Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

In case you guys hadn't seen the rendering of the Trump project in New Orleans. Of all the Trump projects in the SE (Atlanta, Tampa, NO) this is the one that sounds the closest to what the Trump plans for Charlotte seem like:

496305an9.jpg

If this doesn't scale automatically would one of you guys take care of this for me?

Except hopefully ours is twice as tall.

I hope the curves and spires win the day.

I would really be depressed to see a box.

Duda Paine, really?

If that then you could include the Narmour Wrights or FMK's.

Maybe I'm missing something, gimme a reason for Duda Paine?

Because he is an amazing architect....BofA in Charlotte, Frost Tower in Austin, Terminus (under construction) in Atlanta, and a lot more while with Pelli.

Little, LS3P, SRSS are fine, but we have SOOOOO much of them in this town. I really want to step outside the mold. Paine would give us something unique to Charlotte IMO.

Can someone tell me how Gazi expects to build a "high rise" as Doug Smith eludes to in his most recent unveiling when the zoning outside the loop has significant height restrictions? Is this tract where the jewelry store and coffee shop are? Surely that site does not enjoy the priviledges of UMUD zoning.?

That tract has UMUD zoning, as do several othet tracts up and down Morehead and scattered throughout the South End. The most southern UMUD tract is at the corner of Camden and Worthington.

I had just this discussion with associates last night. If they didn't have that site somehow secured, this announcement would have been foolish. We've had other projects announced without fully securing land and it becomes a nightmare if that happens. I'd think this project is far further along than indicated in the paper since they named the site. Doug also doesn't announced peoples projects and work without them giving info and basically approving it.

Im just curious...i am new to urban planet and i was wondering how you guys get all of this information before it comes out... I always wait for doug smith to say something and that kinda stinks!!!

Im just curious...i am new to urban planet and i was wondering how you guys get all of this information before it comes out... I always wait for doug smith to say something and that kinda stinks!!!

surveillance, informants, associates, double agents, bedfellows, and tactful espionage. the life of an urban enthusiast is quite a rush.

*this post (might) self destruct in 2 minutes

Edited by cinco

we work in various fields that sometimes give us glimpses at things. some are directly invovled. others comb public record, you'd be surprised what can simply be found!

:ph34r:

At this point I am just breathing all this in and trying to appreciate the moment. We say this all the time, but this truly is an amazing time to live in this city. To think that only a short while ago the Epicentre project was jaw-dropping news... now we have almost half a dozen 50+ story towers looming on the horizon and a sea of smaller towers growing like weeds. And that doesn't even count the stuff we haven't heard about... which, judging by the details coming out in the last couple of days, is obviously quite a lot!

Our grandkids are going to ask us one day what Charlotte was like in 2007, back before everything got built.

I wouldn't mind seeing something from Pickard Chilton or NBBJ. What are your thoughts altrvr?

I do like Pickard Chilton a lot....I'm not familiar with NBBJ. I cruised their website, and it looks like they are pretty focused in the NW. It seems though that maybe Trump won't be going for a starchitect after all. If they plan on surpassing BofA in height, then it better surpass it in beauty.

now we have almost half a dozen 50+ story towers looming on the horizon and a sea of smaller towers growing like weeds. And that doesn't even count the stuff we haven't heard about... which, judging by the details coming out in the last couple of days, is obviously quite a lot!

very true statement. ;)

more to come sooner rather than later. :)

I do like Pickard Chilton a lot....I'm not familiar with NBBJ. I cruised their website, and it looks like they are pretty focused in the NW. It seems though that maybe Trump won't be going for a starchitect after all. If they plan on surpassing BofA in height, then it better surpass it in beauty.

First, you are absolutely right with NBBJ being primarily in the NW of the country. Funny enough, the way I stumbled onto that firm was because of my aunt who currently lives in Seattle (and works in one of NBBJ's towers). Second, I think we can agree that Pickard Chilton would add a nice touch to Charlotte's growing skyline? Also, when you said LS3P the first thing that came to mind was the incredible Parkdale HQ. Inside and out, has to be one of the best corporate office buildings I have ever seen. I absolutely love it.

First, you are absolutely right with NBBJ being primarily in the NW of the country. Funny enough, the way I stumbled onto that firm was because of my aunt who currently lives in Seattle (and works in one of NBBJ's towers). Second, I think we can agree that Pickard Chilton would add a nice touch to Charlotte's growing skyline? Also, when you said LS3P the first thing that came to mind was the incredible Parkdale HQ. Inside and out, has to be one of the best corporate office buildings I have ever seen. I absolutely love it.

I agree with Pickard Chilton...wonderful portfolio, and the Kuala Lumpur towers are no less than stunning. Their style seems to be slick, sleek and coolly sexy without being gaudy or too avant garde. Somehow not quite Trumpesque. I think some controversy in the skyline is good, but please...quality, not gaudy or strange, like some of the new ick being built/proposed for Paris

What a week for Charlotte!Trump was just on Letterman...mentioned he was just in Toronto. In a few years he may be announcing he was just in Charlotte.

My mom and dad settled in Charlotte after WWII in 1947. When my uncle from Cincinnati came to visit, my dad took him uptown to "see the buildings". After a few minutes my uncle commented:

"You're showing me the same buildings!" My dad and uncle are both deceased now, but it would really be a kick to have them back taking that same uptown tour in 2012 (or even now, for that matter).

I sincerely hope this is the jolt needed to get I-277 capped. It could be like the National Mall in D.C.

Nothing wrong with more green space. Look what the promise of some has done for Third Ward.

Thanks to UP for keeping us all informed on what's happening in the QC.

Maybe a play on Bank of America's heart strings since he was the lead on there building with Caesar. I have no clue. I am not sure about MW, but FMK has never built anything over 10 stories as far as I know, at least not there in Charlotte.

The BofA thing is a good point on DP.

What I meant was just scope & size of firm. Wasn't trying to slight DP, & wasn't trying to say NW or FMK could, but when I read it again it sounded bad.

Because he is an amazing architect....BofA in Charlotte, Frost Tower in Austin, Terminus (under construction) in Atlanta, and a lot more while with Pelli.

Little, LS3P, SRSS are fine, but we have SOOOOO much of them in this town. I really want to step outside the mold. Paine would give us something unique to Charlotte IMO.

I retract my statement.

When the rumours started flying about Trump's interest in Charlotte, lots of UP posters voiced concerns that Trump's projects in other cities were gaudy and tacky.

The two designs for Trump Toronto are both wonderful (I particularly admire the first design) Let's all hope that he builds something Uptown for the ages, and not a flat roofed behemouth.

Uptown Charlotte was LUCKY enough to dodge the bullet known as First Union 4. Imagine having to look at such an ugly monstrosity everytime you go to work and every time Charlotte is shown in magazines, film, postcards etc. (Was it supposed to be a giant feather????????)

Charlotte dodged a huge bullet on that one. Surely Trump wouldn't build anything as fuggly as FU 4!!!!