Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

a department store maybe?

exactly! We need to capitalize on the prospect of retail. A department store is a great idea, although not on the scale of the size of the anchors in South Park. Downtown residents should have a nice place to shop within walking distance, since the downtown area population is supposed to be up to 26,000 by 2012. Perhaps a Saks, Bloomingdales, or maybe a Barneys...prob. not, but there is hope. Once we get some kind of big store like that, it will be a catalyst to a buzzing business sector.

or... I know this idea has been going around UP, but a Barnes and Nobles or Borders is really not a bad idea, esp. since the location would be a prime hotspot for business and whatnot. Maybe we could even fit a Virgin store in there somehow, I'm sick of seeing an emptiness of places to shop along south tryon.

It's probably just me, but besides being very excited about the possible Trump project, I would really love to see a tower with some rounded edges & some good curving sweeps. All of the recent towers are just too squared off, and although some of them look nice, many are just plain boring for my Dubai kind of taste.

I think we need more curves and less squares to really set apart Charlotte's next big tower! Just my opinion. :whistling:

This is one of the reasons why Charlotte is such an awesome place to be in right now!

I notice it was mentioned a few pages ago, but I find it quite interesting (for lack of a better word) that all of this construction is going on not too long after 9/11. There seemed to be so many saying that high rise construction had seen its heyday and would pretty much be a rare thing moving forward.

This project, once complete, will definitely put Charlotte in a different league. Now all we have to do is get all of those parking lots on the east side of Trade St. filled with buildings too.

Hey Mo - about that picture book I mentioned you could do with your photographs - maybe add "a crane pictoral" as a coffe table book too! :lol:

Thanks for the kudos - I like steel, concrete, cables, wind and just overall eb and flow!

If I had to guess.... :whistling:

SRSS

LS3P

LITTLE

DUDA PAINE

I know I am late here, but those would be my guesses.

Duda Paine, really?

If that then you could include the Narmour Wrights or FMK's.

Maybe I'm missing something, gimme a reason for Duda Paine?

So did The O even obliquely reference this thread on UP that has been up for weeks before they "broke" the story? If they did I missed it....

Yes, they did. I'm not sure why occasionally we see this veiled contempt for the Observer when they aren't first to announce something that is rumored on here. I for one am glad that the local NEWSPAPER doesn't deal in idle speculation.

Bottom line...if one of us is wrong...it really doesn't amount to much. A newspaper has a reputation to protect and they can't be publishing speculation and inuendo.

I not only can't figure out why that's so hard to understand, but I also don't get the pissiness that seems to accompany the remarks that some make.

I've been thinking the same thing as Swampfox----how nice it would look for a potential TrumpCharlotte tower to be a rounded building of some sort. There are lots of strong edges on most of the buildings Uptown. The tallest building Uptown being non-square shaped would make a refreshing change.

Yes, they did. I'm not sure why occasionally we see this veiled contempt for the Observer when they aren't first to announce something that is rumored on here. I for one am glad that the local NEWSPAPER doesn't deal in idle speculation.

Bottom line...if one of us is wrong...it really doesn't amount to much. A newspaper has a reputation to protect and they can't be publishing speculation and inuendo.

I not only can't figure out why that's so hard to understand, but I also don't get the pissiness that seems to accompany the remarks that some make.

Newspapers probably hate and at the same time, envy folks like us. ;)

Something like Aquarius, planned for Atlanta?

05.jpg

As long as it's at least twice the height ...

Something like Aquarius, planned for Atlanta?

That is an interesting building...I like it.

Newspapers probably hate and at the same time, envy folks like us. ;)

I'm sure you are right about that! We have some freedom thanks to the internet that newspapers or the news in general could never have. It's pretty awesome really...

As long as it's at least twice the height ...

New photo. ;)

Anyone know if Trump has done any LEED certified projects or what chances we have of that happening?

That would be cool. Aquarius, the planned tower for Atlanta I mentioned, will not only have nice, sleek, curved architectural features, but will also have green features. If Trump has never considered LEED certification, he should consider that or at least incorporating green features.

Duda Paine, really?

If that then you could include the Narmour Wrights or FMK's.

Maybe I'm missing something, gimme a reason for Duda Paine?

Maybe a play on Bank of America's heart strings since he was the lead on there building with Caesar. I have no clue. I am not sure about MW, but FMK has never built anything over 10 stories as far as I know, at least not there in Charlotte.

Can someone tell me how Gazi expects to build a "high rise" as Doug Smith eludes to in his most recent unveiling when the zoning outside the loop has significant height restrictions? Is this tract where the jewelry store and coffee shop are? Surely that site does not enjoy the priviledges of UMUD zoning.?

Yea, they have to be. They wouldn't announce the exact lot they'll build on without having it secured, prices would skyrocket.

I had just this discussion with associates last night. If they didn't have that site somehow secured, this announcement would have been foolish. We've had other projects announced without fully securing land and it becomes a nightmare if that happens. I'd think this project is far further along than indicated in the paper since they named the site. Doug also doesn't announced peoples projects and work without them giving info and basically approving it.

In case you guys hadn't seen the rendering of the Trump project in New Orleans. Of all the Trump projects in the SE (Atlanta, Tampa, NO) this is the one that sounds the closest to what the Trump plans for Charlotte seem like:

496305an9.jpg

If this doesn't scale automatically would one of you guys take care of this for me?