The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/8/2024 at 2:56 PM, gman430 said:

Work now underway on the Prisma Health building project. Construction fencing going up around the site. 

I like their advertising of the space as a part of a “destination neighborhood.” Aspirational, and hopefully true. All they really need is some quality (and curated) retail tenants, along with a legitimate proposal to develop the parking lot. An additional injection of a substantial 24-hour population would be huge. 

IMG_1353.jpeg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

I like their advertising of the space as a part of a “destination neighborhood.” Aspirational, and hopefully true. All they really need is some quality (and curated) retail tenants, along with a legitimate proposal to develop the parking lot. An additional injection of a substantial 24-hour population would be huge. 

IMG_1353.jpeg

Pretty cool to see one of the proposals for this site:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6HaRvNOfRJ/?img_index=2

Edited by gman430
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, GVLer said:

I had VERY high hopes for Bellwether since Urban Wren is outstanding. But honestly it is just meh.

me too. Liberty was run down and in need of an overhaul, but Bellwether is expensive and sterile. 

Glad I'm not the only one. Bellweather is too expensive for a mini-van family, and it isn't elevated enough for the Urban Wren crowd.

I've been twice. $80 (w/ tax & tip) for 2 mediocre burgers w/ fries, 2 kids meals, and 2 beers? I'll just get some BBQ or Mexican down the street.  

Their grab and go is tough for that location. You either need a lot of residents in the area or dedicated parking. 

Sadly I am in the same boat. I ate there for dinner a few months ago and was not impressed. I don’t like how it’s one big open space with no walls. It’s just weird and definitely creates a noise issue inside. Dare I say I actually liked Liberty Tap Room more and kind of miss it.

Edited by gman430

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, vistatiger said:

Topside Pool Club latest casualty of the SC Liquor Liability Law.  Gotta a feeling there is a lot more to come.

https://www.wyff4.com/article/greenville-club-closes-due-to-liquor-liability-law/60806582

I would be quite upset if I paid for my membership all winter only for it to close prior to pool season to open. 

4 hours ago, Danmire said:

And the SC Statehouse is out of session until January 2025 so nothing will be done until at least then.  Can't believe the legislative is done for the year and it's only May

They need time to campaign. The primaries are less than a month away.   

15 hours ago, btoy said:

Didn't even know Topside Pool Club was a thing, when I saw the head line I thought it was a different kind of pool.

The waiting list to get into local community pools is insane. Like multiple years of waiting.  They could have dropped their liquor license and re-targeted to stay at home Moms with kids, birthday parties and events, the healthy/holistic non-drinking crowd, etc.

I feel like this insurance requirement is scape-goating some poor business practices. 

• Like 2