Charlotte Supermarkets

monsoon

So I tried out the new Lidl on Monroe Rd yesterday.  I liked it.  It was like a sleeker, fresher, brighter upgraded Aldi.  And they have a little bakery department in the front too, which was a nice touch.  I was surprised that about half their stock was national brands and the other half their in-house brands.  Aldi is like 98% Aldi stuff.   I don’t have any grocery store allegiances (although HT is dead to me), and if they ever build the one on South Blvd, which I think would be the closest one to downtown, I would definitely shop there too. 

Edited by turbocraig
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Crown said:

Organic grocery chain Earth Fare has begun closing its stores, including all of its Charlotte stores via @KatiePeralta on twitter. Employees found out this morning. 

Wow, going to leave some major vacancies at Morrison Village in South Park, Toringdon near Ballantyne, their stand alone store in Steele Creek, et. 

4 minutes ago, Crown said:

How does the Wegmen's footprint compare to earthfares? 

75-140,000 sq feet for Wegmans 

Earthfare is closer to Trader Joes size, maybe around 25,000 sq feet

Edited by Guest

7 hours ago, Crown said:

How does the Wegmen's footprint compare to earthfares? 

Wegmans stores are 5x as big averaging 100K sq ft vs. 20-24K for Earthfare.

I think Aldi's owned Trader Joes would be great in some of their locations and who knows Sprouts may want to increase market presence. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JRNYP2C said:

Beat me to it!!!  Bring it on!  Wegman's could have some good locations here!  Ready to move in!

Wegmans stores are huge and they won't budge on that even the one in Brooklyn is probably the largest grocery store in NYC.    Don't worry they will be in Charlotte they would not building their new distribution center north of Richmond to serve what they said were their NC and SC stores.  (Wegmans said that in negotiations with the state of NC which lost the project to VA)

Wegmans #2 in NC opens this summer in west Cary followed by 4 more stores in that market.  I believe you will see a south Charlotte Ballantyne location announced by years end.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

The article does pose a great question though, who will make it out alive in Charlotte? Neighborhood Market isn't going anywhere and Teeter, Publix, and Aldi are clearly safe. Who is the low habging fruit? Fresh Market is struggling and I don't think we'll see Food Lion too much longer. Who else? 

Food Lion is fine. Fresh Market, I think, is probably not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Food Lion is fine. Fresh Market, I think, is probably not. 

I agree Food Lion is very strong in this market just not in the most affluent areas.  Not as many in south Charlotte but many in NW Charlotte, N Charlotte and NE and East Charlotte.  

Fresh Market I sure hope they make it.  Charlotte has been an extremely grocery market for decades but it is rapidly growing too.  Northern NJ they cite in that article is not.  

BiLo was the weakest in the fight and they were squeezed out a few years back.  It is truly about location in the grocery market and most shoppers won't travel more than 5 miles in this market for any store. 

Just wait to Wegmans enters the market.  Raleigh right now is more competitive than Charlotte market. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, turbocraig said:

Fresh Market has lost my business.  The customer service at the new Strawberry Hill store stinks.  I was surprised since they were already kind of old news by the time they reopened and thought they’d make up for it in service.  Nope.  

Fresh Market has a 2.2 on glassdoor from 1,700 employee reviews. They regularly make lists of the worst employers. Only 20% would recommend working there and only 24% approve of the CEO. Most Fresh Market's I have been to, the employees aren't very friendly, happy, or nice. Given the price premium of their products.... it is hard to justify going to be in such a negative place to shop.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2018/06/15/worst-companies-to-work-for-employee-reviews/35812171/

Edited by CLT2014

42 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Fresh Market has a 2.2 on glassdoor from 1,700 employee reviews. They regularly make lists of the worst employers. Only 20% would recommend working there and only 24% approve of the CEO. Most Fresh Market's I have been to, the employees aren't very friendly, happy, or nice. Given the price premium of their products.... it is hard to justify going to be in such a negative place to shop.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2018/06/15/worst-companies-to-work-for-employee-reviews/35812171/

I had a good friend that worked at FM in East Tennessee for a short while many years ago, and he by far and away won the "worst job" stories. They sound like an appalling company to work for and have been for some time. 

• Like 1

I went to the Earth Fare in Morrison in Southpark this weekend.  My friend who works in the industry said he think it would be a little big for Trader Joes but would fit great for an Aldi or Lidl.    Since the barriers to entry are so high in the southpark market and they will be only 3 grocery stores including the Taj Ma Teeter, the Whole Foods and the upcoming Publix another grocery store in such a dense heavily populated affluent market makes a lot of sense.  

By the way the entire store is 10-30% off but mostly 10% off and everything is going quick.  Overhead someone say that location has more inventory than the other stores.  

Saw this sign and another one not pictured showing the CEO and something like he fired 3500 people in one day.  Be kind to the remaining employees because I do believe they were totally taken off guard. 

earthfaresign.jpg

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2