3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

Just now, rjp212 said:

That's a tacky name, so I'm guessing apartments...

But please have at least a little bit of retail on the corner.   Perhaps a sports bar and then something can also go into the building that was going to be a tapas place.

That Tapas Place is searching for a new spot apparently. That building just didn't work out. Which sucks, there were plans to add a rooftop deck ON TOP of the building.

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, Prodev said:

I think in all likelihood there will be a parking agreement with the existing deck like the hotel has and no new parking will be built. That's 100% speculation though. 

That was the case in 2005, I think it will be the case with this as well. Which is partially why I think the 17-22 floor number, instead of any higher. 

1 hour ago, rjp212 said:

ImThat's a tacky name, so I'm guessing apartments...

But please have at least a little bit of retail on the corner.   Perhaps a sports bar and then something can also go into the building that was going to be a tapas place.

Wouldn't be surprised to see catalyst priced condos. (250-550) You don't see the word loft attached to too many rental buildings.

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, Jayvee said:

99% chance that won't be the final name. At least I hope haha. And retail will be super tricky at this site due to egress. But a small sports bar would CRUSH it here. 

99% chance? Have you spoken with sources or is this just a very certain speculation?

It is quite an obvious development site that has escaped for quite a lot of cycles.  But now, with everything gelled in 3rd ward, it seems to be extremely solid development site to finally be built on.   

I hope it is a pure return of the ambition that Furman once had for the site.  It would also be nice if this trend of building the tower with financing from half of it being a hotel (with lower parking needs) and then adding as many condo units as you can get away with.    Condominiums are still seeming impossible to build outright with waiting for deposits with sales.  But building them speculatively should allow them to close.   The buy vs rent ratio is quite strongly in favor of buying and surely the uptown millennials (and the other demographics) are able to buy with mortgages at this point over such high rents. 

20 minutes ago, HopHead said:

Were there any renderings for this prospective condo tower? Would be curious to see how it would look in that plot of land by the parking deck.

Nope. Jayvee and I just put 2 and 2 together, and then did a bunch of research. Hopefully we will be able to uncover more official details and info.

8 minutes ago, HopHead said:

I was actually referring to when this came up in 2005. 

Oh. Sorry. Unfortunately no renderings still exist of it, at least that I have in my records. I'll turn on my ancient Mac when I get home and see if I still have one. 

Just now, dubone said:

I don't think that original plan ever went public, but the promise of it was part of trying to gain approval for the land swap.   

In the original land swap documents, it references the parcel by its tax ID a couple times. Though doesn't give much additional info.

17 hours ago, rjp212 said:

That's a tacky name, so I'm guessing apartments...

Is it any less tacky than the "Courtside" apartments near the arena?

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, abttown said:

If you check out the 300 South Tryon webcam, you can see the workers at Packard Place painting (?) a funky looking design on the lounge area patio.  This project seems to be moving very sloooowly, but it's looking good 

ugh Looks like an early 2000s Old Navy Board Short design

Just now, tozmervo said:

that is both eerily specific and very accurate. 

The artist that is doing it is pretty RAD. So hopefully this is just early stages of something that will end up great. But it kind of shows who they expect their clientele to be. Dude Bros.

9 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

The artist that is doing it is pretty RAD. So hopefully this is just early stages of something that will end up great. But it kind of shows who they expect their clientele to be. Dude Bros.

Maybe the name of the bar will be AFFLICTION or TAP/OUT.

Just now, ah59396 said:

Maybe the name of the bar will be AFFLICTION or TAP/OUT.

haha, well its "Ink & Ivy" which to me might as well be pronounced Affliction. At least they are building out a dope ass space for the next tenant to occupy.

Edited by Guest

48 minutes ago, abttown said:

You're all right.  Now it suddenly doesn't look as funky.  Good thing is you can't really see it from street-level except from that small section of Church.  Maybe the Sun can help fade it out over time?

Hot Taco and All American Pub all have Painted patio floors as well. I admit I've never noticed... 

While I still lament that there is no retail and it is cars behind bars, if developers are going to give us crappy ground levels, this is how to do it. It is of note that there will be funky looking benches under the brick murals as well as arbors on the sides. I also enjoy the mix of tree wells and planter boxes. Graham is a pretty scary street to walk on but at least they put forth an effort (this is Circa Uptown). The exterior (2nd floor and up) is certainly well designed too.

IMG_0140.JPG

IMG_0141.JPG

IMG_0142.JPG

IMG_0143.JPG

IMG_0144.JPG

IMG_0145.JPG