 4th qtr 2014 or 1st qtr 2015

The Meck Times reports the following on the Crescent bid for the city parcel:

Tony Korolos, Charlotte real estate division manager, said Crescent has proposed buying the 5.3-acre parcel, at the southwest corner of Caldwell and Stonewall streets, and developing a mixed-use project that would include multifamily, retail and hotel uses. The city owns the land, making the City Council’s approval necessary.

“We’ve been working with them and other developers for probably the last year and we’ve looked at proposals and different development plans,” Korolos said. “And based on the numbers and the work on development in that area, we are proposing – rather we’re recommending – that the council go with Crescent.

Perhaps Crescent (and the city) see opportunities for the long-desired critical mass of retail to develop along Stonewall between their two projects?

http://mecktimes.com/news/2014/03/24/city-to-consider-selling-prime-parcel-for-apartments-retail/?utm_source=WhatCounts+Publicaster+Edition&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=City+to+consider+selling+prime+parcel+for+apartments%2c+retail&utm_content=City+to+consider+selling+prime+parcel+for+apartments%2c+retail

Edited by kermit

The Meck Times reports the following on the Crescent bid for the city parcel:

Perhaps Crescent (and the city) see opportunities for the long-desired critical mass of retail to develop along Stonewall between their two projects?

http://mecktimes.com/news/2014/03/24/city-to-consider-selling-prime-parcel-for-apartments-retail/?utm_source=WhatCounts+Publicaster+Edition&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=City+to+consider+selling+prime+parcel+for+apartments%2c+retail&utm_content=City+to+consider+selling+prime+parcel+for+apartments%2c+retail

That would be amazing stonewall heading into midtown.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/03/24/4791268/crescent-unveils-plans-for-2-uptown.html
Talk amongst yourselves
zaqu9ery.jpg

Between the two sites there will be:

750,000 sq. feet of office with the ability to grow up to 1,000,000 based on demand.

600 apartments

450 hotel rooms

70,000 sq feet of retail!

Grocery Store.

The article calls this rendering 27 floors but I see 30 with a 3-4 floor decorative top.

Edited by Guest

How bad was I in my attempts to describe this?? Glad it's finally out there for everyone to see.

I'm going to try to do a high res rendering of this as soon as I can. The massing is just so crazy and unique I love it. Theres hardly any true verticals in the building other than the Tryon side. Its only ever been described to me. Bravo, Amazing. Edited by Guest

Between the two sites there will be:

750,000 sq. feet of office with the ability to grow up to 1,000,000 based on demand.

600 apartments

450 hotel rooms

70,000 sq feet of retail!

Grocery Store.

This may be foolish optimism (and certainly a foolish amount of parsing of the Observer) but from the Observer article:

The firm wants to build another mixed-use project on the second site, which would include a 450-room hotel, 70,000 square feet of retail, including a grocery store, and 600 apartments, according to a city memo.

This suggests to me that the new (city owned) parcel will contain everything in RDF's list other than the office space. I am still holding out hope that their will be a substantial amount of additional retail in the Goodyear site.

Edited by kermit

This may be foolish optimism (and certainly a foolish amount of parsing of the Observer) but from the Observer article:

This suggests to me that the new (city owned) parcel will contain everything in RDF's list other than the office space. I am still holding out hope that their will be a substantial amount of additional retail in the Goodyear site.

It was previously indicated by AirNostrumMad that there would substantial space within the "atrium" and in a large space at the foot of the parking deck. The parking deck is the only thing bothering me about this building. I hate the massive rear loaded parking deck. I wish they could have buried it.